For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:52 AM
I am a worried furmama gracie goes under the knife wednesday and stays overnite with the vet that I wanted her to see. My lil girl I am sure she will be ok but I am sure you all know what I am talking about. I am going to make sure she has her fav pillow and blanket when I take her in wed morning.

Just had to spill it.thx for listening.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #617
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:52 AM
good luck U2F4 for gracie!

if you have any leanings toward complementary medicine & such.........
and have access to a Health Food store or an amenable Pharmacy I suggest (homeopathic) Bach (insert rest of name) Remedies.....
.... their item called Rescue Remedy .

It was started for people.
There are many people with fur kids who find it very useful when an animal is sick,injured, very stressed out etc.

thanks liesje

wow, i guess I thought whippets were smaller than what I saw, b/c i thot it was a greyhound - i asked.

I don't think i've ever seen a dog in my nabe or eleswhere around the boroughs with a brindle pattern... which why it doubly caught my attention!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

One of my favorite breeds - the Dutch Shepherd - is usually brindle. Others are/can be Akitas, Boxers, pit bulls/staffies/bullies, Mastiffs, Basenjis, Plotts, Great Danes....

(2 brindle Dutch Shepherds)
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #619
Blue Crack Addict

OK as for hip dysplasia, basically that means there is some malformation of the hip joint, which is a ball-and-socket type joint. There are two components - how the ball fits into the socket (how much coverage there is, the more the better), and the shape of the ball joint. Laxity and/or misshapen femoral heads = hip dysplasia. To confirm, you x-ray the hips. There is no hard line of what is HD and what isn't. In North America, two organizations review x-rays and "grade" hips, PennHIP and OFA. Because the OFA has an online searchable database, it is more commonly used. But, the accuracy of the grading/diagnosis is really only as good as the person taking the films and the person reading them. Bad films (bad positioning) are impossible to grade accurately and often are sent back, especially if the dog is not obviously dysplastic or obviously not dysplastic (some hips look so good, even poor positioning doesn't matter). Luckily, my breeder's husband is basically the world expert in veterinary radiology and now runs a clinic from their home. He did Nikon's hip and elbow prelims at 7 months and he will do them again at 2 years where they will be submitted for a grade/score (even though he is every bit as qualified to read the films himself and had a hand in starting both of these organizations, plus all the research).

Basically, what HD means for a dog is arthritis in the hips. There is a huge spectrum of severity. For example THIS DOG is mildly dysplastic and is a nationally ranked agility dog. I know of another GSD that has already had a hip replacement and isn't yet 3 years old. Borderline or mild dogs can often be managed with joint supplements, keeping them very lean, and avoiding activities that stress these joints.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #620
Blue Crack Addict

This weekend was big for Nikon.

On Friday, we had 6 hours of Schutzhund training. On top of that, the breeder and owner of Nikon's father was visiting from Germany. He breeds and trains dogs, and is a breed warden and SV judge. He wanted to see Nikon and complimented him very much. I'm waiting for our picture. Luckily, Nikon did REALLY well in all the obedience exercises and his bitework was also good.

Saturday Nikon took the CGC test a week early. He passed nine of ten test items. Two weeks ago I was laughing about this test being a waste of the instructor's time. But, in just two weeks he has learned to do the heeling pattern, heel through a crowd, and heel past another dog!

Sunday was the last day of the UKC Premier, a HUGE annual dog event. We took Nikon along and the dock diving club let us enter the drop-in at the practice pool, so we had lots of turns acclimating Nikon to the pool and the dock diving equipment.

Here's a few pics from the Premier:

Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #621
Blue Crack Supplier

cool pics!
good for Nikkon!

thsnks for the info
So a mishappened ball joint at the top of the fermoral bone is one type

but the other type is ? if the way the socket in the hip is not as enclosed as it should be for that type of socket

like the human shoulder bone socket for the head of our upper arm is a relatively flat-tish socket VS out hip bone socket which is deep and it should be deep covering a lot of our femora <sp?> bone ball-joint at the top of the bone.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #622
Blue Crack Addict

It's not really a type, they are just both components of the syndrome. From German Shepherd Central, "In dogs who are suffering from hip dysplasia, the ball does not fit snugly within the socket; the head of the femur can be shaped incorrectly, or be a loose fit with the pelvis, or both. This condition causes unusually heavy friction on the joint as the dog moves, which in turn can lead to osteoarthritis, a painful inflammation of the joint."

These are some terrible, terrible hips. These pics literally turn my stomach.

Now these are good/normal hips at 6 months

These were Nikon's hips at 7 months (the lines in the ball joints are growth plates not yet closed)

Here is an example of an x-ray that is horribly positioned, BUT the dog is so dysplastic it is obvious even with the positioning. Notice how there is no coverage AND the shape of the femoral head is terrible.

So yes, the more coverage the better. The smoother/rounder the femoral head, the better.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #623
Blue Crack Addict

well, today is the day... I am off to take Gracie to the Vet this morning for her exam and spaying. I will miss her and be a worried furmama all day today. I pick her up tomorrow..
Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #624
Blue Crack Addict

How's Gracie?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #625
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
How's Gracie?
she's doing ok

i just brought her home this afternoon.. she has the comfy cone(bought it at petco) on her head..

awww poor thing...

she has a slight ear infection, so i have ear drops.. Pain meds and eye drops from a irriatation in her left eye from the anathesia.. Ugh.. Otherwise she seems in good spirits.. what a trooper!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #626
Blue Crack Addict

Awww hope Gracie is doing OK.

This is Phoebe, our newest addition.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #627
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Update on my puppy:

My little, sweet 6-pound puppy has turned into a 25-pound monster! Puppies don't usually grow that fast in two months, do they?
Anyway, Patches, the heeler, is still having an issue with biting, though he's getting better about it. If we say "ow!" and flinch (natural reaction anyway), he backs away and doesn't come back to play until he's invited, unless he wants to see if we're okay, and then he comes back to sniff or lick and apologise.
He's definitely got his herding instinct down. My brother got away from me in the backyard and I told Patches to go get his boy. Patches dragged my brother back to me by the seat of his pants. Got much praise and a treat for that.
Eats toilet paper like it's some doggie delicacy. Of all the things he could chewon in the house, toilet paper isn't the worst, but it's kinda weird.
I was doing so great at being an alpha dog, or at least, higher up in the pack, but now he won't listen to me without being bribed, especially for going in his crate. I have to throw at least a piece of dog food in the crate for him to go in, and even then sometimes he'll sit just out of reach and bark at me. So I try to creep up on him, he barks and runs and he's so dran fast that I can't catch him. And he knows just where to hide where I can't reach, or where he has more than one way out. He's outsmarted me. He'll still do his tricks and he is mostly a mellow and well-behaved dog (that eats toilet papare and loves having make-up put on him), but I don't know how to assert my dominance again, other than going back to spitting in his food or something. Gross.
Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #628
Blue Crack Addict

Reggo, we need pics of your dog!!!

As for the training issue, it is simply that, a training issue. I'm not sure how the dog was being trained or what methods you use, but all those theories about "dominance" and being an "alpha" are very outdated, no longer hold any weight when dealing with training domestic dogs. Which actually makes your problem a lot easier, you do not have a dominance problem, you have a young dog that just doesn't know what you want, yet.

Basically it boils down to this: dogs do what works for them. They do not want to cause conflict, to constantly try to dominate everything. They just want food, toys, and love. If you show them the fastest way to get those things and are consistent, they will do it for you.

How have you been training the dog to come to you and go in the crate? I can give you some great suggestions but it's easier with a little more background.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #629
War Child

Hey Lies, I was wondering how Bailey is doing? Did she move south?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #630
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah she did, haven't seen her in over a month. The club they were going to join is having a show next month, but I'm not going. Had to draw the line somewhere, my bank account is not a bottomless pit!