Drinking coffee everyday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
There seems to be mixed opinion on this online so I'm directing this question to fellow Interlanders. Do you think drinking a cup of coffee every morning is in any way harmful to health, short or long term? Some people believe so and seem to have switched to alternatives like green tea. I have tried green tea and find it hard to consume on a daily basis cos it's too bland. I have also read that regular coffee drinking might actually prevent some diseases but it could also increase your blood pressure?? I don't know what to believe anymore.

I don't think one cup a day of anything is bad for you. Unless it's a cup of antifreeze or something.

Everything in moderation. :)

(and no, I'm not just speaking as an employee of a coffee powerhouse. :shifty: )

i don't think so zoots.. One or two cups can't really have that much of an effect on your health even if it's your entire life..

:hmm:now 5 cups a day well.. i can't say on that.. they could drop dead any minute..

There seems to be mixed opinion on this online so I'm directing this question to fellow Interlanders. Do you think drinking a cup of coffee every morning is in any way harmful to health, short or long term? Some people believe so and seem to have switched to alternatives like green tea. I have tried green tea and find it hard to consume on a daily basis cos it's too bland. I have also read that regular coffee drinking might actually prevent some diseases but it could also increase your blood pressure?? I don't know what to believe anymore.

One or two cups per day of fresh brewed coffee is loaded with antioxidants and apparently significantly reduces your chances of getting Parkinsons. Ditch the sugar and drink up. :up:

Green tea is good for you, too, but not as much fun.

Of course right now, I'm doing a cleanse and am in caffeine withdrawal with a screaming headache, so that's the downside. It is addictive.

Live for the moment, Zoots. Drink your coffee!

Caffeine_molecule.jpg

My drug of choice. :love:

You're not drinking coffee to excess (unlike yours truly :uhoh:.) I'm sure it won't be a problem. Green tea is highly caffeinated, so a lot of the adverse effects you could experience with coffee are likely to occur with green tea as well. Green tea does have greater anti-oxidant qualities, though, so it is slightly better than coffee in that respect.

I used to drink a lot of soda, and, about three years ago quit caffeine cold turkey. The first month was not easy at all. Headaches galore, falling asleep super early, etc. Eventually I adjusted, of course, and have not had a drop of it since, except for what you might take in with some chocolate or aspirin, etc.

yeah, i don't think one cup per day would do any harm. i never drink coffee though and only have a soda maybe once per month or two. so yeah, i try to avoid caffeine as much as possible.

Ditch the sugar and drink up. :up:

Ha! That is impossible for me. I need at least 1 tsp. of sugar for a 12 oz. cup of coffee. So recently I have switched to Sweet n Low or one of those artificial sweeteners.

offtopic: Khan, your sigs are hilarious! :laugh:

3-4 servings of coffee a day for me. I'll be sure to let you know if it kills me
sissies.gif

There seems to be mixed opinion on this online so I'm directing this question to fellow Interlanders. Do you think drinking a cup of coffee every morning is in any way harmful to health, short or long term?

First of all...

I'm not a doctor, I have no idea.

As Cori says, moderation is probably key. Everything in excess will likely do bad things to you, including coffee. Coffee does raise cortisol, the stress hormone, so some will say that's not a good thing. However, exercise does the same, as you're doing it. From what I've read and experienced, coffee, like exercise, can actually give you a both a mental and physical boost if you time it right. Extending those activities for hours at a time will likely drain you, and potentially harm you, instead of giving you the boost you're aiming for.

There are experts who claim coffee can actually help ward off certain diseases and conditions, such as Parkinson's and cancer. The jury is likely still out on that, however. What is clear, is that coffee is filled with antioxidants...the good things found in fruits and vegetables.

Switching to green tea is something I've made a stab at, without much success. I just prefer coffee, but sometimes I do go in tea-mode...usually when I'm fighting a cold, or reading on a rainy day. Health-wise, I think the evidence leads to green tea being the healthier choice. There are actually clinical studies that point to one of its key ingredients, ECGC, being a potent anti-tumour substance. As well, it contains theanine, which is a natural relaxant. Like coffee, green tea does contain caffeine, but at a much lower level (so my people tell me...different people than GibsonGirl's people. :wink: She could be right, however.) If my people are correct, you'd have to drink about 3 cups of green tea to get the same amount in a large coffee.

My advice: coffee can do wonders, in moderation. Taking 4 or 5 a day probably won't kill you, but it will likely numb the jump-start effect of 1 or 2...your body gets used to it. Also, if you're having trouble sleeping, I'd stop taking it after 5pm, or even earlier. Furthermore, Zoots, look for a good bean...like Arabica. Many of the big chains use the inferior Robusta. Inferior beans just let you down. They're also higher in caffeine. A good Arabica coffee can actually be found at McDonald's...at least that's the case here in Canada.

I used to drink a lot of soda, and, about three years ago quit caffeine cold turkey. The first month was not easy at all. Headaches galore, falling asleep super early, etc. Eventually I adjusted, of course, and have not had a drop of it since, except for what you might take in with some chocolate or aspirin, etc.

I gave up caffeine for lent one year, and I had read online that it would do this to me, but I didn't believe it. Oh how wrong I was :sad:

I gave up caffeine for lent one year, and I had read online that it would do this to me, but I didn't believe it. Oh how wrong I was :sad:

Did that once several years ago. I had nosebleeds for 3 days
cookiemonster.gif

But that was back in the day when I coupled coffee with a shitload of soda. Now I just stick to the good stuff :up:

:lol: It's okay. Just give it to me when we meet! :hi5:

When we meet for...coffee? :happy:

I could send some Newfoundland coffee beans. Naturally cold-pressed. :sad: Actually, I made that up. We don't really grow coffee here. We have great berries, though. Expect the unexpected. :wink:

Who the fuck are you?

straight_edge.jpg

I've recently given up my daily 1-3 cups of coffee because of the caffeine. (I did it before a few years ago but then got back on it) While I'm on it I crave it badly and think I need it, but it seems to build up and make me feel unhealthy after awhile. (Hard to explain but I just feel physically crappy after time when caffeine has built up in my system). Both times I quit I have felt almost 100% better immediately (well immediately after the week of the same symptoms others have mentioned, headaches for days and totally whacked sleeping patterns) Now I feel much better. :hyper: I dreaded doing it this last time, but afterwards it's so worth it, for me anyways.
However...
I still miss my Starbucks and will get a decaf maybe once a week or so just cuz I like it for the taste... I know there is still a little caffeine in it, but it's not as bad as I was doing before.

Back
Top Bottom