For Cat Lovers Only XVIV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i really hope a kitten's disposition can change as they age, especially after one's been spayed. i'm so sick of this one hissing at everyone, especially when some kitties are trying to be friendly and shit. i mean, i'm trying to show her attention but she won't even let me pick her up or even pet her more than maybe once or twice if she's in the mood, sometimes i can't at all.

what i figure is she was a stray her whole life obviously and i just hope now that she's inside a house with food, water, and other people/cats hopefully in time she'll realise she's not in danger anymore and doesn't have to be so mean.

khan, we adopted a calico from the Humane Society in February 2006, so she's about 9 years old now. She had been a stray and apparently had been abused in the past. She still hisses at us occasionally, and still hisses at the little 'uns when they get too close.

I'm glad Sheldon doesn't hiss, but the random biting is getting annoying.

Give her some time Khan. When we just got Miep she was very shy and agressive at the same time, hissing a lot, biting out of nowhere, very mean. But she was dumped as just a kitten way too young, so she had no choice but try to survive. But now she's the sweetest kitty I know! So perhaps your cat just needs some time to adjust.

yeah, i'm figuring in time she'll mellow out, but my parents are just flipping out. :crack: they're like "she's been out with the cats for less than a week (the rest of the time she's had to be in isolation because she didn't have shots) and they're not all getting along, are they ever going to get along? :panic:"

they just need to chill, lol. heck, i've had a cat that snapped at everyone nearly her entire life and only mellowed out once she was about FIFTEEN. she seemed to want to engage with the cats when she could see them through the door so i'm taking it as a sign as her being overwhelmed and her instincts kicking in and thinking she's got to fight for her food.

plus i'm sure tiggy was like miep, she's only six months old but she's a stray. we tried to see if she was someone's cat because she was so gorgeous we thought she had to be someone's cat, but no one claimed her. so i figure her personality is just a result of having to deal with living outside either her entire life or being dumped because someone's cat had kittens and didn't want to bother with them or whatever.

Yeah it'll probably take a couple of months before she accepts other cats. Miep never did, though, but we didn't have another until she'd been with us for years. She didn't approve. but since yours was brought in a home with cats, it'll be easier to adapt.

:( I really don't get how people can just dump their cat outside like that. How can they be so heartless? If you're so stupid you got a cat you don't want, at least bring it to shelter!

I really hate seeing ads in the "Absolutely Free" column in the newspaper, like, "Free cat--moving and can't take." Well, then, you shouldn't have gotten a cat in the first place, ass-hat. :angry:

question regarding vaccinations:

how often should Wesley get a distemper shot? Is it every year? I thought it was every other year as well as a rabies shot. He got both last year and also the year before when he was at the shelter plus a booster of one of them at the time I took him in for his post adoption visit. I just got a reminder visit in the mail today to schedule his annual check up and it states he needs both shots again. I don't want to subject him to any unnecessary vaccines.

My vet said that because Sheldon's a totally indoor cat, he only needs the distemper every other year.

Wesley is indoor only too.

After I posted this I talked to my sister and she said her cat gets a 3 year vaccine because she's such a beast at the vet that she can't deal with taking her in every year. I didn't know that was an option to do. She did say it costs more.

I took him in last year at this time and it was so hot out. I didn't have my a/c on at home when we first walked in from our appointment. He was just so uncomfortable until the air kicked in. He couldn't find a cool spot and looked miserable. I don't want to see him go through that if he doesn't need to get them every year. If he does need them I guess I'll make sure I crank up the a/c before I leave the house so at least he'll have a cool vent to snuggle up on.

:( I really don't get how people can just dump their cat outside like that. How can they be so heartless? If you're so stupid you got a cat you don't want, at least bring it to shelter!
i know! i'll never forget this one house we had, the previous owners moved and just left their cat behind. the poor thing hung around all the time. now we would've taken her in but then we thought having two cats was a lot! :lmao:

oh and arw, my vet will allow us to vaccinate every two years if the cat's indoors too.

Sheldon is a little toad. My shoulder's been bothering me lately. What does he do? Perches on it like a dang parrot. he was promptly removed.

Here's my cat, Kahlo, in a bit of a down moment (forgive my amateur photography skills):

iYup, did you name your cat after Frida Kahlo?

That's actually the least surprising thing I heard all day, I was just curious.

iYup, did you name your cat after Frida Kahlo?

That's actually the least surprising thing I heard all day, I was just curious.

Yeah, but there's a story there. The cat had belonged to my grandmother, but she recently had to go into a nursing home. My girlfriend and I adopted the cat to prevent her from going back to the shelter. My grandmother had named her "Katie," which did not fit her personality at all - I also could not really stomach the name. So we looked for something that would retain the basic sound while also being more distinctive. We settled on "Kahlo." The name also has a connection to the dog we had at the time, Trotsky, as the historical Trotsky and Kahlo had briefly been lovers. So there you have it.

My cat's name is Tigger because that's what the clown that owned him before me named him :(

My grandmother had named her "Katie," which did not fit her personality at all - I also could not really stomach the name.
:depressed:

My cat's name is Tigger because that's what the clown that owned him before me named him :(
aww, i find cats will respond to a different name eventually. hell, one of my cats i adopted from a place that took in strays had a different name too. i was not about to have a cat named fuzzle loo. i wish i was kidding about that name. i renamed him dolemite and he not only responds to that name, but the name of every other cat in the house. he's a bit of an attention whore.

Back
Top Bottom