do any of you have friends who don't have a lot of money? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:00 PM
guys, do any of you have friends who don't have a lot of money?

hey gang!

long time no speak. looking for a little advice from you lot, any would be greatly appreciated.

here's the scoop... i've got a tight-knit group of about 4-6 friends whom i spend the majority of my time with when i'm not at work or with my girlfriend. most of us have good paying jobs (especially me) and we like to go out to eat and hit up the city at least once or twice a month.

the only problem is gary. gary used to be really cool and fun to be around, but lately he's been pissing off the rest of us because he's always complaining that the places we go are "out of his price range".

that's full of shit, as far as i'm concerned. maybe he should have thought better before moving out of his parents house... like the rest of us. i mean, we're not thirty yet so time is on our side to have FUN NOW.

dude doesn't get it though. he's ALWAYS saying "oh, can't we go somewhere else to eat" or "i really don't think i can afford to spend 70 bucks on a concert ticket again this weekend".

it was HIS decision to move into his own flat, and it IS his decision to stay at his current job where he only makes like less than half what i do. it's not our fault most of us also get allowances from our parents either.

truth is, gary isn't that bad of a guy. i know what i'm saying makes him sound like such an asshole, but i'm just partly venting. i don't want money to become a factor in our friendship, so i'm looking for ideas to help bridge the gap. i even told him "hey, i'll give you some money if you pay it back in the future" and he wouldn't take it!

what would you do if you were me and my friends? tell him to move to a cheaper place? get an extra job? i dunno.

thanks all!

Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:00 PM
why are you associating with broke ass riff raff zoomy? maybe he can pick up some coin writing reviews or summat?

snowbunny00774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Um, I'd just not ask him to come I guess, if you know he can't afford it and he just gets upset about it. I know I (and my friends in town) could not afford that lifestyle either. Personally I'd rather have a place I liked and just hang out with friends than live in a shithole and spend all my money on consumables.
Liesje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Look on the bright side, Caisenema, when you start having to support your out of wedlock child, you'll be in Gary's price range and your other friends won't ever speak to you again!

Gary, if you're reading this, keep a spot on the couch for caisenema! He's gonna be moving in real soon.
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Jesus Online
Local Time: 11:00 AM
what the hell is your problem, zoom69? you owe gary, man. he saved your life once. buy him a fucking steak, you tightarse.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
love, blood, life
Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 01:00 AM
dude, back in 98 when me and a pal were in Dublin, she was all 'now if The Kitchen is like 20 in Im not goin!' so thank fuk it was like 8 quid for some DJ. but yea, she was a bit stingy (say that as stin-gee). thanks gawd she is an ex!

but I think it depends. if you have a lot of money and you are wise with it, then the odd occassion you may not mind getting something expensive, but no way would I pay like 60quid for a top thats crap material and not worth it in feel and image - just for the shop name!

But to answer you, at the minute, not really. but sometimes! depends on price of things!
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
I serve MacPhisto
Local Time: 08:00 AM
Isn't there some random homeless chick you could hook that bitch (Gary) up with? Get the social networking ball of mutual destitution rolling so-to-speak. That way, if he's suave enough to get in with her good graces, he can be dining on leftovers, taking washbasin baths, netting a steady revenue of coins, reading recycled newspapers, etc. at least half the month--thereby saving enough money to be able to hang with his bros the other half of the time.

Gary seriously needs to get his priorities straight.

You're an amazing pal to exhibit this level of care and concern for him. They don't make 'em like you anymore. Godspeed.
TripThruUreWires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
War Child
Why not have Gary sell his body to get the cash, or is he lacking in the looks dept. as well as money? Wow. Is this guy REALLY your friend? Come on. Space Moon it.
Mountain Dew Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
YouTube - friends s2e5(The One With Five Steaks and an Eggplant) part 1
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
love, blood, life
Ditch him. He'll just drag you down.
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 12:00 AM
I don't have any money. Can you I borrow a tenner?
Cactus Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:00 AM
I've always been the Gary of my friendship group Obviously, it's different when you're younger because it's not case of not having a job or whatever - it's more the social bracket your family falls into. But I understand what it feels like to be that bloke and I think you're being more than a little judgemental. And not understanding at all.

But hey, maybe you should just ditch him if that's how you feel. You can't exactly be the best of friends if you're quite ready to ditch him because of his financial situation
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 12:00 AM
I have had friends like that when I was a student. The thing is her parents earned much more than my mum. However, she thought that just because my mum paid for my mobile phone bill and that I didn't go spending my student loan on going out every night that I was loaded. Plus she smoked and I don't. I found it unnecessary that I should keep lending her money just so she can spend it on fags.

She never gave any of this money I lent her back, either. She don't speak to me now because I had the nerve to leave uni whereby she's got no one to scrounge off anymore.
Cactus Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 04:00 PM
you still get an allowance?

Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
She's the One
Local Time: 05:00 PM
He can wait in the car while you guys go and have fun. Then, on the way home, you can tell him about the fun you had. That way he won't feel left out.

martha is offline   Reply With Quote