Current Work-Outs - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #76
The Fly
 
Illumination70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Eastern, WA.
Posts: 271
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Right now, I'm currently training for a 12k run on May 2nd. The training consists of me running 3-3.5miles every morning.
__________________

__________________
Illumination70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 02:29 PM
^. Awesome. The farthest I can run is 2 miles.
__________________

__________________
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Does anyone know of a good workout for your stomach?
__________________
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramullen View Post
Does anyone know of a good workout for your stomach?
What are you looking for, exactly? More core strength? Flat tummy? Six-pack?

I hate sit-ups and they can be hard on the back, so I tend to use different ways to work that area. Besides pole, there are a few yoga poses that I really feel it with
__________________
kafrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #80
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Flat stomach. Mine is starting to grow.
__________________
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramullen View Post
Flat stomach. Mine is starting to grow.
Gotcha. I'm fairly new to yoga, so I don't know all the names of the poses, but one of my favorites(ie: omg, hurts so good) was one we did a couple weeks ago. You lie on your back, extend one leg out, hovering it about an inch off the ground, flex your foot so that it's flat, as though you're stepping on the back wall. At the same time, you bring your other leg up, straight as possible, and flex your foot as if you're stepping on the ceiling. You hold it for as long as you can, or as long as your yoga instructor makes you. If someone is making you hold it, guaranteed it will be burning and you'll be cursing at them under your breath, lol. You can add to the ab workout by lifting your head up while doing this. Hold is as long as possible, bring everything back down to neutral, take a moment to breathe, then switch legs.

Like I said, I do all kinds of different things, so I don't know if that would be enough on it's own to achieve a flat tummy, but it's certainly a good way to start.
__________________
kafrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 07:29 PM
I do sit ups every morning and I've recently strained some muscles so I have to be really careful. I do half an hour workout every morning including stretching, I go running when I have time and the weather is ok, I do a lot of walking, I take very staircase and I do some dancing. I've actually lost some pounds and I feel better now. I don't run out of breath as quickly as I did before. However, I still have to lose some pounds, my thighs still are too strong. It's hard, but it gets better with the warm weather, it's much easier to be physically active when it's warm outside.
__________________
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrun View Post
Gotcha. I'm fairly new to yoga, so I don't know all the names of the poses, but one of my favorites(ie: omg, hurts so good) was one we did a couple weeks ago. You lie on your back, extend one leg out, hovering it about an inch off the ground, flex your foot so that it's flat, as though you're stepping on the back wall. At the same time, you bring your other leg up, straight as possible, and flex your foot as if you're stepping on the ceiling. You hold it for as long as you can, or as long as your yoga instructor makes you. If someone is making you hold it, guaranteed it will be burning and you'll be cursing at them under your breath, lol. You can add to the ab workout by lifting your head up while doing this. Hold is as long as possible, bring everything back down to neutral, take a moment to breathe, then switch legs.

Like I said, I do all kinds of different things, so I don't know if that would be enough on it's own to achieve a flat tummy, but it's certainly a good way to start.
I'll try that. Thanks.
__________________
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
I Move in Mysterious Ways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,258
Local Time: 01:29 PM
No idea if this is helpful at all, but if you begin a comprehensive weight training routine, your abs will likely benefit from that quickly -- even if you aren't specifically targeting them. Many basic weight training movements use your stomach muscles automatically for stabilization.
__________________
I Move in Mysterious Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramullen View Post
I'll try that. Thanks.
I forgot to add: Your arms should also be hovering about an inch off the ground. You want your abs to be doing all the work.

Another variation we've done on that one in dance class is simply to lie on your back, bring your legs straight up towards the ceiling, and slooooooowly lower them towards the ground. Resist the urge the leg them drop as you get close to the floor. Your abs should be burning right about then.

If you can, you can progress that move to a shoulder stand:
YouTube - Core Flow Vinyasa Yoga : Vinyasa Yoga: Shoulder Stand

Excellent for core strength, and you can really work the abs by, again, slowly lowering your body down, vertebrae by vertebrae, until your feet are the last thing to touch the floor. For this one, be sure to warm up your neck by stretching, and use your hands on your lower back to stabilize you at first. Once you get stronger, you should be able to do it with no hands and eventually progress to elbow/forearm stands.
__________________
kafrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #86
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:29 PM
One thing to remember is that ab exercises don't necessarily flatten your stomach. In fact, you may feel like you look more "bloated" when you first start doing ab exercises, as the muscle will widen your waistline. It's one of those things that often discourages people when they first start working out, as they think they actually look "fatter" when they work out. Cardio and diet mixed with any sort of general ab exercise is still going to be your best bet, as the cardio will burn the fat, and the ab exercises will tighten the area up.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Excellent point. I have a friend who often works out along with me, but she's got a bit of extra weight, so you can't see her abs until she flexes. They're certainly there, though. Her downfall is that she hates cardio. She has a stationary bike and she's always complaining about how boring it is. I tell her to do things that are more fun and less structured, but ahh, she's stubborn
__________________
kafrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:29 PM
A question for the fitness gurus here.

If your pulse rate goes up to 160 - 170 when running (not even that fast) is that, like, really bad?
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict
 
redkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: racing to the waterside
Posts: 19,620
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
A question for the fitness gurus here.

If your pulse rate goes up to 160 - 170 when running (not even that fast) is that, like, really bad?
I'm no guru, but that is typical for me. I used to regularly wear a heart rate monitor to gauge. Now I seem to be able to keep myself around 170. At 174 I immediately know I need to back off, but I've seen my readings go much higher. I think it's genetic, my mother has a high resting pulse and low blood pressure just like I do.

We need extra water to compensate. You may need more of a cool down than other people too.

I seem to be very healthy just quirky. You might want to track yourself and ask a trainer or doctor to be safe.
__________________
redkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redkat View Post
I'm no guru, but that is typical for me. I used to regularly wear a heart rate monitor to gauge. Now I seem to be able to keep myself around 170. At 174 I immediately know I need to back off, but I've seen my readings go much higher. I think it's genetic, my mother has a high resting pulse and low blood pressure just like I do.

We need extra water to compensate. You may need more of a cool down than other people too.

I seem to be very healthy just quirky. You might want to track yourself and ask a trainer or doctor to be safe.
Thanks for this.

I do usually wear a heart rate monitor when exercising. My resting pulse rate is not that high, probably around average for a non-athlete of my age, it's just it seems to go way up when exercising vigorously. When cycling it is fine but if I am cycling up a steep hill for example it will go to 169 or so. Actually I did have a preliminary consultation with a personal trainer and he didn't seem particularly concerned. Point taken on the water, hydration is v. important.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Moment of Randooomdadoooooooooom shari schultz Lemonade Stand Archive 1032 10-24-2009 10:30 PM
Privacy at Work Justin24 Free Your Mind Archive 10 12-04-2006 09:00 PM
I hate work preciousstone Zoo Confessionals 6 08-13-2006 06:29 AM
The State of Work in America; Or, Are You Nuts Enough to Work Here? pax Free Your Mind Archive 15 07-24-2004 12:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com