Nikon the nice

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 PM
aww lookie at that cutiepie nikon.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #198
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Aw, great pictures, as always, Lies! I think he's the most adorable little thing. Seeing all the Nikon pictures has seriously made me rethink my loyalty to labs. My brother has had a few German Shepherds, and I've bonded with his dogs, too. I'd definitely consider one for my next dog.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #199
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post

Quote:

Ha! Falstaff did that as a puppy too. Only he was a bit sneakier about it--he chewed a discreet little hole through the back of the bag, then helped himself to a few pieces at a time when I wasn't looking. Of course, he still wound up blowing his cover by removing too much, so not only did I eventually notice the kibble level mysteriously declining, but also even he couldn't manage to eat everything he took, so he wound up hoarding it beneath the sofa, under the bed, behind the desk etc. For a couple weeks after I finally caught onto his scheme, I still kept finding little stashes of abandoned kibble in very strange places.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #200
New Yorker

Quote:
And the furminator doesn't hurt them at all. I'm nowhere near as rough as the people on these websites are, but Sally has finer hair anyway and I suspect she has sensitive skin in general so I always try to be gentler. Under her legs and on her feathering she sometimes gets knots and it will pull, but I think anything is going to pull where matting or knots are. If I had the time to maintain her it would be even easier, but as it is she gets a groom every few weeks/month or so and is really OK with it this infrequently. If I had my way, I'd clip her coat down, but my mother is a dog snob and used to show dogs, so she's all, "No, her coat is glorious, I insist on clipping her to the breed standard" blah blah
Haha, yeah. We used to get our dog groomed and she would always come back home as if she were a sheep shaved for their wool. Here.. I actually have a picture...

She doesn't look too pretty when she's butt-naked bald. I enjoy keeping her furry because it keeps her "unknown" breed to stand out, something I still gotta figure out.. haha

About the furminator... yeah. I'm gonna look into that and probably invest in one of those. I'm sick of paying a bunch of money to get my dog groomed in some shady place where they don't give a flying shit about my dog, also known as Puppy Lovers.. though I'm not trying to discriminate.. (I caught them holding my dog by her forearms before... ... I mouthed off of course, who the fuck wouldn't?)

On a lighter note, haha, I have to build up the courage to clip her nails. I'm so scared to since it requires pressure in order to do it quickly.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #201
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post

About the furminator... yeah. I'm gonna look into that and probably invest in one of those.
I got one on eBay a month or two ago, at about half the price I would have paid here, in a store. $20, plus extremely cheap shipping to Canada, something like $3.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah the Furminator won't hurt the dog, but you CAN over-furminate, depending on breed/coat type. And you can definitely over-Furminate a cat! lol

For grooming, I didn't want to have to pay someone either, so I learned to do Coke's haircut myself. I have a regular scissors, thinning shears, rake brush, and pin brush, though with a Cocker you'd probably want a shaver and some blades. Technically I'm supposed to use that on Coke's private areas and his feet, but I get by with a scissors. He doesn't *look* groomed, but I brush him at least once a week and give him his hair cut every 2-3 weeks. I do a lot of work on his ears (if not groomed the hair would be like 6 inches long and he wouldn't really have a shaped ear), cut back the feathering on his front legs, use thinning shears on his chest and around his "mane", pull all the long hair on his feet up between his toes and cut it off along the top (cutting under the foot tickles and they hate it), trim the hair along his belly/underside, do a "sanitary trim", and keep his tail shaped. I was scared to do it at first but now it's second nature. Since Coke's not a breed there's no standard I have to adhere to.

My cut

Not cut (notice the ears, feathering on front legs, and "pants"/butt)

Old 11-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #203
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
And you can definitely over-Furminate a cat! lol
How do you know when you've over-Furminated a cat? I could do my guys for hours, and I swear fur would continue to come out. I could make 20 new cats with the excess fur. I've looked online, and I can't find any guidelines.

(sorry for the cat talk in the dog thread )

Coke is such an attractive dog, too.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #204
New Yorker

^ Your dog is beautiful. The coat is magnificent.

I loved how you described your dog's long fur as "pants/butt" haha. Yeah, I do well trimming my dog's ears because her ears lose shape after a few weeks. Those are easy to take care of, but from the looks of it, the furminator will be the most worthy opponent for my dog and her fur.
I hope my dog enjoys it as much as I'll enjoy brushing her!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

OMG looking at my own pics I can't believe I let his hair go that far! lol

Yeah I call his butt hair his "pants". I think that's what Aussie people call it? I trim Coke's a bit. I do a "sanitary clip" which usually means shaving the private areas, but for me I just straddle him on his back and hack as close to the skin as I can get. This is mainly b/c that hair is coarse with no undercoat and needs to be brushed with a pin brush, which obviously he hates so it's better to hack it off every once in a while than brush his man junk constantly.

VP, I have not done it myself but heard from others who have. You can easily over Furminate my dogs because of their coat type. An undercoat rake is better for them, it removes the right hair.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #206
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
OMG looking at my own pics I can't believe I let his hair go that far! lol

Yeah I call his butt hair his "pants". I think that's what Aussie people call it? I trim Coke's a bit. I do a "sanitary clip" which usually means shaving the private areas, but for me I just straddle him on his back and hack as close to the skin as I can get. This is mainly b/c that hair is coarse with no undercoat and needs to be brushed with a pin brush, which obviously he hates so it's better to hack it off every once in a while than brush his man junk constantly.

VP, I have not done it myself but heard from others who have. You can easily over Furminate my dogs because of their coat type. An undercoat rake is better for them, it removes the right hair.
So, when you're doing your cats, how do you know when to stop?

Not that mine will sit still long enough to let me do an effective job, but I can dream.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Our Collies really hated the furminator or anything that looks like it so we stopped using it. I have a feeling it can break the hair. Because Samson is so good with being brushed, I do take cues from him when he responds to a new brush because I know he's not just being fussy.

But I could literally make pillows out of his hair.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Yes it breaks hair. I'm not sure how a Collie's coat looks but a GSD's coat is different colors so getting black hair in the brush is bad, and that's what I get with a blade or a Furminator. It rips and breaks guard hair. An undercoat rake only pulls the cream or gray undercoat.

VP I'm the wrong person to ask, I brush my cats maybe twice a year! Even Marijke who has long hair doesn't really get dirty or matted. She's very small and lean though (like 5lbs), maybe that helps?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

P.S. I kinda like Coke's shaggy ears, he's hilarious with them.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Ugh they were icky! Stringy and very hard to keep clean and looking nice, as I'm sure you can tell. With his ear leather trimmed and shaped, he has more expression. You can see how he changes his ear set depending on what's going on. At first I wanted to him him all long and natural like a Collie but I think his "retriever" trim suits his personality better.