For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another great Australian cattle dog story!

A central Queensland dog which jumped up and down on its owner's chest after the man suffered a massive heart attack may have saved his life.

Teka the three-year-old Australian cattle dog has been given the RSPCA's animal achievement award following the 2007 feat at a glass factory near Bundaberg.

Owner Jim Touzeau's heart stopped and he collapsed unconscious on the factory floor when Teka climbed onto his chest and began to jump repeatedly with all four paws.

The dog also barked in his face, rousing him enough to raise the alarm with his son.

She also ran outside and barked to attract attention.

Medical experts have been unable to say whether the canine CPR had any medical impact but say Mr Touzeau would not be alive today if not for Teka's efforts.

"I don't know if she actually kick-started my heart. But the doctors said that if I hadn't come to and called for help the chances are I would be dead," Mr Touzeau said.

"My heart had definitely stopped."

The 79-year-old glass craftsman also suffered deep cuts when he fell and sliced himself open on plate glass at the his Tinana factory.

He has since been fitted with a defibrillator implant.

"I lost my wife six years ago this Christmas and it's a pretty lonely life on your own,'' he told brisbanetimes.com.au.

"I got Teka three years ago and she's a terrific companion. She just never leaves my side. Because it's just the two of us, I rely on her and she relies on me."

Mr Touzeau said he remembered nothing of the heart attack, but recalled waking up to Teka on his chest.

"She was really thumping my chest with her two front feet,'' he said.

"It was out of the blue [behaviour] for her.

"She must have been thinking 'I better wake this fella up or I won't get any dinner'.''

The RSPCA will present the state-based commendation to Teka today and will also nominate her for a Purple Cross - the charity's highest bravery medal.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said Teka had shown incredible intuition.

"This award isn't given away lightly. If she hadn't been there he probably would not have woken up."

Notice that the owner is aware of her true motivation for her actions. :lol:

link

I'm gonna do something drastic to my neighbour's dog who won't shut the fuck up. He, her owner, has the hide to abuse another neighbour of ours for their noisy labs, but his kelpie is a right shit. God. I'm going to throw a bucket of water on her in a minute.
:angry:
The labs are nothing compared to Jessie. They only bark when someone is around hte reserve out the back. Jessie just barks because he's never home and she's bored.
:grumpy:

California Confronts Chihuahua Crisis

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 10) -- California has more Chihuahuas than it can handle, and it has Hollywood to blame.

There are so many Chihuahuas at shelters in Oakland, they have started shipping the dogs out of state, said Megan Webb, director of Oakland Animal Services. They have sent about 100 to Washington, Oregon and Arizona, she said, "and as soon as they get them, they are ready for new ones."

Chihuahuas make up 30 percent or more of the dog populations at many California shelters. And experts say pop culture is to blame, with fans imitating Chihuahua-toting celebrities like Paris Hilton and Miley Cyrus, then abandoning the dogs.

The problem appears to be specific to California; shelters elsewhere would love to share the wealth, said Gail Buchwald, senior vice president overseeing the ASPCA adoption center in New York City.

"We never have enough supply for the huge consumer demand for small dogs," she said.

One of Webb's biggest problems is a lack of money to fly the dogs to other states. Buchwald said she would be happy to help.

"Nothing is outside the realm of possibility here. We have a supply-demand issue," she said.

Chihuahuas are the most popular breed of dog in Los Angeles, so it makes sense it is the most abandoned breed, said Madeline Bernstein, president of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles. In Oakland, some days, they get 10 of the 5-pound dogs a day, Webb said.

The problem is so bad that shelters all over California that were built for big dogs had to remodel to accommodate the little guys.

Among the reasons for the glut is the breed's popularity in movies like "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and as celebrity pets, said Dave Frangipane, senior coordinator for Chihuahua Rescue of Beverly Hills. A cute puppy can grow up to have adult health problems or become protective and aggressive.

There are less glamorous reasons, too, like the high vet bills Chihuahuas can bring. And the biggest spikes in California Chihuahua populations are probably due to puppy mills and backyard breeders, Buchwald and Frangipane said.

Chihuahuas are cute, but vulnerable, Frangipane said. "People think nothing of kicking a small, yappy dog. And they can be abused by people of all sizes. A toddler can snap a Chihuahua's leg in a second," he said.

Chihuahuas-1.gif

I have been the proud owner of Chihuahua's since I was 8 years old The first Chihuahua we ever owned my dad got for my mom's birthday her name was Chile she had offsprings
that we either kept or gave to friends and family. Today we own 7 of these little dogs beween my parents and brothers.
They are very easy to care for and not any more expensive than any other dog in regards to vet bills.
Chihuahua's are very smart and extremely loyal to their owners and if they are not raised around toddlers it could be a problem, other than that they adapt easily to children, but you have to teach children how to treat small dogs.
My dogs are cat friendly, because we tend to raise them together. They even know what cats do not live at our house and those are the ones they chase away.
They are great watch dogs though really no theif would take them seriously because of their size the yapping is alone will alert you that someone you don't know is approching your home, and they are GREAT companions
Another plus is that they do not eat a lot, so you are saving on pet food money.

chihuahuas.jpg

It is sad that these little dogs are being abandoned because really make great pets.

a shout out to my adorable Chiwiwi's :heart:

Snoopy
Baby
Chiquita
Nayi
Paloma
Mickey
Coyote

chihuahuas.jpg

^NOT my dogs just a cute pic I found

I hope that Chi movie did not help contribute to this. It seems every time there's a dog movie, we see an over abundance of that breed ending up in shelters and rescues. I wanted a Golden Retriever after Homeward Bound and a JRT after Wishbone.

I hope that Chi movie did not help contribute to this. It seems every time there's a dog movie, we see an over abundance of that breed ending up in shelters and rescues. I wanted a Golden Retriever after Homeward Bound and a JRT after Wishbone.

Well it is REAALY sad what is happening to the Chihuahua. My family are debating to rescue some of those dogs but we already have 7 I mean WE CAN DO IT/AFFORD IT. but it is still more dogs. We'll see

I LOVE WISHBONE!!:love:

Really is a shame regarding the Chihuahua situation over there. I'm not usually a fan of those guys myself, I think they look like mosquitoes, but there was an absolutely gorgeous one at my local dog park today - they are a very appealing accessory, unfortunately.

Aw, I like Tzus! (and I'm a big dog person, lol)

Gracie is fabulous. Look at that big block head!! I love big heads, even on females I don't like refined heads.

Recent pic of Nikon. He's as big as he will get but needs to fill out more (he looks very narrow from the top and front and needs more "cheek" to his head)
4316601746_f8bdf70df1.jpg

Snow dogs!
4229242510_dd8b968bd2.jpg

4229244812_225bef089e.jpg

4228474223_2fba8d2785.jpg

4229257158_c44fb642e4.jpg

4229252974_8c5bcf1582.jpg

4229262674_9e7b1494f1.jpg

4229261422_ca8c9b39b8.jpg

Nikon guarding me
YouTube - NikonC1-29-2010.wmv

Kaf, we need more pics of your pibble!!!

kaffy,

Question for ya is your dog a male and your cat female?

starting to think that Gracie and Nochi are not going to bestest buds cuz they are both female and (more territorial?).

kaffy,

Question for ya is your dog a male and your cat female?

starting to think that Gracie and Nochi are not going to bestest buds cuz they are both female and (more territorial?).

Both of my furrbabies are boys and fixed. I've never had any territorial issues with either of them. Cesar did have a small habit of trying to hump the cat ( :lol: ) before he was fixed, but that quickly subsided when the deed was done.

Dog people, can I beg a favor? I've been working on a web site for my friend/breeder. I know so much about these dogs and the breed that I don't want to overlook anything. So from the perspective of someone who might be interested in buying a German Shepherd, can you browse around and see if anything is missing or needs tweaking?

Alta-Tollhaus German Shepherd Dogs

She needs to write her "About" page, I need to import the articles from her current site, and need to finish adding pictures under each FAQ item.

One of the things I look for is what the breeder feeds their dogs and how often they vaccinate their dogs and what they vaccinate for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom