For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give Nikon more than a handful at either interval. Up until about 13 weeks, he seriously had to pee every 10 minutes if he was awake and/or had drank any water. In the morning I let him take some drinks and if he's obsessing over it, I take the water away. When I leave I toss a handful of kibble in the crate. His main meals are around 5:30 he gets 1.5 cups and then a few hours later I give him another cup before his evening nap, then later on still I use kibbles for training (so maybe another 1/2 cup). I'm not really picky about exactly how much he gets or when. I just look at his body condition, coat, energy level, etc and feed based on that. Many of the recommendations on kibble bags are double what dogs need anyway.

thanks lies,
I was thinking a lot less than the normal amount was the way to go I just wanted to ask.

If you work all day are you leaving water in her crate? I did that once recently and when we came home (I didn't even fill the small bowl that hooks to the side of the crate, just put about a third of the amount) my mom took her out of the crate (she picked her up and held her like we always do) to take her outside to pee and she peed on my mom's jacket.. So her lil bladder couldn't manage apparently. I feel bad if i leave nothing in the crate for four hours at a stretch but then again she goes all night without it so...

Nope, I don't leave water in the crate. They have unlimited access in the morning, and from when I get home until bed time. Nikon is the type to simply drink it b/c it's there and then yeah...pee all over!

Oh no! Is that like SIBO?

He's doing good. Two more days of vit. K! Thank God, b/c I swear it's giving them horrible gas.

He got a stick stuck waaaay in the back of his mouth last week, that was fun to extract!

3087390543_6c7c99e08f.jpg

The puppy does not know "stay" yet so I took these individually and combined them on the computer. I think that took less time than trying to get all three to stay and look at the camera!

Nikon is finished with the rat poison antidote. His vet appointment this morning was canceled b/c the Dr. was sick so we are going Monday night for his rabies shot, and then I can re-register everyone with the county.

Next Saturday is Nikon's first show and then the next Saturday after that he takes the AKC S.T.A.R test (a new obedience/socialization certification for puppies).

After taking my other dog...the black lab to work I learned she has Campy :crack:

Campy = severe bacterial infection in the intestines :|

How is your lab?

Thanks again for that shampoo! I *think* she is all healed up (I hope I didn't jinx myself). I've been checking her belly and can't find any more spots left. When I gave her a bath with your shampoo, I did find one other spot while I was blow drying (that's why I like those professional dryers, it allows me to search every inch of her skin). It was like a half-circle ring where it was still red. It looked like there had been a pustule that burst, then the infection spread to a silver-dollar sized circle, then that died from the cephlex but right on the edge there was some inflammation left so I washed it really good and applied mometamax again for a few days. Now I cannot find the spot so I think she's finally good to go. I will probably bathe her again with the shampoo in a few weeks. I really like the scent and I bought a calendar at the pet store where the money goes to the animal shelter and you get lots of coupons, some are free dog washes.

Love the Christmas card, Lies :lol: I took a pic of Evie with a santa hat last year, and it was so perfect, I sent it out to everyone with holiday wishes.

How is your lab?

Thanks again for that shampoo! I *think* she is all healed up (I hope I didn't jinx myself). I've been checking her belly and can't find any more spots left. When I gave her a bath with your shampoo, I did find one other spot while I was blow drying (that's why I like those professional dryers, it allows me to search every inch of her skin). It was like a half-circle ring where it was still red. It looked like there had been a pustule that burst, then the infection spread to a silver-dollar sized circle, then that died from the cephlex but right on the edge there was some inflammation left so I washed it really good and applied mometamax again for a few days. Now I cannot find the spot so I think she's finally good to go. I will probably bathe her again with the shampoo in a few weeks. I really like the scent and I bought a calendar at the pet store where the money goes to the animal shelter and you get lots of coupons, some are free dog washes.

My lab is doing better--finally! A dog with bad diarrhea is a serious nightmare. She's going to be taking some industrial strength antibiotics for a few more days. Blech.

I'm glad to see that you liked the shampoo! I hope it helped. I use a different formula for my chihuahua and I have always liked it. I hope the spots don't come back.

Your Christmas card is so cute! Nikon looks like a little rapscallion--but the adorable kind! :wink:

Anyone have any experience with no-rinse shampoos (or any other ways of cleaning a dog without actually bathing it)? Do any of them work reasonably well? Falstaff's really too old and frail now for a bath to be practicable, but like most old dogs he frankly gets stinky pretty quickly, and it would be nice to have some way of cleaning him up a bit without subjecting him to the stress of a bath. We've tried sponging him with regular shampoo followed by sponging on water, but the soap residue that gets left behind irritates his skin.

Anyone have any experience with no-rinse shampoos (or any other ways of cleaning a dog without actually bathing it)? Do any of them work reasonably well? Falstaff's really too old and frail now for a bath to be practicable, but like most old dogs he frankly gets stinky pretty quickly, and it would be nice to have some way of cleaning him up a bit without subjecting him to the stress of a bath. We've tried sponging him with regular shampoo followed by sponging on water, but the soap residue that gets left behind irritates his skin.

Have you tried the baby wipe-like grooming wet wipes? I've used various types on sick and/or elderly dogs (and cats too) with decent results. Of course they don't do as good a job as a regular bath, but they are certainly less traumatic and the animal is noticeably cleaner and less smelly. Some brands have various types -- such as deodorising, allergy, conditioning -- too. I've found they work best on animals with shorter hair. They should be available at any pet store.

I've never tried a leave-in shampoo. Do you know what causes the stink? Diet or allergies? That is what I always suspect first.

Lately when my dogs get into something I take them outside, rub them with snow, and then brush it out, lol. Yesterday Nikon rolled in some de-icing salt (non-toxic kind) at the dog club and when it mixed with melting snow on his back it actually made him feel really sticky and greasy so I gave him a snow rub-down.

3087390543_6c7c99e08f.jpg

The puppy does not know "stay" yet so I took these individually and combined them on the computer. I think that took less time than trying to get all three to stay and look at the camera!

Nikon is finished with the rat poison antidote. His vet appointment this morning was canceled b/c the Dr. was sick so we are going Monday night for his rabies shot, and then I can re-register everyone with the county.

Next Saturday is Nikon's first show and then the next Saturday after that he takes the AKC S.T.A.R test (a new obedience/socialization certification for puppies).

Any chance you can take lots of pics of Bailey for me at the dog show? Please.... I miss her so much.:sad:

Yes I'll take pics when I see her again. I got a new flash for my camera. I missed the club on Friday b/c it snowed for 12 hours straight here so I didn't get to see her this weekend.

Thanks! I don't know if we are in the show or not b/c we are still waiting on the AKC for registration. It takes forever b/c the co-owners of Markus in Germany had to sign papers, then of course the AKC threw a fit about them being faxed and might demand originals (in which case I told Julie to just forge the sig, since Bernd signed and faxed the first copy obviously he approves of registering the litter). We'd show in a "non licensed class" but I'm trying to figure out if we still qualify without an AKC registration. I hate all the paperwork!! After these go through I still have to register him with the UKC, WDA, and UScA, plus have his microchip and tattoo registered. I swear this is how they make money. $15 for every piece of paper and I have to register for like 5 different things just to show a 3 month old puppy!

At any rate....the DSLR camera I'm borrowing no longer flashes for some reason. I took it apart very carefully and found the problem, but I don't have the right tools to fix it. The Norman Camera employee and I agreed it is cheaper to buy another flash than have Nikon (the company not my dog) fix it, so I bought the introductory model mounted flash. The owner of the camera is not concerned about the pop-up flash not working so I probably get to keep the flash when I get my own camera. It's so much better for indoor dog pics! It makes it look like we actually have light in our den NOT!

3089628955_8a0c381f41.jpg

3087860150_95c05bc0cc.jpg

3087860216_4ea9ab5f4d.jpg

3083780588_b62ff14fda.jpg

3082943817_9f18a5a198.jpg

3083779670_31236f8468.jpg

3082943233_22ba92c8b9.jpg

3082943165_156ff6815b.jpg

3078429227_026e60d84c.jpg

3079261946_c48a6b4580.jpg

3079261152_dec0fbb5eb.jpg

Thanks, that's his "normal" look. His ears went soft last week :(

I just took a bunch of really funny pics. Kenya decided to sleep on the top of the couch cushion (so on the top/back, like the cats). Nikon thought that was too unusual to pass up and launched a play-attack.

Cute pics!
Do you know what causes the stink? Diet or allergies? That is what I always suspect first.
Well, his vet said it's actually pretty normal for very old dogs to develop body odor more quickly between baths than they did when they were younger. For pretty much the same reason very old people do; the skin as an organ just doesn't work that efficiently anymore--it sheds sluggishly, the odor-producing bacteria present in any mammal's skin are no longer well-regulated by the immune system, and he probably doesn't groom himself very thoroughly anymore, either. It's not his diet, and he doesn't have any of the health problems commonly causing stinkiness (kidney disease, bad teeth, rashes, ear infection, gastric distress etc.). We do gently brush him daily, which helps; it's just that whereas he used to be able to go a few months between baths with no body odor, now he starts getting stinky again within a couple weeks, and it's just so hard on him to have to get all soaked and scrubbed rigorously like happens with a bath. I know nothing's gonna get him as clean as a bath; I was just wanting something gentle that we could use regularly to make him smell better.

I'll look for some of these grooming wipes at the pet store, and if those don't do the trick I'll ask my vet about the QuikClean. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks, that's his "normal" look. His ears went soft last week :(

I have an almost identical pic of Samson with his ears looking like that as a puppy. I remember thinking it was hilarious.

Did you have to do anything to his ears? Some people tape or cone a GSDs ears but most of the time they would have stood on their own anyway and if they aren't going to stand no amount of taping is going to help (though I just read someone's 4 year old GSDs ear finally stood). But a Collie's ears are tipped right? So they need to stand and fold? I'm not touching Nikon's ear yet since he should be teething soon and they usually drop for that. I keep giving him chews b/c I've heard it strengthens the muscle at the base of the ear and helps keep them up.

We need more pics of Samson....
tapfingers5rg.gif

Here is that pic I was talking about:

n58015847_36188778_3989.jpg

Yes, we had his ears taped initially (the breeder did it using some sort of mole skin product IIRC). However, the taping fell out a little while later and we didn't feel like taking him back to the breeder since she lived a couple of hours away. I think my Mom attempted to tape them herself once or twice but you do need some skill with the Collie since the ear is supposed to be tipped 2/3 of the way up or so. Anyway, point of the story, we left them alone and I think by the time he was about 6 months old he looked "normal" haha.

I'll be going home for Christmas soon so I'll take pics then!

Did you have to do anything to his ears? Some people tape or cone a GSDs ears but most of the time they would have stood on their own anyway and if they aren't going to stand no amount of taping is going to help (though I just read someone's 4 year old GSDs ear finally stood). But a Collie's ears are tipped right? So they need to stand and fold? I'm not touching Nikon's ear yet since he should be teething soon and they usually drop for that. I keep giving him chews b/c I've heard it strengthens the muscle at the base of the ear and helps keep them up.

We need more pics of Samson....
tapfingers5rg.gif

One of Charlies ears was floppy and one had the perfect Collie/Sheltie fold. I figured I would leave it up to nature thinking the floppy one would eventually tip. I don't know if you can see in my avatar but he has prick ears to make Nikon jealous.

my friends dog is so small, and it's bright white,,,i think it's like a terrier or something...well everytime we got to his house...and pull in the drive way...all of a sudden you ssee this white thing jumped up and around the windows...always so funny

Nikon won a blue ribbon! He LOVED the show so much I'm driving an hour to take him back tomorrow even if I have to put him up myself. His tail never stopped wagging. When the judge went to stroke him he bounced up and licked her all over her face (which thankfully she thought was cute). He definitely needs some ring training, but his temperament is good. He did not care one bit when I handed him off to the handler. He also went through all his obedience, tricks, and played with his balls and tugs at the show. Many dogs don't appear stressed, but often won't eat, focus, or play at the show because they are overwhelmed. Nikon seemed to think everyone was there to see him. I was worried he would whine and throw a fit b/c he hates being manhandled but I laughed the entire time he was in the ring. This was more of a socialization thing for him, but we ended up being the one German dog that beat the American dog!

3105450379_8ff1bd3467.jpg

3105450469_d682a237b2.jpg

3105450629_9cf7e8e691.jpg

3106282304_f5db1d5871.jpg

3106282374_13820d7149.jpg

Hard work being a show dog!
3106282604_aa73f5b74b.jpg

3105451159_174d023f9c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom