Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #646
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Interesting to see that Patches' Jack Russel blood has started to shown a bit more as he's gotten a little older, he seemed more distinctively Heeler in the older shots. Still a cutie, though! Never had the toilet paper thing with my dog, who also loves herding, but otherwise the problems sound all too familiar. Do you play ball with him much? Get a few different sized ones and see which one he prefers - he'll treat the play as 'work' and might chill out a bit indoors. Guess that's a pretty simple answer, but good luck with him!
Thanks!
Fetch is the best game ever! To him, at least. He'll throw his own toys to chase and catch, but yeah. LOVES to fetch, then loves to play tug of war in between throws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Aw he's cute! So he's a Jack Russell/heeler mix? That is one fiesty mix! I can see why he'd be giving you a run for your money! Both breeds are very smart, energetic, can be somewhat stubborn and hard. Very tenacious dogs because they are bred for dangerous work. A huge personality in a little package. Gotta stay one step ahead!
Yup, we have a so-called "designer dog." Whatever. He's a cute little mutt I bought myself for my birthday. You're right about the huge personality.
Do you think playing fetch could help with the recall command? Cause he wants to bring the ball to me so I'll throw it again.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #647
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:58 PM
I agree that most any dog may steal food if no one's watching, but surely it's not a total lost cause to break dogs of the habit of begging at table? Every dog I've ever had begged as a puppy, but none of them begged at table after probably about 1 year of age. I 'taught' my last dog, a pug, not to beg at table by simply ignoring his very obnoxious and pushy attempts at it completely (granted, you probably couldn't afford that strategy with a bigger, stronger dog), and I remember my father taught all the collies we had when I was a kid a command--can't remember the word(s) anymore--that basically meant "Go sit quietly in the corner!", and he'd just use that if they tried to beg, in their heartstring-tuggingly 'sweet' manner, from guests (they knew better than to even bother with us).

Sure wish I'd had a nice concise set of instructions like Lies' on how to teach a dog "Come!" when Falstaff was little. Especially the "Make sure when you say it, it doesn't sound angry" part...I did that far too many times before eventually realizing I was only undermining myself. If anything, it's probably an especially dumb mistake to make with hardheaded, stubborn dogs, because they tend to find a contest of wills great fun.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #648
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Whenever my blood sugar is off, my shih-tzu mix Finn always senses something is wrong. Sometimes, he can tell before I can feel it. I must give off a scent when my blood sugar is too high or too low. I'm running high today, so he's been watching me like a hawk.

Here's a picture of him today with Lanny, our collie-shephard mix.

And with his brother Felix

Love them. And next Wendesday we are adding Phoebe, a shih-tzu pup to the brood! I think I posted a pic of her a few pages back.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

Where's the new Tzu pup? Pics!!!

Here's a video of Nikon with a few fun outtakes at the end:
Nikon 10 Months on Vimeo
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #650
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samralf View Post
Samson!! I love collies. I have been looking for a good collie breeder for over a year now and I only found one. They are so hard to find anymore.
The one we got Samson from is wonderful, if you're willing to make a trip up to southwestern Ontario at some point.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #651
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Where's the new Tzu pup? Pics!!!

Here's a video of Nikon with a few fun outtakes at the end:
Nikon 10 Months on Vimeo
Nikon is a cutie!

We are actually getting her Tuesday night. The breeder is driving down from Maine to Massachusetts to visit family. She's bringing Phoebe, her brothers, the parents, and her other shih-tzu's that she keeps to breed and as pets. My mom and I have talked to her a few times on the phone. You can tell she's a good breeder, really cares about her dogs. She only breeds them once a year and seems interested in knowing the pups are going to a good home. Phoebe is only $500, which is cheap for a shih tzu. I would like our next dog to be a shelter dog.

Here is Phoebe at 3 weeks. She is 9 weeks now.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #652
War Child

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Sam and Lily. It looks rough but they play like this all the time.

Sam is a Golden Retriever but my husband had me shave him. It's the first and last time!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #653
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, the dogs are so cute
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #654
ONE
love, blood, life

trying to get some pics here......
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #655
ONE
love, blood, life

This is DJ and Pearl, our yellow labs and litter mates.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #656
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #657
War Child

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Awww..they're best buds
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #658
Blue Crack Addict

I've spent I don't know how much on toys and bones, etc. for Patches, but his absolute favourite toy is half a rubber volleyball the kids next door threw over the fence and he popped. Big enough for fetch and stretchy enough for tug.

He's been behaving himself in the house lately, though we still need a lot of work on the recall command. I thought he had it, but he still won't listen when he's excited or trying to get away with something. Petsmart has obedience classes. I think that's our next step.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #659
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I agree that most any dog may steal food if no one's watching
Samson will never take food from the table if we're there. But if it's on a coffee table so it's low to the ground and close to him, he'll stand there and stare at it intently, licking himself, hoping he'd get some. He'll still not grab for it though.

However, one time my brother was making steaks and there were two smaller ones that were finished before the others so he put them on a plate and on a kitchen table that was pretty low. Everyone was out on the deck for the BBQ and when he went back in there, sure enough they were both eaten with gusto. It was kind of funny seeing the grease trail through the kitchen, into the hallway, down the stairs, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #660
Blue Crack Addict

Tomorrow, Phoebe comes to her new home! We have everything prepared for her. I'm so excited!