For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #166
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Hmm.. My boy has a short coat and doesn't shed much at all, so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I think between regular brushings and a really healthy diet, that does the trick.
__________________

__________________
kafrun is offline  
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:58 PM
All of my dogs shed constantly. Nikon and Kenya are medium hair, double coated and Coke is long hair, double coated. GSDs do sort of blow coat, but they also shed year round. I brush them every few days, have them on a good diet for coat, and vacuum once a day or every few days.
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dsmith2904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Just keep me where the light is
Posts: 12,290
Local Time: 06:58 PM
I comb my Cocker Spaniel with this after he goes to the groomer and a maybe once or twice a month after that to get rid of all the loose hair. It does seem to help.
__________________
dsmith2904 is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #169
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 01:58 PM
That link won't open on the shedender, but I'll google in a sec. Is yours an American of English Cocker?

Does anyone have any good tips for grass allergies, besides an antihistamine? Sally, my cocker, is bad with her red tummy again, and mum groomed her last week and said she is quite red around her hind legs. I hope there's something more than polaramine.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #170
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:58 PM
My Kenya had an allergic reaction on her belly and it turned into this really nasty horrific staph infection which I had to treat with two weeks of cephlex. That gave her a yeast infection in her ears so now I have her on mometamax. Ugh.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dsmith2904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Just keep me where the light is
Posts: 12,290
Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
That link won't open on the shedender, but I'll google in a sec. Is yours an American of English Cocker?

Does anyone have any good tips for grass allergies, besides an antihistamine? Sally, my cocker, is bad with her red tummy again, and mum groomed her last week and said she is quite red around her hind legs. I hope there's something more than polaramine.
The link from Yahoo! isn't working today, either (strange), but you can get it from several sites and stores. I got the Shedender at Walgreens.

I have an American Cocker. He doesn't have problems with grass but he does have other allergies that affect his ears. We give him Baby Benadryl occasionally.
__________________
dsmith2904 is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #172
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 03:58 AM
Yeah, Falstaff's vet recommended children's Benadryl (aka Dimedrol, diphenhydramine hydrochloride) for the grass(?) allergies he used to have. In his case the allergies didn't cause skin problems, just swollen eyes and wheezing from being outdoors at certain times of year, but the Benadryl really seemed to help. Definitely call your vet before going out and buying some though, as there are some medical conditions and other medications which contraindicate it, and also you'd want to be sure you're giving an appropriate dosage for her weight.

ETA: oops, just realized you said "besides an antihistamine." Erm, well, there's always the route of regular soaks in cool water with colloidal oatmeal lotion added, followed by fatty acid supplements (again, check with the vet before giving these supplements, as they have mild anticoagulant properties). Those can both help reduce allergic inflammation and itching.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #173
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Definitely call your vet before going out and buying some though, as there are some medical conditions and other medications which contraindicate it, and also you'd want to be sure you're giving an appropriate dosage for her weight.
My lab girl used to get seasonal skin allergies so severe she would scratch till she was raw, and the sores got infected once. My ex used to take this prescription antihistamine for itchy skin, and the vet told us that it was okay to give Kelly one of these when she started scratching. It worked really well.

A few years later when I was on my own, Kelly was going through a really bad season, and since I no longer had access to my ex's pills, I called the vet and they recommended I give her Benadryl, and told me the correct dosage. Within a couple of days, she could hardly walk - she was stumbling around like something was seriously wrong with her. I took her to the vet, and I was in tears, I was so upset. Turns out, the Benadryl was interacting with the phonobarbital she took daily for seizures. Since she'd been on the phenobarb for years, and being on it entailed ordering the drug from the vets every three months and twice yearly visits to the vets for blood testing, I assumed they would have taken this into account when they told me to give her the Benadryl. Turns out they hadn't. Within half a day off the Benadryl, she went back to normal.

I (and several others around here) am obsessed with this site these days: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shiba-inu-puppy-cam

__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #174
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 09:58 PM
I actually don't know what breed my dog is, but she seems to be a Spaniel mix or something.
I've been brushing her constantly but it doesn't seem to be helping. I think she's avoiding me now because I've been brushing her so much. I wouldn't be surprised if she was sore too. Not only is the fur an issue, but now I gotta figure out how to clip her nails.
It makes me sad whenever she flinches and thinks I'm gonna hurt her. I hate that feeling.
__________________
youtooellen is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #175
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Nikon ate rat poison today. These dogs really keep me on my toes...
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #176
I Serve Larry's Stick
 
~LadyLemon~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Akron
Posts: 7,392
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Nikon ate rat poison today. These dogs really keep me on my toes...
Yikes! He must be okay, right?
__________________
~LadyLemon~ is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Don't know yet. I saw him go into the shed (belongs to the landlord, his stuff) and look like he was licking something. The "something" was bright blue granules. I figured anything that artificially colored had to be bad, so I gave him hydrogen peroxide and he puked blue foam. I gave him some food and half an hour later, induced vomiting again, this time it was just food and no more blue. I investigated the shed until I found an empty rat poison tray, the poison had spilled out. I called two vets, both said there was nothing they could do as long as he was already puking clean. Tomorrow morning he's going in for vitamin K, the antidote, and I'm assuming he will need a blood test at some point. I've been told the brand he ate is "safer" for dogs, still not safe at all, but not going to kill a dog overnight. I believe that is why rat poison is so bad for dogs, they eat it and if you don't notice, by the time they are showing symptoms it's too late. It can take weeks I think.

I'm a little miffed that my landlord has spilled rat poison in his shed. I guess I'll be cleaning the place out tomorrow. Now I feel my wariness over Nikon is justified. Imagine where we'd be in two weeks if I hadn't seen him start licking the poison...
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 10:58 PM
omg lies! you must be a wreck.. that poor thing.. I am sorry to hear this but at least nikon will be ok.. Just gotta watch like a hawk tonite..

hang in there..
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #179
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Don't know yet. I saw him go into the shed (belongs to the landlord, his stuff) and look like he was licking something. The "something" was bright blue granules. I figured anything that artificially colored had to be bad, so I gave him hydrogen peroxide and he puked blue foam. I gave him some food and half an hour later, induced vomiting again, this time it was just food and no more blue. I investigated the shed until I found an empty rat poison tray, the poison had spilled out. I called two vets, both said there was nothing they could do as long as he was already puking clean. Tomorrow morning he's going in for vitamin K, the antidote, and I'm assuming he will need a blood test at some point. I've been told the brand he ate is "safer" for dogs, still not safe at all, but not going to kill a dog overnight. I believe that is why rat poison is so bad for dogs, they eat it and if you don't notice, by the time they are showing symptoms it's too late. It can take weeks I think.

I'm a little miffed that my landlord has spilled rat poison in his shed. I guess I'll be cleaning the place out tomorrow. Now I feel my wariness over Nikon is justified. Imagine where we'd be in two weeks if I hadn't seen him start licking the poison...
Oh god. So it's warfarin based, then? Yes, they should be able to do a blood test on him, just like they do for humans on blood thinners. From my understanding, the blood test would probably show the levels by tomorrow or the next day (my mom's on a blood thinner, and is tested regularly, as well as being tested when she's had to go off of it for surgeries, etc, and then tested again frequently when she goes back on it, to make sure it's up where it needs to be). Thank god you saw him, you probably saved his life. Keep us posted, please.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #180
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:58 PM
This is it:
BROMADIOLONE (PDS 88)
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com