Family friendly motel/hotel in Santa Monica/SD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
Mr.Z and I are going to So Cal in a couple weeks and we're looking for recommendations for decent but not expensive hotels (like Comfort/Quality Inn type places). It's so hard to tell online so I thought I'd ask y'all and see if you have any recommendations.

We're spending one night in San Diego - hopefully near Balboa Park and then one or two nights near Santa Monica. And we'll have our own car so driving a little bit to get a better place/deal is okay.

Oh, and if you're going to be in those areas between the 16th and 21st of July, let me know :wink:

Mods, if this should be moved, feel free.

Thanks!

Have you ever used Priceline? I use it all the time when I visit So Cal. I was really nervous the first time I used it but now I swear by it. You can choose the star rating of the hotel, the location, and make your own offer. They gave me the Knott's Resort once for $40.00 and I've never paid more than $50 for a hotel near Disneyland. If a three star hotel is $100 a night, you can almost always get it for $50 or $60.

In San Diego I can highly recommend:

Comfort Inn & Suites2201 Hotel Circle South
San Diego CA 92108
619-881-6800
800-772-6329
San Diego Hotel Sea World | COMFORT INN AND SUITES San Diego Hotel Circle
(FREE BREAKFAST)

Vagabond Inn 625 Hotel Circle South
San Diego CA 92108
619-297-1691
800-571-2933
vagabond Inn

(Friends of mine recently stayed at the Vagabond, got a great deal which also included parking their car there for free.....they drove down from Covina, spent 2 nights (to visit me) then left for a Caribbean cruise. Vagabond offers airport transfer also). We had a nice meal in the hotel restaurant.

Both these properties at Hotel Circle offer good deals and you can trust them for cleanliness and value. Anything nearest to Balboa Park is gonna be really expensive or "iffy". Hotel Circle's a great location for tourists due to proximity. It's very near Balboa Park and only about a 20 min. drive to nearly any other attraction here. Anywhere along the beaches or downtown is expensive, even Holiday Inn. There is a new Ramada (I believe) that just opened by the airport off Harbor Drive but I'd hesitate to recommend unless I have firsthand experience about the property. :wink: Anything else ya need about San Diego just lemme know!

Have you ever used Priceline? I use it all the time when I visit So Cal. I was really nervous the first time I used it but now I swear by it. You can choose the star rating of the hotel, the location, and make your own offer. They gave me the Knott's Resort once for $40.00 and I've never paid more than $50 for a hotel near Disneyland. If a three star hotel is $100 a night, you can almost always get it for $50 or $60.

We used it years ago and got a gorgeous hotel in the gaslamp district but yeah, I'm still a little wary.

Thanks guys, for the recommendations. I appreciate it.

Well if you see a place that catches your eye you can always ask me, Carek or bonocomet (the true SoCalers lol).

Karen, thanks for the info. We've stayed at hotel circle before (Motel 6 I think :rolleyes: ) but I couldn't remember how close it was to the park. So I think we'll just go with that, since it's right off the freeway too.

Well if you see a place that catches your eye you can always ask me, Carek or bonocomet (the true SoCalers lol).

:up: Very true! :wave: Trev/neighbor!

Karen, thanks for the info. We've stayed at hotel circle before (Motel 6 I think :rolleyes: ) but I couldn't remember how close it was to the park. So I think we'll just go with that, since it's right off the freeway too.

Glad I could help, if I did. Motel 6 is still there too (opposite side of I-8 from Vagabond) but if it were my decision I wouldn't stay there, I'd go with Vagabond (closest to the freeway) or Comfort Inn. You're just a couple miles at best and minutes from Balboa Park, Gaslamp, downtown, beaches etc. Have a good trip!

Back
Top Bottom