For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzUuanBn-1.jpg

Haha I took Nikon to the pet store first thing too! Bought like ten of everything already but had to show him off!

:cute:

My parents are off in Europe and I'm house sitting for them until this Friday, and that includes dog sitting Samson. I haven't lived at home in a few years so I love spending time with him.

I'm feeding him exactly per their instructions in terms of the type and amount of food. And he behaves like he is starving. As soon as he hears me preparing the food, he's stalking me, and then he dives in like he's just spent 6 months in the Ethiopian famine. He is NOT like that when my parents are here. In fact, he leaves a bunch of the kibble usually, but now, he gobbles it all up. I am beginning to suspect that my Dad feeds him all through the day, with snacks here and there, because he seems so hungry all the time. And I don't give him that many treats either, but I think my Dad probably goes through them really fast.

So strange.

You can give him some green beans. I know a lot of people use them as a filler or for dogs that need to lose weight. Not many calories, nothing much to upset the stomach, but makes the dog feel full. I'm about ready to do the same with Nikon. He eats like 6 cups of kibble a day (my other two get 2 each total) and still could chow on and on, and you can see he is not fat or even close to filling out since he's only 11 months 67lbs. However he's also more active than the other two combined, and I only feed him 1-2 cups at a time b/c I'm terrified of bloat since he is so active and his chest is dropping.

random pic from today, you can see he has a pretty nice tuck and lately you can see his ribs since he's out of coat
3744044959_c2ccc83441.jpg

I'll try that but I'm not sure he'll eat them. Maybe if I pour some olive oil over them he might change his mind.

Picky eater? I think most people used the canned kind which to me always have more flavor, maybe they are a bit salted. You could probably just add some instant white rice as a filler too. When we're doing elminiation diets I use white rice and boiled ground beef. Bland as all hell but the dogs can't get enough of it.

Lies, watched a programme on our station last night about police dogs and there was this lovely German Shepherd, but it wasnt standard black and tan, more like greyish and something - would you know what I mean? possibly a VERY rare colour in them!

It was probably a sable, it is actually the dominant color. My Kenya is a faded, patterned (meaning she has a "saddle" and "mask") red sable. There really is no true color distinction among sables (a sable is a sable regardless of how dark or whether it is more gray, black, or red), but they are often refered to by color. GSDs are either solid (black or white), bi-color (all black except the feet), sable, or the black and red/tan. There is no "rare" color/pattern and people who breed for certain colors or charge more for certain colors are considered unethical. In general you want the dog to have strong pigment, which means a very dark face, but it doesn't matter which pattern the dog has. There are a few dogs that have "liver" (bluish-gray) or "red" instead of black and this is a fault because the "leather" (the nose and the feet pads) must be black so these colors are disqualified and not bred. Some people consider them the "rare" colors but that is only because they are a fault so all the good breeders are not breedin them, making them appear more rare.

I'm assuming the one you saw was more like one of these?

Red sable
ria1.jpg

lighter red sable (like mine in the avatar and sig)
meggie1.jpg

black sable
DCP_9442.JPG

gray sable
wulf49.jpg

kaiser23.jpg

The reason the police dogs are typically these colors are mainly because police use European working line dogs, and working line trainers and breeders care more about the dog's ability's than his color, so since sable is genetically dominant that's what they usually get. Also, a very dark sable dog with a good mask is very imposing, visually, and the vast majority of times the police K9 is called, he is only providing visual deterence which means he is barking and simply *looking* aggressive. It is rare that the dog has to actually engage in a chase and take-down. The black and red/tan that is common in show lines is viewed by the public more as the classic "pet" type dog. For example, which would you be more scared of in a back alley, Dodger or Ozzy Barnero?
3726856365_6b1b524d46.jpg
ozzy1.jpg

This is the same reason the police don't use whites. For one, the working and narc people don't breed whites and for two they are just not as scary looking.

Picky eater? I think most people used the canned kind which to me always have more flavor, maybe they are a bit salted. You could probably just add some instant white rice as a filler too. When we're doing elminiation diets I use white rice and boiled ground beef. Bland as all hell but the dogs can't get enough of it.

No, he eats everything! Except green stuff like that. He'll eat any kind of fruit you give him, any meat, cheese, etc. But he draws the line at veggies aside from carrots which he looooves.

Maybe boiled or plain carrots would work? I think I've heard of people using that too. My friend's dog gets carrots as his best treat, my dogs won't touch them. :shrug:

Samson would probably eat a pound of boiled carrots. He likes the fresh ones too, but only if you grate them over his kibble, for reasons that I'm sure only he can explain.

Patches is a very good dog. He broke his crate today and could easily escape, but he stays in there! :cute: I'm gonna give him huggles and treats when I get home for being a good boy.

Coke looks so huggable! I have a soft spot for long haired dogs.

I think Nikon is beautiful. I love how dark his face is, I think it adds a lot to the look.

Coke is an angel. Yesterday I took him to work with me in the morning so he could meet Phil's "kids" at lunch. I went out at 10am to make sure the car was still shaded and he was so fast asleep he didn't even notice me head poking in. He had so much fun with the kids and they are not very gentle!

Nikon's full mask is one of my favorite things about him. His head is a little week yet (needs more "cheek" to look really masculine) and his shoulder angle is not so great but his color and pigment are outstanding. At his last show the breeder said he had the best color of every dog entered. I was really hoping for that since Kenya is so light colored.

Pugs in general can stand and 'walk' (if supported) on their hind legs much longer than most other breeds, in my experience. No idea why that is, something about their anatomy I guess...they are pretty top-heavy, which you'd think would make it difficult, but on the other hand their legs are very thick and sturdy for a breed that small.

Pugs in general can stand and 'walk' (if supported) on their hind legs much longer than most other breeds

lol, that is.....odd!

Nikon got 60 points towards his UKC Championship this weekend (he needs 40 more points and to beat other dogs two more times).

3782331943_d2e60face0.jpg

3782725940_86cac47178.jpg

We are doing his first major obedience trial Sept. 26 and this is what it is supposed to look like!
YouTube - Claudia Romard and Clip van Gogh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom