For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wally and I start beginning OB class tomorrow. I don't know if he is going to go far. I think if he gets his cgc it will be a miracle. The only thing he knows how to do without me giving him treats is sit. If I am giving him treats he can poke my hand (it's me or the dog lady does it alot), sit, and paw. It's embarrassing. I don't know if he is slow or just stubborn. He's 6 months old now. I would love to have a dog as smart and as well-behaved as Kenya. I think Charlie has the potential to be a good boy. I hope his neurotic behavior is because he wants a job and not just bad genes. I'm gonna try to get him in class next if the school I'm going to is any good.

He's young, don't sweat it yet. Many GSD people won't do any obedience until a dog is at least a year old. Keep giving him the treats and it will come. He sounds sort of like Nikon. Nikon wants to get it right and is a super fast learner but he gets so worked up over the rewards that he needs to just chill out. I have to move really slowly, stay low, and use a neutral, calm voice.

Have you tried the clicker at all?

Julie did all the foundation work with Kenya, and much of it is just her temperament. The only thing I can take credit for is working with what I got. When we do agility, I often have to work twice as hard as everyone else. They just whip out a toy or treat and their dog is ready to run. Kenya is really only motivated by a few little games we play with each other, plus she is a clingy dog so instead of standing in the middle and using my shoulders to direct the course, I have to run it myself.

This is Bella, my new furry "niece." She's 4 months old, and is a boxer - bullmastiff cross.

Bella1.jpg

:cute:

For your amusement, I was playing around with the video feature on my camera:
Nikon training clip on Vimeo

I don't usually do any agitation at home for several reasons, mainly b/c I'm a noob and can't "read dogs" yet. I made a lot of mistakes even in these three short minutes. Before I even had him in the harness he bit me and drew blood through a leather glove, hehe, but this is the type of "training" he likes. Sorry about my ass getting in the camera, oops.

Cute, VP. I always find dogs with the clipped tails hilarious, it's just such a cool look to see them wagging it.

OMG so cute. Don't show Phil, he loves Boxers! In fact we were going to get a Boxer but when we went to visit he had just been claimed, so we got Coke instead.

For your amusement, I was playing around with the video feature on my camera:
Nikon training clip on Vimeo

I don't usually do any agitation at home for several reasons, mainly b/c I'm a noob and can't "read dogs" yet. I made a lot of mistakes even in these three short minutes. Before I even had him in the harness he bit me and drew blood through a leather glove, hehe, but this is the type of "training" he likes. Sorry about my ass getting in the camera, oops.

Nikon is such a stud!:heart:

I have new "baby" pictures!

himom.jpg

"Hi, mom. I wasn't chewing on your shoe, I promise."

chewing.jpg

Chewing his rawhide bone

layinginasunbeam.jpg

Laying in his sunbeam

guardingthedoor.jpg

Guarding the door

crashedonthecouch.jpg

Crashed on the couch

For samralf....you were right all along, this is one feisty bitch!

jrm_8028.jpg

jrm_8032.jpg

Me and her softy brother
jrm_7986.jpg

Conformation class graduation tonight. Who doesn't love Berners?
3461246708_02f2736c36.jpg

Nikon's last stacking practice before the BIG show, this is what will be presented to Herr Dux on Friday morning.
3458067832_8c5a7bbf1f.jpg

This dog will do ANYTHING for his ball
3453714383_a284639e97.jpg

3453714761_7fc2797d5e.jpg

3454527290_b734dd85c7.jpg

3454520952_e6c351a0f4.jpg

I saw that first picture and thought, "oh dear lord, Charlie would be scared to death of her!" Do you think I made the right decision? I still feel really bad about the whole situation but seeing pics like those make me thing I wasn't the best owner for her. Anyway, she looks awesome!!! Just like momma! :heart: Thanks for posting the pictures of Bailey.

I saw that first picture and thought, "oh dear lord, Charlie would be scared to death of her!" Do you think I made the right decision? I still feel really bad about the whole situation but seeing pics like those make me thing I wasn't the best owner for her. Anyway, she looks awesome!!! Just like momma! :heart: Thanks for posting the pictures of Bailey.

I don't think you made the wrong decision, if it felt right for you. Julie never has any trouble placing dogs so I would not worry. There's some drama going on over her but it has nothing to do with you. In fact I think a lot of the drama comes from multiple people having such a vested interest in her, so I guess that's not a bad thing!

But I wouldn't sell yourself short. None of us working her or her siblings have done this sport before either and they are all coming along very nicely in their respective disciplines. I wouldn't want you to think that you have to be super experienced to own one and try the sport (and most of the siblings are doing nothing of the sort). One great thing about Julie is that she is not an elitists, these dogs can be great just as family pets as long as they are exercised and mentally stimulated, but it doesn't have to be Schutzhund or even any sort of formal training/competition.

Personally I like her conformation better than Nikon. Nikon is too bitchy for my taste and I hate that, lol (basically means he looks like a girl besides his man-junk). I'd rather have a doggy bitch. Nikon is so east-west in front he stands like a frickin ballerina, it's funny. Besides that and his bitchy head, I like his conformation but when he is placed in a stack he is intent on making himself ugly. Bailey is so much easier to stack, she doesn't fight it and she looks natural. Nikon hangs his head and pushes back.

Markus has this amazing head and Nikon got Kira's head I think!
16964.jpg

I don't think you made the wrong decision, if it felt right for you. Julie never has any trouble placing dogs so I would not worry. There's some drama going on over her but it has nothing to do with you. In fact I think a lot of the drama comes from multiple people having such a vested interest in her, so I guess that's not a bad thing!

But I wouldn't sell yourself short. None of us working her or her siblings have done this sport before either and they are all coming along very nicely in their respective disciplines. I wouldn't want you to think that you have to be super experienced to own one and try the sport (and most of the siblings are doing nothing of the sort). One great thing about Julie is that she is not an elitists, these dogs can be great just as family pets as long as they are exercised and mentally stimulated, but it doesn't have to be Schutzhund or even any sort of formal training/competition.

Personally I like her conformation better than Nikon. Nikon is too bitchy for my taste and I hate that, lol (basically means he looks like a girl besides his man-junk). I'd rather have a doggy bitch. Nikon is so east-west in front he stands like a frickin ballerina, it's funny. Besides that and his bitchy head, I like his conformation but when he is placed in a stack he is intent on making himself ugly. Bailey is so much easier to stack, she doesn't fight it and she looks natural. Nikon hangs his head and pushes back.

Markus has this amazing head and Nikon got Kira's head I think!
16964.jpg

I did notice that with her. When we were outside she would always stop in the perfect stack and the rare times she didn't, I would make her take an extra step to get it right. You never know maybe those 10 days of working with her really helped. Well I'd like to think I helped her accomplish something. :) On a side note, did you ever get Kenya's poop fixed?

Yeah, Nikon looks like he has Kira's head. He does look like he has the black face like Marcus. You think his face could get blockier as he gets older?

They are having so much fun! I would love to take my Golden to the beach but I'm terrified he'd swim out too far or get attacked by a shark (my worst fear!) As it happens, we live in a desert but he does enjoy the pool. This was taken about 4 yrs. ago.

sam.jpg

Here he is in my old garden. I miss that house :sad:

Sambig.jpg

This is Nikko. He passed on nearly 5 yrs. ago but he was very special. And the one below also has Natasha. They were truly an odd couple but grew up together and passed within 6 mos. of each other. I still miss them...

nikko.jpg

nikko_and_natasha.jpg

aww.. such nice pics.. love ur goldie..

the dog beaches here are shark free, basically a little inlet of a bay or river. And are pretty shallow enough for wading.

Thanks, guys :) Samralf, is that a Collie or a Sheltie in your avatar? U2fan, that's ideal, then! I grew up in Florida but ever since I saw Jaws (think I was 6 or 7) I've had that phobia!

Such wonderful pals our dogs are! Here's mine last week resting after exploring my mom's yard chasing squirrels, etc. Amy I can't believe how quick the puppy grew!!

04-22-09_1731.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom