Don't Sound Stupid... Stop Saying this Word!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This should be on a billboard anywhere any teenagers happen to be. God, I HATE people saying 'like' when it's just not necessary.

And there's an Academy of Linguistic Awareness? That's brilliant.

Hilarious! I was speaking with my clinical psych advisor one day, and he was telling me that one of the most difficult things to get grad students to do is to drop the word "like" used in a colloquial way from their vocabularies. These people are otherwise intelligent and articulate, it's just a really bad verbal habit that some get into, and in careers where you depend on your verbal skills to communicate, it's a definite no-no.

I say "like" when I'm with my friends. I haz skillz. I switch registers. lol

All people need to stop using the word irregardless. It's not right. :angry: Oh, and stop using "first annual" too. :grumpy:

I say it a lot, I admit. I even type it often, since most of the time I type like I talk.

I have no idea how I picked it up, but holy cow, it is a hard habit to break. I hear it's worse than going off heroin cold turkey.

It's a nice fallback in conversation to not say anything for sure. By adding "like," it allows the speaker to merely allude to something as opposed to flat out say it, which means they can avoid standing behind something they're unsure about.

You know what's more stupid than saying "like" all the damn time? The Academy of Linguistic Awareness misspelled their own name on this poster.
That's because the poster is a hoax.

The "National Survey of Academic Affairs" cited as a reference at the lower right corner doesn't exist either.

we tend to say like at the end of what we say, not everyone and not all the time mind you!

but it would be along lines of

'Yea and I gave her a wee box, like!'

peeps I know say 'ya know?' a LOT after speaking.

its almost like, 'get me?' or in fact they are really giving closure because we do get them and them asking is almost a 'you got no choice' manner. so, get me folks?

I find it interesting. How as, people who come from english speaking countries, have different ways of wording. American slang is much different than what is used in the U.K. The word "fag" for example, in the U.K. means a cigarette. State side, it has a completely different meaning. A cruel and homophobic word, which is meant to demean gay men.

Because, I watch some British programing, on BBC America. I am understanding more of the differences.

I had a teacher in two consecutive semesters who used the word "basically" all the time. On average she used it about 180 times in 180 minutes. Yes, one basically per minute. :crack:

That's because the poster is a hoax.

The "National Survey of Academic Affairs" cited as a reference at the lower right corner doesn't exist either.

They misspelled "Academy" too as "Acadamy," and "Awareness" as "Awarness."

To say 'like' about 30 times in one sentence is a regional thing for me, not exclusively a young persons word :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom