For Cat Lovers Only XVIV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc. - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #331
War Child

Local Time: 04:08 AM
I'm not sold on cats...

Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #332
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:08 AM
i really hope a kitten's disposition can change as they age, especially after one's been spayed. i'm so sick of this one hissing at everyone, especially when some kitties are trying to be friendly and shit. i mean, i'm trying to show her attention but she won't even let me pick her up or even pet her more than maybe once or twice if she's in the mood, sometimes i can't at all.

what i figure is she was a stray her whole life obviously and i just hope now that she's inside a house with food, water, and other people/cats hopefully in time she'll realise she's not in danger anymore and doesn't have to be so mean.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #333
Blue Crack Supplier

khan, we adopted a calico from the Humane Society in February 2006, so she's about 9 years old now. She had been a stray and apparently had been abused in the past. She still hisses at us occasionally, and still hisses at the little 'uns when they get too close.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

I'm glad Sheldon doesn't hiss, but the random biting is getting annoying.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #335
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Give her some time Khan. When we just got Miep she was very shy and agressive at the same time, hissing a lot, biting out of nowhere, very mean. But she was dumped as just a kitten way too young, so she had no choice but try to survive. But now she's the sweetest kitty I know! So perhaps your cat just needs some time to adjust.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #336
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

yeah, i'm figuring in time she'll mellow out, but my parents are just flipping out. they're like "she's been out with the cats for less than a week (the rest of the time she's had to be in isolation because she didn't have shots) and they're not all getting along, are they ever going to get along? "

they just need to chill, lol. heck, i've had a cat that snapped at everyone nearly her entire life and only mellowed out once she was about FIFTEEN. she seemed to want to engage with the cats when she could see them through the door so i'm taking it as a sign as her being overwhelmed and her instincts kicking in and thinking she's got to fight for her food.

plus i'm sure tiggy was like miep, she's only six months old but she's a stray. we tried to see if she was someone's cat because she was so gorgeous we thought she had to be someone's cat, but no one claimed her. so i figure her personality is just a result of having to deal with living outside either her entire life or being dumped because someone's cat had kittens and didn't want to bother with them or whatever.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #337
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Yeah it'll probably take a couple of months before she accepts other cats. Miep never did, though, but we didn't have another until she'd been with us for years. She didn't approve. but since yours was brought in a home with cats, it'll be easier to adapt.

I really don't get how people can just dump their cat outside like that. How can they be so heartless? If you're so stupid you got a cat you don't want, at least bring it to shelter!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #338
Blue Crack Supplier

I really hate seeing ads in the "Absolutely Free" column in the newspaper, like, "Free cat--moving and can't take." Well, then, you shouldn't have gotten a cat in the first place, ass-hat.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #339
arw
Blue Crack Addict

question regarding vaccinations:

how often should Wesley get a distemper shot? Is it every year? I thought it was every other year as well as a rabies shot. He got both last year and also the year before when he was at the shelter plus a booster of one of them at the time I took him in for his post adoption visit. I just got a reminder visit in the mail today to schedule his annual check up and it states he needs both shots again. I don't want to subject him to any unnecessary vaccines.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

My vet said that because Sheldon's a totally indoor cat, he only needs the distemper every other year.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #341
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Wesley is indoor only too.

After I posted this I talked to my sister and she said her cat gets a 3 year vaccine because she's such a beast at the vet that she can't deal with taking her in every year. I didn't know that was an option to do. She did say it costs more.

I took him in last year at this time and it was so hot out. I didn't have my a/c on at home when we first walked in from our appointment. He was just so uncomfortable until the air kicked in. He couldn't find a cool spot and looked miserable. I don't want to see him go through that if he doesn't need to get them every year. If he does need them I guess I'll make sure I crank up the a/c before I leave the house so at least he'll have a cool vent to snuggle up on.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #342
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I really don't get how people can just dump their cat outside like that. How can they be so heartless? If you're so stupid you got a cat you don't want, at least bring it to shelter!
i know! i'll never forget this one house we had, the previous owners moved and just left their cat behind. the poor thing hung around all the time. now we would've taken her in but then we thought having two cats was a lot!

oh and arw, my vet will allow us to vaccinate every two years if the cat's indoors too.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #343
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTLCTYGOOFBALL View Post
I'm not sold on cats...

Would House Cats Eat their Owners if the Owners Died and the Cats Were Hungry? | Big Site of Amazing Facts ®

*And don't worry..I've had more than 20 cats when including kittens the cats i had had...

*Edited to prevent banning
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #344
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Local Time: 05:08 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63547477@N02/7355551280/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63547477@N02/7355548690/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63547477@N02/7355553906/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63547477@N02/7355557164/

Those are just a few of my cat that are on my Flickr photostream. They were all taken back in August 2010. There's more up there (plus several of my guitars and me being really silly) so feel free to check out some more at Flickr: TheFly360's Photostream
Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 AM

Kitty Confessions: What They Don’t Want You to Know from LaRosaKnows