Does anybody here knit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alison0313 said:
I started knitting last winter. http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTbranchingout.html[/url] I must have ripped out my work 1000 times, but learning how to do those tricky stitches was a huge help in reading other patterns.

I made that same scarf as a Christmas gift for someone using Noro Kuryon's self striping yarn and I love how it came out (you can't see the pattern in this picture, but its there):
branch.JPG

I'm currently working on this cable scarf. I'm enjoying making it, but the scarf itself is a bit thin for my liking.
scarff.JPG

The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, and its fantastic and sooooo soft.

:applaud: :applaud: lovely!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I must admit. This thread made me start knitting. I'd been wanting to learn for years, but was never able to get it right, but then this thread happened, and love2bmama posted a link to a wonderful site called knittinghelp.com, and I learned to knit :love:

but eventually I ended up with a small knitted square with only a few mistakes, and I felt accomplished:

samplesquare.jpg

And so then yesterday, I started on a scarf:

knittingyay.jpg

It's sooo soft, and I love it, and it could actually stand to be narrower, but it'll be nice having a big chunky scarf like that :) It's addicting though :crack:

I have high aspirations though. I can't wait to start using fancy yarn and self-striping yarn and double pointed needles! :hyper:

WTG, DOL!!!

fancy yarn!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

wenda said:
I LOVE to knit. I learned along with alison0313 at knittinghelp.com.
And before that I made these: :drool:

DSCN1386small.jpg

Keeps my hands warm in my freezing cold office.

Buying yarn is a sickness. I love, love, love going to the yarn store. I've spent more on yarn than anything else really. Well, except my car payments, lol.

:ohmy: :faint:

:drool: :drool: :bow:
SO niceeeeeeee!

I'm thnking of gaunlets. but not with aLL that :yikes: cable!!!!

and hardly any or NO decreases/increases EIHER! I'll be using ribbing around the wrist section..........

Last edited:
wenda said:

Thanks very much! I have never been and honestly I've never even heard of it. But now I wanna go!! :drool:

Don't know how far I'd travel for yarn though. Sounds dreamy though...sigh.

Found it! There are stitches conventions in California (Feb. 22 - 25), Illinois (August) and Baltimore (October), and Camps in North Carolina (April) and California (June). The website is knittinguniverse.com. Hope one of these is near you!

Thanks!! I'm in Canada so it'll be hard to get to them, lol.

Hopefully they come to Canada? We'll see, I guess.

I'm on my purple thinner one now. This one is for ME. I am excited. I am also working on a thin black one too.

And I learned how to cast off finally :lol:

purplescarf.jpg

If any of you are looking for a small project to use up your yarn, these Comfort Dolls for Africa are very easy to make and a really wonderful idea.
http://www.icross.ca/project.htm

Basically you send the dolls to ICROSS, they then use them as cushioning when they ship AIDS medicines and supplies and then give the dolls to children.

Pretty neat idea I found out about from Donna on the Zootopian Hawaiian board, here's a pic of some of her dolls:

100_0662.jpg

Those are so cute!!! And that is a fantastic idea with the packaging and then distributing. I have to much yarn I can't even tell you. It's sick, lol.

I crochet, and the rest of my family knits, so we have fun going to yarn stores together. I am currently into making baby toys (rattles, animal slippers, teddy bears) and afghans, though I have so much less time at school. I'm also working on a scrap afghan - little squares of 2 yards of scrap yarn that I'll eventually have to crochet togehter. I have about 300 and I need 1000! I just do them whenever I have a new color of scrap.

I really want to learn to knit, but I've got so many crochet projects, and I can do a lot with crocheting so it would be frustrating to start over.

Nightsong said:
If any of you are looking for a small project to use up your yarn, these Comfort Dolls for Africa are very easy to make and a really wonderful idea.
http://www.icross.ca/project.htm

Basically you send the dolls to ICROSS, they then use them as cushioning when they ship AIDS medicines and supplies and then give the dolls to children.

Pretty neat idea I found out about from Donna on the Zootopian Hawaiian board, here's a pic of some of her dolls:

100_0662.jpg

My SECOND thought was that this is a wonderful idea! My FIRST thought was "oh -- they ALL have Edge-beanies..":edge:

:bump:

I started my class this week. It took me almost the entire hour to get casting on down :mad:, but now I'm pretty good at it, and I'm working on the knit stitch. She taught us purling, too, but I was too busy sucking at casting on so I'll have to get to that soon.

I was sitting in bed last night before bed, just doing my stitches. This is going to be addicting. :drool: :lol:

:applaud: I finally learned how to cast on myself too.

I'll have to post my two new scarves I'm working on. I'm trying some new things :shifty:

So I am now working on this gray 'angel hair' scarf.. its really soft and furry and with the new needles I got its SO easy to knit because it just slides so easily on and off the needles.

grayfurscarf.jpg

This one I'm trying some new things, 2 different types of yarns.. one regular type and one 'boa' type. This one is going to be for my mom.

redscarf.jpg

ooooh, purrrrty! Ok, I really need to get off my keister and go buy some yarn tonite. I can sit and watch TV and do something useful at the same time for a change. :wink:

Major :bump:

I've gotten bitten by the knitting bug all over again now (in mid-summer, what's wrong with me? :lol: ), and am currently working on my first project on double pointed needles.

Armwarmers in a self-striping grey-black-white yarn called Zebra:

armwarmerprog1.jpg

armwarmerprog2.jpg

Knitting on double pointed needles is really not any harder than knitting on straight needles. Getting started is harder, but once you get going, it's exactly the same. And you don't have to turn your work :)

Knitting in the round is fun! No turning, just...well, turning it around and around and around lol.

Oh man, I put my knitting away and havent looked back :reject:
I probably dont know how anymore.

I used to knit.. ages ago :hmm: I have no clue anymore either.

My coworker knit me a pair of dish cloths recently :cute:

Oh it does. My mom (who knits quite a bit and quite well) tried to help me years ago and my dominating hand does not go in the same direction as hers. I asked someone else to teach me a couple months ago and she said its harder as left handers go the opposite way to the way it's supposed to be done. (Hope I'm making sense!)

Back
Top Bottom