For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #451
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Alright, I convinced my parents to let me take her to the vet.

The vet said that it's something with her spine or a possible back injury. She squealed and instinctively growled... and for the first time, she bit my hand. Ugh, the whole "waiting for the results" thing is so aggravating.

He's taking her blood sample and taking an x-ray. He also had to sedate her 'cause she's in so much pain.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #452
Blue Crack Supplier

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

good luck for her, she's a little beauty.

Bach's Homeopathy Rescue Remedy is said to be very good for pets/animals.
It's for us humans, but has been used on animals in distress as well. It's a general emotional/spiritual healer/relaxer that can also work on physical symptoms for people & animals. My sis & I have used it on & off for years.

Depending on where you live.... it can be gotten in some drug-store chains OR you'll have to go to a Health Food Shop (if not there they may be able to tell you where you can find it ).

*****Good Luck*****

Old 03-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #453
Blue Crack Supplier

haven't visited the dogsters thread in a while......

LL ~ wonderful dogs!

A greyhound type? and Cosmo ? a mix - thinking German Shepard & a sptitz type?
and great play photo!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #454
New Yorker

I found out that she ruptured 2 or 3 discs in her back.

I don't know how severe that is but it sounds fucking painful.

They're giving her medication to ease the pain, but if that doesn't work, she has to go into surgery. I looked it up online, and I learned that some people who experienced the same thing but couldn't afford to get the surgery, had to put their dogs to sleep.

I hope that this doesn't happen to me...
Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #455
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:15 AM
good luck
Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #456
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
I found out that she ruptured 2 or 3 discs in her back.

I don't know how severe that is but it sounds fucking painful.

They're giving her medication to ease the pain, but if that doesn't work, she has to go into surgery. I looked it up online, and I learned that some people who experienced the same thing but couldn't afford to get the surgery, had to put their dogs to sleep.

I hope that this doesn't happen to me...

extra S
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

I'm really sorry that what I was worried about was confirmed. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem with smaller dogs.

You did say that she is still able to walk, correct? The vet didn't notice any neurological deficits, such as feet scuffing I am assuming? The silver lining in this is that if she is still able to walk and hasn't lost use of her rear legs the potential for her to recover from this without surgical intervention is very good. What medications were prescribed? I'm assuming pain meds but did they give any form of cortosteroids and muscle relaxants? Keep your baby on strict exercise restriction until the next recheck. No jumping or climbing up stairs or walks. If she loses any use of her rear legs or goes longer than 8 hours (during daytime) without urinating, go to a vet immediatley.

Don't worry about surgery until the next recheck, medical therapy and rest really can do wonders sometimes! If things don't improve I would imagine a myelogram should be considered even before surgery. Worry about crossing that bridge when you get to it hon.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #458
New Yorker

Thank you all for the help and support.

My baby's back home.

She seems a lot better. The doctor prescribed her Prednisolone 5mg tablet for each day. Then I'm supposed to wean her off of it and see how she is.
On the bill it said that she got her vaccinations re-updated, an x-ray, Ketamine, Diazepam, and Prednisolone. I'm surprised she can walk a straight line. Haha.

I'm really glad that her condition improved though. I gotta check back in with the doc next week, but for now, she seems fine. The only frustrating thing is that I have to make sure she doesn't climb the stairs or jump around too much. I guess this means my baby and I will be couch potatoes together this spring break.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

Holy crap! Ketamine and Diazepam together?? Did they anesthetize her or just use that for sedation.

I'm glad that she's home. Just remember, she may think she's feeling better after taking the Pred, but still keep her rested--this can take a few weeks to recuperate from! If she still seems painful (panting, shivering, etc) you may want to ask about getting something such as Tramadol.

Take care!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #460
New Yorker

Yup yup, I'm trying to keep her on bed-rest, but she keeps meandering 'cause she's happy to be back home. Haha. So I'm trying to limit her movement from bedroom to bedroom, floor to floor, and whatnot, even though I know my dad will let her climb up and down the stairs when I told him specifically that we need to limit her physical activity . She keeps panting every once in a while, not sitting still and all... I'm not sure if that means she's in pain again. Last night she wouldn't sit still for an hour so I gave her one of the Prednisolone pills before I went to bed. She seemed better after that?

This morning my mom told me that in the middle of the night she peed in the living room.. I don't know if that's incontinence or if she was holding it in for a while, but the fact that she urined is a good sign, right?

My parents and I discussed the possibility of her getting surgery if this condition escalates. They said we can't afford the surgery so if she gets worse and we can't care of her, we'll have to put her to sleep.

I'm really hoping that she gets better though.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Gracie's first day at the leash free dog park by our house. Had to get a dog license from the county to get in.. And it costs 5 bucks a day or a 40 dollar a year permit for this..

here are a few (hard to get them cuz she was running around like a maniac) She had so much fun. She was covered in sweat by the time we left..

and this was my favorite pic!!

my hubby and gracie (it was sprinkling today..boo)

was worn out here

water.. ahhhhhhhhh

the one thing that pissed me off is that they have a rule that you have to be 12 yrs old to be inside. Liam is 11yrs old to be 12 in nov. I don't get this rule.. I was approached today about him and was honest (slaps self.. i felt like shit for that cuz Liam was upset) and told her he was almost 12. So he had to stand outside of the fenced area.. Next time we go back I am gonna say he just turned 12.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

another pic...

btw..she is still passed out from her day.. 3 hrs later..
Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #463
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
She keeps panting every once in a while, not sitting still and all... I'm not sure if that means she's in pain again. Last night she wouldn't sit still for an hour so I gave her one of the Prednisolone pills before I went to bed. She seemed better after that?

This morning my mom told me that in the middle of the night she peed in the living room.. I don't know if that's incontinence or if she was holding it in for a while, but the fact that she urined is a good sign, right?

Don't give the Pred more often than prescribed. It can really muck with her adrenal glands if given higher than what is considered a therapeutic dose. If she seems painful, ask the vet for Tramadol or something similar, that's an inexpensive Rx..

Increased water consumption and increased urination are two of themost common side effects of Pred usage. Pred increases the activity of the filtration units of the kidneys. This causes the animal to excrete higher levels of urine than normal. Another good reason to stay in the dosage level.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #464
I Serve Larry's Stick

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post

haven't visited the dogsters thread in a while......

LL ~ wonderful dogs!

A greyhound type? and Cosmo ? a mix - thinking German Shepard & a sptitz type?
and great play photo!
Aww, thanks

Yep, Grace is a Greyhound and Cosmo is a hmm...we're really not sure. He's got the Rottie colors, but he's only 50 pounds. Maybe some sort of Rott/Shep runt mix He certainly has the smarts and activity level of a Border Collie...I know they aren't completely accurate but I'd love to do a dog DNA test on him someday!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:15 AM
This is the latest addition to my family:

Patch.