favorite art? artists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
so who is your favorite artist and piece?

My favorite artist is Caravaggio (a true bad ass if you read his biography) my favorite piece is The Card Sharps

carav12.jpg

I love Modigliani. Even though his work is very flat and modern, it's so emotional. I also like the way he fills the eyes in like little kids do when they color. I have this poster in my room. It's the first Modigliani I ever saw in person.
amedeo-modigliani-jeanne-hebuterne.jpg

"La Petite Danseuse de Quatorze Ans" ("Little Dancer of Fourteen Years") by Edgar Degas.

But as far as modern artists go, lately I've really been into the photography of Elle Moss, the illustrations of Kristiana Parn, and the overall brilliance of Miranda July.

Stuff I've discovered online:

Marc Johns -

418939715_f0cbbe697c.jpg

But super popular artists and such, not anything obscure, Van Gogh :D:

van-gogh-vincent-starry-night-7900566.jpg

My favorite painting ever...I would love to see it

Taking an art history course last year exposed me to a lot of awesome art that I'd have never taken an interest in beforehand, like:

Suerat
Seurat.jpg

Lichtenstein
roy4%5B1%5D.jpg

Marat
david_marat.jpg

I also paid a visit to an Andy Warhol exhibit at the art gallery last year.
My favorite piece:
lutzfront.jpg

That's great. :lol: I looked at Marc Johns' website after you posted this and he has some pretty quirky/funny stuff. :up:

I know I posted a funny one of his, but I really do think his whole post-it note art thing is awesome. Glad I could share his greatness with someone :D

Whoa, this is always as difficult. I'm an art junkie and love several artists. Lately I've been very much into photography. But one of the most impressive exhibitions I've seen was Edward Hopper in London a couple of years ago. Night hawks is probably my fave from him:

hoppernighthawks.jpg

As a kid, this painting absolutely fascinated me

TheRock1948PeterBlume.jpg

Peter Blume - The Rock

(not sure who my most favorite is now though)

Jeffrey Smart, Australian urban landscape painter, Portrait of David Malouf, 1980:
smart4.gif

James Gleeson, Australian Surrealist, We inhabit the corrosive littoral of habit, 1940:
im_gleeson02_a.jpg

Jan Van Eyck, Flemish, Unknown title but referred to as Arnolfini Wedding, Portrait of Giovanni and Giovanna Arnolfini, among others, 1434:
437px-

Reg Mombassa, Aussie boy beyond definition, Australian Jesus and the Golden Motorbike:
RegMobasa_070309021124278_wideweb__300x200.jpg

Tom Roberts, Australian Landscape painter, Heidelberg School, Shearing the Rams 1888-90:
apa00106.jpg

There's so many more.

I love that sculpture. I've seen it many, many times at the Joslyn Art Museum. :up:

I gave a security guard a slight stroke when I reached out and touched her skirt at the Met in NYC back in the late nineties when she was there.

I don't know why I did it, I know better than to touch art, it was a stupid moment but she's been my favorite ever since.

I love Modigliani.

Me too. Just wonderful. I was fortunate to see a huge exhibit of his works in Toronto maybe 3 years ago. And there are some good pieces at MOMA that I saw this summer.

I also really like Paul Gauguin. I am not a huge fan of impressionism and I really don't like Monet at all, but there is great work to be found among the post-impressionists.

And I love Durer's drawings so much I can't put into words.

I am a huge art geek, mainly because I couldn't draw, paint or sculpt so I learned everything I could about it to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom