For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #136
War Child

Local Time: 09:52 AM
How do you get Nikon to stay in your yard without a leash?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samralf View Post
How do you get Nikon to stay in your yard without a leash?
He usually sticks around. For one, I have a decent sized yard and I encourage that he play and explore as long as it's within the boundaries. He has pretty good pack drive (he prefers to stay with me or the other dogs). Often multiple dogs go out, and he is more interested in playing with the other dog than getting away (Kenya is never leashed and Coke is on a long tether). If I need to go out front, he is on a leash or tied to the tree b/c the road is busy. He doesn't always come when called, but if we all go in and I pretend to shut the door, he drops what he's doing and comes in. Also, once he goes he is usually rewarded with free time in the house, which is more valuable to him than trying to run away outside. Sometimes I do use a leash, it just depends on the weather and how he has been acting. If I catch even the slightest whiff of skunk, we use the leash! Other times I leash him but let him drag the leash. Then if I takes off I only have to catch up enough to step on the leash.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

oh noez.^

she's so big since i saw her last... i can't get over how fast they grow.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Well, while we wait for Gracie pics, here are some dogs in Coke's class

Riggs - German Shepherd (I helped the family get him from the Mississippi Valley rescue)

Justin - Golden Retriever (Malagolds)

Phil and Coke practicing the restraint and calming touch (which Coke loves!)

Justin relaxes like it's his job! Also no difficulty with the restraint exercise.

Daisy - Greyhound

Old 11-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

well, i am trying to figure out the right time for when after playtime to take her out to pee. She's played a couple times today and we missed it(one time i was out of the room for a sec and my son was in there, i explained to him if you see her squat pick her up and go outside).. and she peed so I cleaned it up and sprayed the enzymic cleaner and cleaned up. But after she ate and took a short nap i took her outside to go potty and i said go pee, and after a couple of min she pooped. so i praised her a ton let her romp a little bit and brought her in the house, another time after a few minutes of her drinking water I took her outside and said go pee and she did, praised her again.. it's hard to gauge the time after play but i get it after eating, drinking and naps..

so much learning to do.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
SHE'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HOME..............

we are getting adjusted to the house and she did great on the ride home. No piccies yet.. she's napping right now in her crate and loves all her toys she actually brought them all into her crate...
Yay! I just love puppies.

I have a picture of Zeke when he was a puppy sprawled out in his crate with all his toys scattered around him. It was so cute!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

here are two of her sleeping in her crate with her head hanging over the side fast asleep.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

When Nikon is awake, we go out every 10 minutes, not kidding. Sometimes we will play outside and he might go 2-3 times while we are out, then pee inside 2 minutes later without warning. It's so weird b/c he can sleep from 11pm-7am and have no accidents and not wake us, but when he is awake and moving he goes several times every hour. Today his puppy class was an hour long. He wasn't that active (awake, but mostly sitting by me). We took him out twice during class and he peed both times.

A few people have told me he has too much freedom already, but I'm not bothered by an accident or two each day (considering he pees outside 20 times a day that's still over 90%!).
Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

So cute! She already loves it in there! Nikon REFUSED to be crated for the first three days. He howled, thrashed so hard he actually rolled the crate. I put in food, treats, kongs with peanut butter....and he starved himself in favor of throwing a fit. Barked nonstop the first two nights. Then he just changed and now he's *almost* fine. He sleeps all night, he's fine crated while I'm at work, sits quietly in the car. The only part we're still working on is learning patience and self-control while I am visible. During Coke's class, I crate Nikon and work on him being still while he can see me moving around with other dogs. He did great in class but then just now I left him in his puppy pen so I could use the bathroom and he threw a fit.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

she's having no problem with the crate. We put her toys in there and towels etc initially I just let her go explore. Her first nap I had the door open. And now this time, she is napping and we closed the door and not a peep out of her. When we picked up from the breeder today who was a dog show in Va. she was in wire crate with her brother.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

we are also teaching her her name today and i think its working. We got the freeze dried liver treats and called her from across the room, she came and we gave her a treat and praised her. We did this a few times already.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #147
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
well, i am trying to figure out the right time for when after playtime to take her out to pee. She's played a couple times today and we missed it(one time i was out of the room for a sec and my son was in there, i explained to him if you see her squat pick her up and go outside).. and she peed so I cleaned it up and sprayed the enzymic cleaner and cleaned up. But after she ate and took a short nap i took her outside to go potty and i said go pee, and after a couple of min she pooped. so i praised her a ton let her romp a little bit and brought her in the house, another time after a few minutes of her drinking water I took her outside and said go pee and she did, praised her again.. it's hard to gauge the time after play but i get it after eating, drinking and naps..

so much learning to do.

Ohhhhhh the potty training! Patience is SO important! Try taking the pup out about every hour or every 2 hours and after she eats, drinks, plays, naps just like you are doing. After she does her business give her lots of praise and a bit of play outside before heading back inside (weather permitting).

She is absolutely adorable though!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder if it's breed specific because neither of our Collies had any trouble being potty trained. I think maybe they had a couple of accidents overnight when they were really little, but that's it. I remember my Mom being very surprised about how little training they needed.

And Lies, Samson sounds like Nikon did the first few days in the crate. Except that whereas Nikon became reasonable, Samson never did so we just dumped the crate. It was seriously unbelievable, you'd think he was schizophrenic or something!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #149
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:52 AM
This is so funny, I couldn't resist!!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I wonder if it's breed specific because neither of our Collies had any trouble being potty trained. I think maybe they had a couple of accidents overnight when they were really little, but that's it. I remember my Mom being very surprised about how little training they needed.

And Lies, Samson sounds like Nikon did the first few days in the crate. Except that whereas Nikon became reasonable, Samson never did so we just dumped the crate. It was seriously unbelievable, you'd think he was schizophrenic or something!
Yep our potty training is going good now that we have a schedule. Some of the initial problems were probably due to his age, I got him before he was 8 weeks b/c of several scheduling conflicts (if I had waited he would have been all by himself anyway). No crate accidents in over a week and again he slept through the night. The only accidents he has in the house now are *right* next to the door. He runs to the door and whines, and it's really a matter of whether I get there fast enough. GSDs are supposedly fast potty trainers. The boys are harder b/c they have peanut bladders, but everyone I talked to had their dogs house trained by 4 months and he's 3 months tomorrow. The nice thing about Nikon is he literally lets himself out (I open the slider, he opens the screen door), pees, runs back to the house, and I let him back in. He doesn't seem to need the reward of being outside and most of the time I just stand by the door and don't even go out. Basically I treat him like the adults, he just goes out more frequently.

I don't know what the deal was with the crate thing. Now he's totally fine at night. Yesterday he was in his crate at the training club watching other dogs work and he was fine. I've also been taking him places in the car and leaving him crated while I run in to the store, just to get use to traveling and being left for short periods. Now that it's cooler he is comfortable in the car (anytime it's sunny and more than 60 degrees I'm really uncomfortable with dogs in the car). He is still upset if he's crated or penned when he knows we are home and he's not tired, but that's understandable. Usually that only happens if I have to get something done, or if he's being a bully to Coke and Coke needs some peace. Self-control will be a work in progress. If he's tired he just crashes.