For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 AM
I don't give Nikon more than a handful at either interval. Up until about 13 weeks, he seriously had to pee every 10 minutes if he was awake and/or had drank any water. In the morning I let him take some drinks and if he's obsessing over it, I take the water away. When I leave I toss a handful of kibble in the crate. His main meals are around 5:30 he gets 1.5 cups and then a few hours later I give him another cup before his evening nap, then later on still I use kibbles for training (so maybe another 1/2 cup). I'm not really picky about exactly how much he gets or when. I just look at his body condition, coat, energy level, etc and feed based on that. Many of the recommendations on kibble bags are double what dogs need anyway.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 AM
thanks lies,
I was thinking a lot less than the normal amount was the way to go I just wanted to ask.

If you work all day are you leaving water in her crate? I did that once recently and when we came home (I didn't even fill the small bowl that hooks to the side of the crate, just put about a third of the amount) my mom took her out of the crate (she picked her up and held her like we always do) to take her outside to pee and she peed on my mom's jacket.. So her lil bladder couldn't manage apparently. I feel bad if i leave nothing in the crate for four hours at a stretch but then again she goes all night without it so...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Nope, I don't leave water in the crate. They have unlimited access in the morning, and from when I get home until bed time. Nikon is the type to simply drink it b/c it's there and then yeah...pee all over!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

After taking my other dog...the black lab to work I learned she has Campy

Campy = severe bacterial infection in the intestines

Has the rat poison pup been doing Lies?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Oh no! Is that like SIBO?

He's doing good. Two more days of vit. K! Thank God, b/c I swear it's giving them horrible gas.

He got a stick stuck waaaay in the back of his mouth last week, that was fun to extract!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

The puppy does not know "stay" yet so I took these individually and combined them on the computer. I think that took less time than trying to get all three to stay and look at the camera!

Nikon is finished with the rat poison antidote. His vet appointment this morning was canceled b/c the Dr. was sick so we are going Monday night for his rabies shot, and then I can re-register everyone with the county.

Next Saturday is Nikon's first show and then the next Saturday after that he takes the AKC S.T.A.R test (a new obedience/socialization certification for puppies).
Old 12-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolnFromTheSea View Post
After taking my other dog...the black lab to work I learned she has Campy

Campy = severe bacterial infection in the intestines
How is your lab?

Thanks again for that shampoo! I *think* she is all healed up (I hope I didn't jinx myself). I've been checking her belly and can't find any more spots left. When I gave her a bath with your shampoo, I did find one other spot while I was blow drying (that's why I like those professional dryers, it allows me to search every inch of her skin). It was like a half-circle ring where it was still red. It looked like there had been a pustule that burst, then the infection spread to a silver-dollar sized circle, then that died from the cephlex but right on the edge there was some inflammation left so I washed it really good and applied mometamax again for a few days. Now I cannot find the spot so I think she's finally good to go. I will probably bathe her again with the shampoo in a few weeks. I really like the scent and I bought a calendar at the pet store where the money goes to the animal shelter and you get lots of coupons, some are free dog washes.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Love the Christmas card, Lies I took a pic of Evie with a santa hat last year, and it was so perfect, I sent it out to everyone with holiday wishes.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
That is sooo cute!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
How is your lab?

Thanks again for that shampoo! I *think* she is all healed up (I hope I didn't jinx myself). I've been checking her belly and can't find any more spots left. When I gave her a bath with your shampoo, I did find one other spot while I was blow drying (that's why I like those professional dryers, it allows me to search every inch of her skin). It was like a half-circle ring where it was still red. It looked like there had been a pustule that burst, then the infection spread to a silver-dollar sized circle, then that died from the cephlex but right on the edge there was some inflammation left so I washed it really good and applied mometamax again for a few days. Now I cannot find the spot so I think she's finally good to go. I will probably bathe her again with the shampoo in a few weeks. I really like the scent and I bought a calendar at the pet store where the money goes to the animal shelter and you get lots of coupons, some are free dog washes.

My lab is doing better--finally! A dog with bad diarrhea is a serious nightmare. She's going to be taking some industrial strength antibiotics for a few more days. Blech.

I'm glad to see that you liked the shampoo! I hope it helped. I use a different formula for my chihuahua and I have always liked it. I hope the spots don't come back.

Your Christmas card is so cute! Nikon looks like a little rapscallion--but the adorable kind!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #281
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Anyone have any experience with no-rinse shampoos (or any other ways of cleaning a dog without actually bathing it)? Do any of them work reasonably well? Falstaff's really too old and frail now for a bath to be practicable, but like most old dogs he frankly gets stinky pretty quickly, and it would be nice to have some way of cleaning him up a bit without subjecting him to the stress of a bath. We've tried sponging him with regular shampoo followed by sponging on water, but the soap residue that gets left behind irritates his skin.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Anyone have any experience with no-rinse shampoos (or any other ways of cleaning a dog without actually bathing it)? Do any of them work reasonably well? Falstaff's really too old and frail now for a bath to be practicable, but like most old dogs he frankly gets stinky pretty quickly, and it would be nice to have some way of cleaning him up a bit without subjecting him to the stress of a bath. We've tried sponging him with regular shampoo followed by sponging on water, but the soap residue that gets left behind irritates his skin.
Have you tried the baby wipe-like grooming wet wipes? I've used various types on sick and/or elderly dogs (and cats too) with decent results. Of course they don't do as good a job as a regular bath, but they are certainly less traumatic and the animal is noticeably cleaner and less smelly. Some brands have various types -- such as deodorising, allergy, conditioning -- too. I've found they work best on animals with shorter hair. They should be available at any pet store.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

I've never tried a leave-in shampoo. Do you know what causes the stink? Diet or allergies? That is what I always suspect first.

Lately when my dogs get into something I take them outside, rub them with snow, and then brush it out, lol. Yesterday Nikon rolled in some de-icing salt (non-toxic kind) at the dog club and when it mixed with melting snow on his back it actually made him feel really sticky and greasy so I gave him a snow rub-down.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

My hospital uses QuikClean by Fort Dodge on alot of our postop patients as well as our radiation oncology patients that can't get damp.

International Veterinary Sciences Quikclean Waterless Shampoo 32oz by Fort Dodge - Find lowest price on International Veterinary Sciences Quikclean Waterless Shampoo 32oz by Fort Dodge at Shopping.com
Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #285
War Child

Quote:

The puppy does not know "stay" yet so I took these individually and combined them on the computer. I think that took less time than trying to get all three to stay and look at the camera!

Nikon is finished with the rat poison antidote. His vet appointment this morning was canceled b/c the Dr. was sick so we are going Monday night for his rabies shot, and then I can re-register everyone with the county.

Next Saturday is Nikon's first show and then the next Saturday after that he takes the AKC S.T.A.R test (a new obedience/socialization certification for puppies).

Any chance you can take lots of pics of Bailey for me at the dog show? Please.... I miss her so much.