For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #601
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Ok, question for ya;

My dog tends to bite the side of her hip when she comes in the house. She does not cause any damage to her skin, but she "clamps" down to her skin....while making noises.
I took her to the vet and they gave her a shot to see if that would help (I forgot what it was they gave her), it did not. The vet also said to change her diet, I did...it did not help.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #602
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 PM
I'm guessing they gave her a cortisone injection. Did it help at all? Kenya had a few for chewing on her feet, and it helped for a few weeks but that was all.

Does it appear to be behavioral, or is she actually itching something? Itching could be a lot of things: mange, a bug bite, allergies, diet issues.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #603
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that was it was. No it did not help. It appears as if it's really bugging her, but she does not chew to a point that she hurts herself.
So far, 2 shots; $152.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #604
Blue Crack Addict

Dang. I can't believe how prices get inflated depending on where you live. Our cortisone shots are $25. One month of Kenya's new meds (twice a day) is $15.

Has she had her hips x-rayed?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #605
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Dang. I can't believe how prices get inflated depending on where you live. Our cortisone shots are $25. One month of Kenya's new meds (twice a day) is $15.

Has she had her hips x-rayed?
ooooh, you might be into something.
She does have a little trouble getting up after she's been laying down.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #606
Blue Crack Addict

If the cortisone and diet change did absolutely nothing, I don't think it would hurt to check the hips. I've never heard of a dog chewing on sore hips, but you never know. My dog chews on her feet for absolutely no reason at all.

Maybe bring it up with the vet? I'm no expert on hip dysplasia and joint problems even though it's common in my breed. I do know that not all vets are created equal, and it takes somewhat of an expert to even position the dog correctly for an x-ray that can be accurately evaluated.

My only other thought is maybe it's not a joint problem but somehow something neurological, and it "tingles" or something when the dog moves a certain way or gets up?

I guess if it were my dog, I'd rule out a joint problem (and I do that anyway even with no symptoms, Nikon's already been pre-lim'd free of hip dysplasia and arthritis). Maybe do some massages and stretches for those joints and see if it helps. Swimming is good exercise without pounding on the joint.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #607
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Ok, question for ya;

My dog tends to bite the side of her hip when she comes in the house. She does not cause any damage to her skin, but she "clamps" down to her skin....while making noises.
I took her to the vet and they gave her a shot to see if that would help (I forgot what it was they gave her), it did not. The vet also said to change her diet, I did...it did not help.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
you're sure it's definitely not a simple skin thing?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #608
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
lies,
I need your help here.. I had read on the lab retriever message boards that its better to wait to spay your dog until after she goes thru her first heat cycle (basically at a year of age) due to joint and bone growth still developing. What's your take on this? I am torn here Gracie is gonna be 9 months here this month and could go into heat any day. The vets I spoke to haven't heard of this, I have only seen it brought up by many people on the message boards so far. I know vets side on getting it done by 6 months due to overpopulation etc but who should I rely on here, vets who I think are more experts or lab owners? I need to make a decision this week on whether to schedule the surgery now.

thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #609
Blue Crack Addict

The best is to wait until the dog is physically mature (for GSDs that is 18mos - 2 years). However, I don't really think there's a right and a wrong. There are several risks associated with either decision, and it really boils down to your family's lifestyle. Personally, with a pet I would not be against spaying at 9 months. Plenty of them are done at 8 weeks before they leave the shelter. Spaying for nonbreeding females is far more important than neutering nonbreeding males; females have greater risks when kept intact. What would be effected by spaying now is basically the dog's conformation and I doubt that means much to you. Sometimes you end up with a bigger/taller, leaner, leggier dog (however I've studied this more in males so maybe not as much with females....neutering male GSDs really early generally leaves you with a "bitchy" looking male that is too tall). If the dog is otherwise healthy I personally would have no problems spaying a 9 month old pet. Because of her breed, you *may* want to consider having her hips and elbows x-rayed for prelims if she's going to be put under anyway. For labs, GSDs, and other breeds prone to dysplasia and joint problems I think it's a really good idea (had Nikon done already). The only trick with that is finding a vet that's good with these x-rays. They need to be positioned correctly or it's nearly impossible to get an accurate reading. Bad positioning can make hips that would pass OFA look dysplastic. If you get good films you can submit them to OFA for a prelim reading. I think they have a "panel" so more than one vet looks at them. I didn't submit Nikon's because the person who did his is the world's expert in veterinary radiology and had already been on the OFA panel. I've read that I the prelim x-rays are like 75-85% accurate in determining arthritis/hip dysplasia, so if you have an active dog of a breed prone, it's not a bad idea to do them so you know if the dog's joints are developing OK.

If you do the spay I'd do it soon. Once the dog is in heat it's much more risky and expensive to do the spay, and then they would probably want you to wait a few months after the cycle.

If you want to wait (or never do it), don't let anyone make you feel like you're irresponsible. I get that all the time with Nikon, "pet over population" bla bla bla when the truth is that the pet overpopulation in shelters is NOT caused by responsible pet owners and reputable breeders. Plenty of people have multiple intact animals and never have fights, unwanted breedings, etc.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

thanks lies,
I am really kicking myself for not taking care of this before now cuz the vet I want to take her too doesn't have a surgical appt available for 2 weeks so if she goes into heat between now and then I will have to wait something like 8 weeks after she goes into heat. I don't know what to do... I did make a appt for a exam on 6/20, a saturday so hopefully she won't go into heat.. ugh...

we are going to ireland mid july so I was hoping I could take care of this before then and that my sister in law and brother in law wouldn't have to deal with her being in heat.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #611
Blue Crack Addict

update, I spoke to gracie's breeder and she told me that the dam and all the girl puppies that she has bred have gone into heat late, around a year or so. So I am gonna take her in next week to the vet that I wanted her to see in the first place and not this other one I had her booked for on friday. I feel so much better.... So relieved, I was gawd, it could be any day and if I wait a week what if she goes into heat then I would have to wait several weeks to do it.. was so stressed..
Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #612
Blue Crack Addict

Phew! Nikon's sisters have been through heat and they're 9 months.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #613
War Child

I thought I'd give y'all an update on Wally. He graduated from his Rookie Rover class with flying colors!!! He is an awesome Sheltie. There was a female with dog issues and we were asked to help with her because Wally is so calm. He was able to eat treats sitting next to her, sniff nose to nose, and walk next to her. I am so proud of him being able to help another doggie!!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #614
Blue Crack Supplier

hey dogsters

2 questions (no rush- just curious)

just what IS hip dyspalasia? I'd been thinking of this question for the last several weeks to ask you all... just timing it's in the current page of discussion.
I know it's due to pure-bred breeding issues, and causes mild to severe walking/running problems.

I'm guessing that is the hip bones are no longer formed in a way that is optimal for the dog & whether the upper leg bone not longer fits into the hip socket as well as it could, OR it causes the legs- how the legs come down, whether the feet end up being placed, which effect the gait which has issuers down the line/ or current. .
If it's a more active type of dog from breed type, and added personality variance- problems a can show up sooner? Maybe in some dogs it shows up earlier that others, since no 2 dogs are exactly alike.

2) Are whippets bigger, or smaller than greyhounds?

I saw a beautiful whippet last weekend.
What was surprising to me was the coloring> the owner said it was a brindle.
So it was mostly beige with flecks of darker beige & gray. very interesting.

good luck with your dog - carlos!

Congrats to Wally for his graduation and helping another dog!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #615
Blue Crack Addict

Whippets are smaller than Greyhounds, and Italian Greyhounds (Iggy) are even smaller yet. Brindle pattern happens in many breeds but is always very striking.

Will explain HD later. Despite what people commonly think (at least about German Shepherds) you cannot diagnose HD by watching a dog move (though you can guess and be right!). A dog's rear angulation and angle of croup is separate from how their hips fit in their sockets. Many American line German shepherds have insane angulation in the rear, so their butts are low, they gait down on their hocks, but these dogs are no more likely to be displastic than a German Shepherd with little angulation that stands square.