For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Samson, sniffing around the backyard...

5085_775350869061_58015847_46582132_2734821_n.jpg

Samson!! :heart: I love collies. I have been looking for a good collie breeder for over a year now and I only found one. They are so hard to find anymore.

Yeah she did, haven't seen her in over a month. The club they were going to join is having a show next month, but I'm not going. Had to draw the line somewhere, my bank account is not a bottomless pit!

Are you going to the big event this October in Springfield, Ohio??

Is that the nationals? Doubt it, I'm not doing much AKC stuff any more and I don't care for American line conformation at all.

There are WDA shows in Ill. Oct 4 and Oct. 17 so I'll probably do one or both of those. There's also one Sept. 12 but that's the U2 weekend, probably too much to do a Cubs game, two concerts, and a dog show in one weekend!

I think they do sports so you will likely see a lot of other lines doing that. I know a few people from the GSD board are going for agility. Bretta is really good, she is working lines.

Reggo, we need pics of your dog!!! :)

As for the training issue, it is simply that, a training issue. I'm not sure how the dog was being trained or what methods you use, but all those theories about "dominance" and being an "alpha" are very outdated, no longer hold any weight when dealing with training domestic dogs. Which actually makes your problem a lot easier, you do not have a dominance problem, you have a young dog that just doesn't know what you want, yet.

Basically it boils down to this: dogs do what works for them. They do not want to cause conflict, to constantly try to dominate everything. They just want food, toys, and love. If you show them the fastest way to get those things and are consistent, they will do it for you.

How have you been training the dog to come to you and go in the crate? I can give you some great suggestions but it's easier with a little more background.
I'll post some piccies of him tomorrow, got a few cute ones this afternoon.

It's just frustrating he knows the command, "Patches, come," he just chooses to ignore me, it seems. Or worse, he gets within a few feet and his attention is diverted to a toy, and then I call him again and he ignores me and hides behind the couch or rockets off to some other part of the house.

Going in his crate is the worst. He's fast and hard to catch cause he has too many hiding places with more than one way out. Anyway, here's a walkthrough of me trying to put Patches in his crate:

"Patches! Come!"
Patches stands at the end of the hall, looking at me.
"Patches, come here, baby."
Patches glances away, then looks at me, smiling, not moving.
"Patches!"
Patches pads down the hall, getting as close as he dares. he sniffs the floor or the wall, keeping an eye on me.
I, stupidly, reach out for his collar.
He ducks, barks, and runs behind the couch where he knows I can't get him.
I stand up, shake his box of treats.
Patches comes running for a treat.
"you want a treat? Go night-night(in his crate)."
Patches stands where he is, thinking about it.
I offer the treat again. "Go night-night."
Patches jumps on me, trying to get it without going in his crate.
I give him love, but make him get down, then throw the treat in his crate.
He follows it in.
I close the door behind him.

And that if he's being cooperative. Sometimes, at midnight when everyone else is asleep, he'll decide to bark at me and not be quiet when I tell him to. Going outside has become a struggle. We know he needs to go out, but he will outright refuse. That usually ends up in grabbing his collar and forcing him outside. But then he potties and runs and plays and is a happy dog. I think he's just stubborn.

If he doesn't come when you say come, he doesn't really understand it and/or he doesn't have a good reason to come. If the dog can't perform the command with at least 85% consistency in high distraction, he doesn't actually know it. Due to his breed, you will get a bit more hardness than some others, but that would come through more in how the dog works (like if he were on cattle) than the basic training.

The recall and the crate training are really the hardest things for a dog because they aren't natural dog behaviors. Dogs don't recall each other or lock each other in a cage, but both are completely necessary for being safe as a domestic animal. Now some dogs take to the crate instantly, and some dogs never stray far enough from the owner to even need a recall (my Kenya is both), but because it's easy for some dogs doesn't mean the rest of us will have any better luck! I have one dog that is over two years old and has more training than an average pet and at this point I will never trust him off lead because to him *anything* is more fun than coming back to me. It doesn't matter what treat or toy or game I have, the stranger jogging by or the rabbit in the bush is always way more exciting. I also have a dog that took longer to crate train because he was from a large litter and being shoved into this cold, small space with no siblings was like his idea of hell, lol. So, I do a lot of extensive training with my dogs but I also know exactly where you are coming from.

For the come/recall, it's really really super important that you always set the dog up for success. Don't use the command if you think the dog might not obey. At this point you may need to start over using a new word (yeah I've had to do this a few times!). Nikon's gone from "come!" to a rattle sound to "Here!" Anyway, start indoors and get whatever treat or toy or both is irresistible to the dog. For Nikon that is a ball and for Coke that is chicken breast. Build an association with the new word, so sit with the dog and say "come!" (or whatever the word is) and give the dog the food or toy, over and over and over, so the dog associates the command with fun/yummy. Make sure when you say it, it doesn't sound angry. Once the dog knows that you have good treats or toys and that "come" is pretty awesome, put the dog on a leash. Start doing very SHORT recalls with very little distraction. I would start inside with a 6' leash (or if your dog can sit and stay, you can just do that). Again, it's crucial that the dog always come when you say the word and that you are not pushing too hard too fast. Don't give the dog an opportunity to disobey. If you happen to be outside and need to get your dog while you are still in the process of training, just go over and get him rather than using the new word too soon and getting blown off. As you progress, add in distance and distraction, but only one or the other (ie, don't go from 6 feet indoors to 30 feet at the dog park). When you move outdoors, even in your own yard, keeping using a line so that when you say "come!" you immediately reel the dog in to you, give him the reward and praise him, and then (this is important) let him go again. Once you get longer recalls with more distraction, don't always make the dog go inside. That makes a negative association. Call him, reel him in, reward him, then say "ok!" and let him go play for a few more minutes.

There's also two "games" I like that help with recalls. First, restrained recalls. This uses a dog's drive and desire to be with you to build the recall. Have someone else hold your dog by the collar or leash and ignore the dog while you walk away, then start calling your dog and waving your toy or treat, so the dog is pulling and whining to get to you. Then the other person lets go and your dog charges over to you and you reward him and play with him. The second game is similar and is helpful if there's two owners that need to recall the dog. Basically you each have the rewards and take turns calling the dog back and forth. Like regular training, start indoors at short distances and build from there. Once one person has recalled and rewarded the dog, that person goes "dead" (ignores the dog) and the other person calls.

You can also just work on your dog wanting to be with you in general by doing ridiculous stuff with the dog. Sometimes I get on my hands and knees and play bow at my dogs like I'm a dog. They love it when my husband does jumping jacks at them or rolls on the ground like a dog. Another thing to try for a recall is making a noise to get the dog's attention and then running away from the dog. Dogs like to chase each other and can't stand when one dog is having more fun, so naturally if you are running they come over to see what you are doing.

You don't want to have to bribe your dog or catch your dog. The recall is one thing that should be trained as a positive thing using baby steps to build. Otherwise, it is unfair to label the dog as stubborn or disobedient if he's not been given the chance to learn what it means and have it be something that he wants to do. Dogs are very contextual which is why taking baby steps is important. To a dog, the outside is not the same as the inside. Even different rooms, or facing different directions in the same room are different things to the dog (for real).

Sorry this is long! Hopefully it helps.

Here's Samson, sniffing around the backyard...

5085_775350869061_58015847_46582132_2734821_n.jpg

That's a fabulous photo.

Reggo, I tell ya, a sheep.... Or 300 :lol:

I'm really getting convinced Archie has red stumpy cattle in him. I'm also getting closer to caving in and having one of those wanky suburban DNA tests done on him, just so I can get a clear idea of what I am up against. He's smart, but cunning. Loyal, but protective. Active and keen, but escapist. And he tries to round up birds. :slant: Don't even ask me how this works! I'm destined to never have a normal dog. :( Anyway, stumpy cattle is a breed I know painfully little about. Thank god for google, and my new vet who is used to breeds like him, due to where I live.

If he doesn't come when you say come, he doesn't really understand it and/or he doesn't have a good reason to come. If the dog can't perform the command with at least 85% consistency in high distraction, he doesn't actually know it. Due to his breed, you will get a bit more hardness than some others, but that would come through more in how the dog works (like if he were on cattle) than the basic training.

The recall and the crate training are really the hardest things for a dog because they aren't natural dog behaviors. Dogs don't recall each other or lock each other in a cage, but both are completely necessary for being safe as a domestic animal. Now some dogs take to the crate instantly, and some dogs never stray far enough from the owner to even need a recall (my Kenya is both), but because it's easy for some dogs doesn't mean the rest of us will have any better luck! I have one dog that is over two years old and has more training than an average pet and at this point I will never trust him off lead because to him *anything* is more fun than coming back to me. It doesn't matter what treat or toy or game I have, the stranger jogging by or the rabbit in the bush is always way more exciting. I also have a dog that took longer to crate train because he was from a large litter and being shoved into this cold, small space with no siblings was like his idea of hell, lol. So, I do a lot of extensive training with my dogs but I also know exactly where you are coming from.

For the come/recall, it's really really super important that you always set the dog up for success. Don't use the command if you think the dog might not obey. At this point you may need to start over using a new word (yeah I've had to do this a few times!). Nikon's gone from "come!" to a rattle sound to "Here!" Anyway, start indoors and get whatever treat or toy or both is irresistible to the dog. For Nikon that is a ball and for Coke that is chicken breast. Build an association with the new word, so sit with the dog and say "come!" (or whatever the word is) and give the dog the food or toy, over and over and over, so the dog associates the command with fun/yummy. Make sure when you say it, it doesn't sound angry. Once the dog knows that you have good treats or toys and that "come" is pretty awesome, put the dog on a leash. Start doing very SHORT recalls with very little distraction. I would start inside with a 6' leash (or if your dog can sit and stay, you can just do that). Again, it's crucial that the dog always come when you say the word and that you are not pushing too hard too fast. Don't give the dog an opportunity to disobey. If you happen to be outside and need to get your dog while you are still in the process of training, just go over and get him rather than using the new word too soon and getting blown off. As you progress, add in distance and distraction, but only one or the other (ie, don't go from 6 feet indoors to 30 feet at the dog park). When you move outdoors, even in your own yard, keeping using a line so that when you say "come!" you immediately reel the dog in to you, give him the reward and praise him, and then (this is important) let him go again. Once you get longer recalls with more distraction, don't always make the dog go inside. That makes a negative association. Call him, reel him in, reward him, then say "ok!" and let him go play for a few more minutes.

There's also two "games" I like that help with recalls. First, restrained recalls. This uses a dog's drive and desire to be with you to build the recall. Have someone else hold your dog by the collar or leash and ignore the dog while you walk away, then start calling your dog and waving your toy or treat, so the dog is pulling and whining to get to you. Then the other person lets go and your dog charges over to you and you reward him and play with him. The second game is similar and is helpful if there's two owners that need to recall the dog. Basically you each have the rewards and take turns calling the dog back and forth. Like regular training, start indoors at short distances and build from there. Once one person has recalled and rewarded the dog, that person goes "dead" (ignores the dog) and the other person calls.

You can also just work on your dog wanting to be with you in general by doing ridiculous stuff with the dog. Sometimes I get on my hands and knees and play bow at my dogs like I'm a dog. They love it when my husband does jumping jacks at them or rolls on the ground like a dog. Another thing to try for a recall is making a noise to get the dog's attention and then running away from the dog. Dogs like to chase each other and can't stand when one dog is having more fun, so naturally if you are running they come over to see what you are doing.

You don't want to have to bribe your dog or catch your dog. The recall is one thing that should be trained as a positive thing using baby steps to build. Otherwise, it is unfair to label the dog as stubborn or disobedient if he's not been given the chance to learn what it means and have it be something that he wants to do. Dogs are very contextual which is why taking baby steps is important. To a dog, the outside is not the same as the inside. Even different rooms, or facing different directions in the same room are different things to the dog (for real).

Sorry this is long! Hopefully it helps.

This will help! I think puppy classes will also help. Thank you!

He's got a bad habit of stealing food off the table, even in front of us. he's fed 2 cups of chow in the morning and 1 cup in the evening (probably too much as it is) and he snarfs food all the time! He knows "Get down!" That one he has selective listening for, I know it. Cause about 75% of the time he'll behave. The other 25%, he's inhaled the sandwich or whatever before the words have finished leaving my mouth. :rolleyes:

What do you think of the toilet paper thing?

The toilet paper thing is just what some dogs like. I had a cocker who liked it a lot. But he also ate many things which defied understanding. Our vet said toilet paper was nothing but expensive and annoying.

This will help! I think puppy classes will also help. Thank you!

He's got a bad habit of stealing food off the table, even in front of us. he's fed 2 cups of chow in the morning and 1 cup in the evening (probably too much as it is) and he snarfs food all the time! He knows "Get down!" That one he has selective listening for, I know it. Cause about 75% of the time he'll behave. The other 25%, he's inhaled the sandwich or whatever before the words have finished leaving my mouth. :rolleyes:

What do you think of the toilet paper thing?

It really depends on the dog. Personally, I don't do a lot of training with counter surfing and such, because a dog is a dog and most dogs will steal food when no one is looking, no matter how much training is done. So, we don't really have food out on the tables and counters when no one is there. If the dogs are rude when we eat, they get put outside or crated. I don't want to constantly be telling my dog "no, get down" every few minutes. If he can't respect my personal space then he loses his privilege of being in that area when food is present.

One thing that helps is training a default behavior. I reinforce a lot of "downs" with my dogs even though it's the first thing they learn as a puppy. So, when they are begging they come over and do a down in front of me, rather than getting in my face and taking food. They think if they do the down I will feed them. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I feed them just often enough so that they keep doing the down :)

Not sure about the TP thing. My dogs aren't allowed in my bathroom or that area of the house so I've never dealt with that.

It really depends on the dog. Personally, I don't do a lot of training with counter surfing and such, because a dog is a dog and most dogs will steal food when no one is looking, no matter how much training is done. So, we don't really have food out on the tables and counters when no one is there. If the dogs are rude when we eat, they get put outside or crated. I don't want to constantly be telling my dog "no, get down" every few minutes. If he can't respect my personal space then he loses his privilege of being in that area when food is present.

One thing that helps is training a default behavior. I reinforce a lot of "downs" with my dogs even though it's the first thing they learn as a puppy. So, when they are begging they come over and do a down in front of me, rather than getting in my face and taking food. They think if they do the down I will feed them. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I feed them just often enough so that they keep doing the down :)

Not sure about the TP thing. My dogs aren't allowed in my bathroom or that area of the house so I've never dealt with that.
Sounds like a lot of retraining is in order for Patches! He really is a good dog.

And here's a few pictures of him.

P1000038.jpg

P1000042.jpg

Caught in the act. :giggle:

P1000043.jpg

"Here's the dog food. Feed me."

Interesting to see that Patches' Jack Russel blood has started to shown a bit more as he's gotten a little older, he seemed more distinctively Heeler in the older shots. Still a cutie, though! Never had the toilet paper thing with my dog, who also loves herding, but otherwise the problems sound all too familiar. Do you play ball with him much? Get a few different sized ones and see which one he prefers - he'll treat the play as 'work' and might chill out a bit indoors. Guess that's a pretty simple answer, but good luck with him!

Aw he's cute! So he's a Jack Russell/heeler mix? That is one fiesty mix! I can see why he'd be giving you a run for your money! Both breeds are very smart, energetic, can be somewhat stubborn and hard. Very tenacious dogs because they are bred for dangerous work. A huge personality in a little package. Gotta stay one step ahead!

Interesting to see that Patches' Jack Russel blood has started to shown a bit more as he's gotten a little older, he seemed more distinctively Heeler in the older shots. Still a cutie, though! Never had the toilet paper thing with my dog, who also loves herding, but otherwise the problems sound all too familiar. Do you play ball with him much? Get a few different sized ones and see which one he prefers - he'll treat the play as 'work' and might chill out a bit indoors. Guess that's a pretty simple answer, but good luck with him!
Thanks!
Fetch is the best game ever! To him, at least. He'll throw his own toys to chase and catch, but yeah. LOVES to fetch, then loves to play tug of war in between throws.
Aw he's cute! So he's a Jack Russell/heeler mix? That is one fiesty mix! I can see why he'd be giving you a run for your money! Both breeds are very smart, energetic, can be somewhat stubborn and hard. Very tenacious dogs because they are bred for dangerous work. A huge personality in a little package. Gotta stay one step ahead!
Yup, we have a so-called "designer dog." Whatever. He's a cute little mutt I bought myself for my birthday. You're right about the huge personality.
Do you think playing fetch could help with the recall command? Cause he wants to bring the ball to me so I'll throw it again.

I agree that most any dog may steal food if no one's watching, but surely it's not a total lost cause to break dogs of the habit of begging at table? Every dog I've ever had begged as a puppy, but none of them begged at table after probably about 1 year of age. I 'taught' my last dog, a pug, not to beg at table by simply ignoring his very obnoxious and pushy attempts at it completely (granted, you probably couldn't afford that strategy with a bigger, stronger dog), and I remember my father taught all the collies we had when I was a kid a command--can't remember the word(s) anymore--that basically meant "Go sit quietly in the corner!", and he'd just use that if they tried to beg, in their heartstring-tuggingly 'sweet' manner, from guests (they knew better than to even bother with us).

Sure wish I'd had a nice concise set of instructions like Lies' on how to teach a dog "Come!" when Falstaff was little. :D Especially the "Make sure when you say it, it doesn't sound angry" part...I did that far too many times before eventually realizing I was only undermining myself. If anything, it's probably an especially dumb mistake to make with hardheaded, stubborn dogs, because they tend to find a contest of wills great fun.

Whenever my blood sugar is off, my shih-tzu mix Finn always senses something is wrong. Sometimes, he can tell before I can feel it. I must give off a scent when my blood sugar is too high or too low. I'm running high today, so he's been watching me like a hawk. :heart:

Here's a picture of him today with Lanny, our collie-shephard mix.

bGFuc2Zpbm4uanBn.jpg

And with his brother Felix

ZmlubmZlbGl4Mi5qcGc.jpg

Love them. :heart: And next Wendesday we are adding Phoebe, a shih-tzu pup to the brood! :hyper: I think I posted a pic of her a few pages back.

Samson!! :heart: I love collies. I have been looking for a good collie breeder for over a year now and I only found one. They are so hard to find anymore.

The one we got Samson from is wonderful, if you're willing to make a trip up to southwestern Ontario at some point. :)

Where's the new Tzu pup? Pics!!!

Here's a video of Nikon with a few fun outtakes at the end:
Nikon 10 Months on Vimeo

Nikon is a cutie! :cute:

We are actually getting her Tuesday night. The breeder is driving down from Maine to Massachusetts to visit family. She's bringing Phoebe, her brothers, the parents, and her other shih-tzu's that she keeps to breed and as pets. My mom and I have talked to her a few times on the phone. You can tell she's a good breeder, really cares about her dogs. She only breeds them once a year and seems interested in knowing the pups are going to a good home. Phoebe is only $500, which is cheap for a shih tzu. I would like our next dog to be a shelter dog.

Here is Phoebe at 3 weeks. She is 9 weeks now.

utf-8BRmFjZWJvb2tIb21lc2NyZWVuSW1hZ.jpg

utf-8BNDY5OF8xMTUwNTA2MTE3NTU4XzEwN.jpg

Sam and Lily. It looks rough but they play like this all the time.

71009001.jpg

Sam is a Golden Retriever but my husband had me shave him. It's the first and last time!

71009003.jpg

I've spent I don't know how much on toys and bones, etc. for Patches, but his absolute favourite toy is half a rubber volleyball the kids next door threw over the fence and he popped. Big enough for fetch and stretchy enough for tug.

He's been behaving himself in the house lately, though we still need a lot of work on the recall command. I thought he had it, but he still won't listen when he's excited or trying to get away with something. Petsmart has obedience classes. I think that's our next step.

I agree that most any dog may steal food if no one's watching

Samson will never take food from the table if we're there. But if it's on a coffee table so it's low to the ground and close to him, he'll stand there and stare at it intently, licking himself, hoping he'd get some. He'll still not grab for it though.

However, one time my brother was making steaks and there were two smaller ones that were finished before the others so he put them on a plate and on a kitchen table that was pretty low. Everyone was out on the deck for the BBQ and when he went back in there, sure enough they were both eaten with gusto. It was kind of funny seeing the grease trail through the kitchen, into the hallway, down the stairs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom