For Cat Lovers Only XVIV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We trim Callie's and Fergus's claws ourselves, and they tolerate it pretty well. I hold them; Alex trims the claws. Well, we thought we'd try it with the little 'uns, Bronwyn and Finnula, as their claws are like little needles. We chose poorly. It's amazing how a six-pound (if that!) cat can twist and turn and change into a whirling wheel of teeth and claws. I just couldn't hold them! So we took them to the vet today for their manicure and pedicure. They must have been really scared, cos they were completely docile with the vet tech. We watched to see if maybe we can try it again at home. If not, it's back to the vet in a couple of months.

Oh--and the tech told us a very interesting thing I'd never heard before. We were talking about how the kits were from the same litter, but look so completely different. (There was a third kitten, who looked very much like Finnula; but it disappeared a few months ago. :sad:) Anyway, she told us that kittens from the same litter can have different fathers--that when a cat is in heat, they don't ovulate until *after* they mate, therefore enabling the kittens to have different fathers! Has anyone ever heard that before???

We trim Callie's and Fergus's claws ourselves, and they tolerate it pretty well. I hold them; Alex trims the claws. Well, we thought we'd try it with the little 'uns, Bronwyn and Finnula, as their claws are like little needles. We chose poorly. It's amazing how a six-pound (if that!) cat can twist and turn and change into a whirling wheel of teeth and claws. I just couldn't hold them! So we took them to the vet today for their manicure and pedicure. They must have been really scared, cos they were completely docile with the vet tech. We watched to see if maybe we can try it again at home. If not, it's back to the vet in a couple of months.

Oh--and the tech told us a very interesting thing I'd never heard before. We were talking about how the kits were from the same litter, but look so completely different. (There was a third kitten, who looked very much like Finnula; but it disappeared a few months ago. :sad:) Anyway, she told us that kittens from the same litter can have different fathers--that when a cat is in heat, they don't ovulate until *after* they mate, therefore enabling the kittens to have different fathers! Has anyone ever heard that before???

That's a fun Friday Fact for you :huh:. I did not know that about the whole ovulation after they mate deal.

You're lucky your older ones let you trim their claws. I can't even brush Keto withour coming away with scratches sometimes.

In fact I have a nice bloody claw mark on my right hand from trying to brush away some matted hair last night

All of ours except Fergus use the scratching posts, and he tends to use door frames, which causes a shout of "FERGUS!! NO!" from us. The kittens use the posts, and are being taught not to use door frames or furniture. GG, maybe the fact that Miep is an indoor/outdoor cat keeps her claws "trimmed." The little ones have little needles on their feet! When we went to pick them up after their initial shots and spaying, the vet told us that when we first brought them in, Bronwyn had gotten away from them and had climbed all the way up the door frame in the room until she ran out of climbing wood. Didn't surprise me, cos she's the one we would see halfway up a tree when they were still outside. :lol:

I forgot to mention yesterday that when we got home from the vet, MrPurrl took the cat carrier to the room where we sequestered the kits when we first got them to let them out. Fergus was most eager to get in and see them, and they rushed over to him like, "We're home! Protect us!" It was pretty sweet. :cute:

Fergus was most eager to get in and see them, and they rushed over to him like, "We're home! Protect us!" It was pretty sweet. :cute:

Aww :cute:

IMG_0576.jpg

Wally is tired . . . and yellow.

i did, but only because i just found out recently myself. in trying to find out wtf was wrong with a stray i took in (that i suspected was in heat), i found out all sorts of facts about female cats in heat that i didn't even want to know. :lol: it's pretty funky though to think that it's even possible.

Same thing can happen with dogs too.

Man, I have learned something here today! Didn't know about dogs, either! :reject:

Female cats be gettin busy. :sexywink: Finn is a small maine coon in appearance (13lbs, longer fur, etc), meanwhile his mom and all of his siblings were silver shorthaired tabbies.

All of ours except Fergus use the scratching posts, and he tends to use door frames, which causes a shout of "FERGUS!! NO!" from us. The kittens use the posts, and are being taught not to use door frames or furniture. GG, maybe the fact that Miep is an indoor/outdoor cat keeps her claws "trimmed." The little ones have little needles on their feet! When we went to pick them up after their initial shots and spaying, the vet told us that when we first brought them in, Bronwyn had gotten away from them and had climbed all the way up the door frame in the room until she ran out of climbing wood. Didn't surprise me, cos she's the one we would see halfway up a tree when they were still outside. :lol:

I forgot to mention yesterday that when we got home from the vet, MrPurrl took the cat carrier to the room where we sequestered the kits when we first got them to let them out. Fergus was most eager to get in and see them, and they rushed over to him like, "We're home! Protect us!" It was pretty sweet. :cute:

:lol: Climbed up the door frame? Wow, that's impressive!

Yeah to be fair, miep sometimes goes after the couch or chairs, and the hallway staircase has very little wallpaper left. :giggle: But it was ugly anyway.

I just sent in a donation to the humane society for Wesley's 2 year anniversary of his adoption. I can't believe it's been 2 years this week!

first pics I took of him the day day we met :drool:
IMG_4058.jpg

this is one of my all time favorite pics of him. So adorable and so little.
IMG_4055.jpg

such a big guy now.....guarding his toys. :cute:
de7a8ce3.jpg

My friends who own the maine coon cat which we catsit when they're away just adopted a kitten yesterday. I went over to see it, it's sooo cute. Will try and post pics later.

Wesley sure has grown a lot. :giggle: and his pose is so very masculine, with one paw over his play pole.

:cute: Aww cute kitten!

:D My sister is getting a kitten soon, they're on the Cattery's list and will get her when she's 13 weeks. Guess who's the babysit!

Adorable!

So, my kitties are doing well. Mr MacPhisto the skittish one didn't complete freak out when I had cleaners over, so he seem to be calming down. He's a definite lap cat, and loves hiding under the covers like so.

11ih35i.jpg

Salome is eccentric. She's quite talkative and responds to me when I talk to her. It's adorable. She's also taken to drinking from her dish like this. Seriously. She may be the laziest cat I've ever seen. :heart:

2me7pd2.jpg

Hi everyone, hope you and your pets are all well. :wave: My guys (all seven of them!) are still crazy and wonderful and my babies, and I wouldn't trade a second with them. I need to take new pictures to post when I have a sec.

Anyway, just wanted to share a story. Over a year ago, when Max developed his bladder problems, I bought a Catit fountain, made by Hagen. All my cats love it. It looks like this:

multi-surface.jpg

I filled it the other night, and it overflowed. The water filled dome has a mechanism where it is only supposed to drain if the dish gets below a certain level. Mine was full, but the dome drained anyway, and resulted in a puddle on the floor. Since my cats love it so much and I didn't want to trash it, I emailed the company to ask what the problem could be. The customer service rep who responded the next day suggested that it could be this one part that was worn, and she offered to send me the part, FREE OF CHARGE. Like I said, it's over a year old, no longer under warranty. And she's going to just send me the part, no questions asked. Good customer service is so rare, I just wanted to let you all know...they apparently stand behind their products. I'm really glad, because like I said, all my cats love it, and they no longer make this model, so I'd hate to have to replace it.

Just read back a bit in the thread (I really need to get here more often...) but yes, I've heard of that. It's a running joke in our house that Kitty, the mom, was the neighbourhood 'ho before we took her in, because the kittens in her litter looked so different. I think there were at least three different father cats. Now if I could only figure out how to make them pay support... ;)

Nail trimming trick - if the cats are being uncooperative when their nails are being trimmed, have the person holding them hold the scruff of their neck...you're scruffing them, like mother cats do when they're carrying/disciplining, but with adult cats, you're not dangling them...support their body weight (by letting them lay across your lap) but holding firmly to the scruff of their neck tends to calm them a bit. We've been trimming their nails since they were born, and we STILL need to scruff them some of them sometimes. Also helps to do it just after they're fed and in that sleepy, calm state. Good luck!

Also - you have little ones??!!

Thanks for the scruffing tip! Mama Kitty seemed to always have a black kit, a ginger kit, and a tabby until this latest litter. We brought Bronwyn and Finnula in mid-March, and they are about 8 months old now. :love:

That sounds like a cool product VP! Perhaps I should get Miep one for summer to get her to drink enough.

By the way, her ear infection seems all gone! :D I got my kitty back again. She hears again like a pro(open a bag or getting yoghurt takes her just a second to come to you and eye you), and is very responsive and cute again. :love: I'm so happy! And we didn't have to bring her to the vet again(which she HATES).

Sheldon's been just...bitchy the past few days. Can't walk in the room without getting yelled at for one reason or another. And then he'll turn around and be affectionate for a few minutes, and then he'll either bite or get up and walk away. Is there something wrong, or is he just being a cat?

Shelter said he was 5, but I think he might be younger. He acts like a kitten so often.

Back
Top Bottom