For Cat Lovers Only XVIV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone requested some updates on Bowie

224185_10100194920534664_1508405773_n.jpg

561755_10100190581954214_398728834_n.jpg

545426_10100168606418364_618365399_n.jpg

480997_10100127513598704_1634883062_n.jpg

Have fun with those :wave:

Sheldon has developed a weird habit. He still uses his box, mind, and digs a hole but has stopped burying his poos. I don't know why. Box is always clean and scooped.

Hi gang. I have a crisis... a cat crisis.

There's this lovely, friendly tuxedo cat who lives around here, though I don't know exactly which one of my neighbours owns it, or if it even has an owner to begin with - it has no collar, but she does appear to be well fed and fairly healthy. Anyway, it's always been pretty friendly to me in the past when I'm walking nearby, it's a surprisingly social cat who meows a lot, loves to be petted and, for some reason, loves the sound of someone clicking their fingers. So for a long time, this was just a cat I saw every now and then, would give it a pet if it came up to me, and off I went. I had wondered exactly how the supposed owner would feel about this, but I've petted plenty of neighbour's cats in the past and nothing came of it, so I didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, a few months ago the cat started coming over more regularly, hanging out in my backyard as Spring started to come. Half the time when I went outside, the cat would be there, and though I was slightly concerned that it was spending time here, it still felt quite nice, as it's like having a cat of your own without having to do any of the owner stuff. But one night, the cat just sat outside and meowed at my window. All night. And it happened again and again. I didn't know what to do. I shut my window and slammed on it but the cat wouldn't react. It's not easily frightened. It would stay there, hang out, and try to get into the house - but the main thing it wants is to be cuddled.

So this has been going on for a while, but now it's reached a turning point. The cat gave me the gift of a rat missing its head, right by the door. A few dead birds have shown up in my backyard, too. Does this mean it now sees me as more than it's owner? How do I contact the owner or find out if it even has an owner? How can I not pay attention to it when it's the sweetest cat in the world and loves to meow at my window? Was I in the right to pet it in the first place, even though it was friendly and had no collar? What if it gets sick and it's possibly-imagined owner doesn't do anything to help it and then I get struck with guilt and wonder if I should take it to a vet?

I've never fed it, only ever given it cold water on one or two extremely hot days. But I'm a cat lover, and I could never resist such a charming character. I never should have been so friendly to it in the first place - but this cat is almost like a dog, it comes to see friends and people at my place that it's never met before, it doesn't discriminate on cuddles at all. I even helped it get off the roof one time. (it's pretty clumsy for a cat).

Advice is welcome. I know the obvious thing would be just to not see the cat, but that's really damn difficult.

You could ask your neighbors if they know if the cat has an owner.

There was a grey cat in our neighborhood that would make the rounds to the neighbor houses to be petted and get a little treat. My dad asked around and found out it belonged to someone on the street behind us.

There's this lovely, friendly tuxedo cat who lives around here, though I don't know exactly which one of my neighbours owns it, or if it even has an owner to begin with - it has no collar, but she does appear to be well fed and fairly healthy. Anyway, it's always been pretty friendly to me in the past when I'm walking nearby, it's a surprisingly social cat who meows a lot, loves to be petted and, for some reason, loves the sound of someone clicking their fingers. So for a long time, this was just a cat I saw every now and then, would give it a pet if it came up to me, and off I went. I had wondered exactly how the supposed owner would feel about this, but I've petted plenty of neighbour's cats in the past and nothing came of it, so I didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, a few months ago the cat started coming over more regularly, hanging out in my backyard as Spring started to come. Half the time when I went outside, the cat would be there, and though I was slightly concerned that it was spending time here, it still felt quite nice, as it's like having a cat of your own without having to do any of the owner stuff. But one night, the cat just sat outside and meowed at my window. All night. And it happened again and again. I didn't know what to do. I shut my window and slammed on it but the cat wouldn't react. It's not easily frightened. It would stay there, hang out, and try to get into the house - but the main thing it wants is to be cuddled.

So this has been going on for a while, but now it's reached a turning point. The cat gave me the gift of a rat missing its head, right by the door. A few dead birds have shown up in my backyard, too. Does this mean it now sees me as more than it's owner? How do I contact the owner or find out if it even has an owner? How can I not pay attention to it when it's the sweetest cat in the world and loves to meow at my window? Was I in the right to pet it in the first place, even though it was friendly and had no collar? What if it gets sick and it's possibly-imagined owner doesn't do anything to help it and then I get struck with guilt and wonder if I should take it to a vet?

I've never fed it, only ever given it cold water on one or two extremely hot days. But I'm a cat lover, and I could never resist such a charming character. I never should have been so friendly to it in the first place - but this cat is almost like a dog, it comes to see friends and people at my place that it's never met before, it doesn't discriminate on cuddles at all. I even helped it get off the roof one time. (it's pretty clumsy for a cat).

Advice is welcome. I know the obvious thing would be just to not see the cat, but that's really damn difficult.

Looks like you've made a new friend. As suggested above, you can knock on a few doors and ask around and even if your immediate neighbors may not own the cat, they might have an idea who the owner is.

Another way to find the owner, if one exists, is by taking in the cat temporarily. Of course this is a lot more effort and investment on your part.

Take in the cat for a few days and keep an eye out for anyone asking around for it or putting up fliers. If you do find the owner you can explain that the cat was spending a lot of time outside your house, it had no tags and you were worried for its safety.

You do, however, have to be prepared for the outcome that there is no owner and you now have a stray cat living in your house. In this case I would immediately take him to a Vet and get him checked out.

I would suggest only take in the cat if you are prepared to go all the way and adopt him if no owner comes forward. Otherwise, as cruel as it sounds you have to leave things as they are and let nature take its course. Its not fair to either you or the cat to become attached to each other and then having to take him to a shelter after a few days.

When I was a kid, we took in a friendly stray. It looked well fed and healthy, and quickly made itself at home. Massive investment - we gave it the deluxe treatment. Vetinary care (jabs, worming etc), flea drops, twenty bucks a week on food/kitty litter etc. We even had a catflap installed. But we were very fond of him, so it was all good. Three months later he disappeared and we feared the worst. My dad worked as an estate agent, and an old lady a few blocks away was selling her house so he went to do an appraisal. Lo and behold, there was the cat lounging on her sofa. My dad asked the old lady how she came by the cat, and she said it turned up in her yard a few months back and she took it in. Moral of the story? Sociable stray cats that look healthy know how to take care of themselves. If they find someone who can give them a better deal, they'll go there without a second thought. So my advice is only take it in if 1) you are prepared for a considerable financial/ emotional investment and 2) you don't mind if it disappears after a while once it gets bored of you.

I got my first cat (Monzy) when I noticed that she was outside in all weathers and didn't appear to have an owner (who cared). my then neighbours noticed and started feeding her along with their own cats- I put out bits and pieces as I couldn;t just ignore her. One day she saw me come home and charged into my flat and curled up- when she woke up I saw she had something wrong with her eye- took her to the vet and got it sorted then I basically kept her at that point and waited to see if anyone came looking for her- no-one did

I did eventually work out that her owner lived in the flat opposite mine- which made things a bit awkward when she jumped back into her old home. Her previous owner was a not well person who basically drunk himself to death over a few years- he did see her again and tried to call her- but Monzy ignored him- there was a second cat that I called Stinky (for obvious reasons) that died of natural causes.

I don't regret what I did- I gave her a great home/life for 7 years- all likelihood Monzy wouldn't lived that long had I not kept her- her previous owner couldn't look after himself let alone a cat- and had a rather sad end ultimately

Majestic Oreo & exotic Boomer, or vice versa. It's been 5 years this mother's day since I brought them home from my parents house out in the country. They were just babies then, big heads and small bodies with rat tails, eyes large with reflections of the world they had yet to see.

SU1HLTIwMTMwNDI3LTAwODk4LmpwZw_zps03caa906.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTMwNDI3LTAwODk3LmpwZw_zpsecbaae53.jpg
SU1HLTIwMTMwNDI3LTAwODk0LmpwZw_zpsc0f4b049.jpg

Yes their perfect eyes glow in the flash of the camera.

Dry food, Blue Buffalo, in the morning, and wet food in the evening, with a brush and some "greenies" or kitty grass in between.

Best friends I could have with four legs.

Back
Top Bottom