Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabene View Post
Was thinking about purchasing the Wii Fit. Haven't done any research on it yet so I really don't know anything about it only from the tv commercials.
Is it worth buying?
We bought a Wii Fit when they first came out. Find it to be a lot of fun but like Lies said it's more recreational. If you work hard enough you can get your heart rate up some but not a lot. They have Wii Fit Plus out now that has more exercises. I haven't tried that yet.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosBaby12 View Post
We bought a Wii Fit when they first came out. Find it to be a lot of fun but like Lies said it's more recreational. If you work hard enough you can get your heart rate up some but not a lot. They have Wii Fit Plus out now that has more exercises. I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks for the info! Will look into the Wii Fit plus too.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabene View Post
Thanks for the info! Will look into the Wii Fit plus too.
You are very welcome
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

I agree with what others have said about Wii Fit. That said, it's still pretty decent if you're not in the mood for a really "intense" work out. Any sort of "game" that gets you off of the couch and doing something physically deserves some sort of props.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Does anyone here have Skechers Shape Ups? They're so expensive ($100) and a bit strange looking-do they actually make any sort of difference when you walk for exercise?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:43 AM
If you're looking for a home practice get a few yoga dvd's and sort of discover your preferences. There are so many types and most have something to offer.

I wish I could recommend a dvd, I haven't found any that I really like very much. I read books and take pieces from studios I've been to. I'm back to Bikram right now, but I'm not sure how you'd adapt it to home. If money is an issue there are often low or no cost ways to take classes. All the studios I go to offer a work for yoga type thing. If you have time to work the front desk you get free classes.

for good old cardio I love a spin class.

and Carlos I swear you have a tapeworm
Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #22
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I agree with what others have said about Wii Fit. That said, it's still pretty decent if you're not in the mood for a really "intense" work out. Any sort of "game" that gets you off of the couch and doing something physically deserves some sort of props.
Agreed. Even WiiSports is good for that.

People keep comparing the Wii to 'real' sports, and keep forgetting that it's just a game. But compared to regular gaming it's so much better for your health! You excercise way more than just your thumbs.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I train my muscles, my spine and my joints daily, before I have breakfast. I also do Yoga and Qi Gong. I start with little excercises with my fingers and eyes and go to moving the whole body. It helps me a lot, since I've been suffering from a lot of problems with muscles and my cervical spine. Also, I train my fingers when I'm sitting on my computer or while I'm reading to keep them flexible since I'm having what we call a "mouse hand", problems with the hands (mainly the right hand) due to working too much on the computer. I have this little smiley ball that I squeeze with both hands, it helps and keeps the fingers busy and the hands flexible. I don't go to the gym and I don't do any "real" sports because I simply don't have the time, but I dance and I try to walk a lot. I just try to move a lot and spend less time sitting around. Also, drinking at least 2-3 litres a day helps me with feeling fitter and not gaining weight. The more I eat, the less "flexible" I feel, physically, and I really hate that. I'm not into any form of extreme sport, so that's all and it's enough for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:13 AM
I've been ridiculously lazy lately because of the heat, but now that we're in a milder patch I'll be going back to the gym a few times each week. I prioritise treadmill/rowing machine but I need to start working on strength again. Also, I'm not drinking soft drinks for a month. Tends to make a big difference.

I'm also keen on getting back into rock climbing, I haven't done it in a few years but it's pretty much my favourite thing in the world, and 2010 is the future, so I will climb it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #25
Refugee

I sit on the couch and flip through the channels.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkat View Post

for good old cardio I love a spin class.

and Carlos I swear you have a tapeworm
I did spin for awhile but I get kinda bored.

Right now I'm doing mostly cardio: run 3 or 4 x/wk, swim 2x/week and bike 2 or 3x/wk. I should be lifing too
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I in my early to mid twenties I was pretty fit, even though I smoked 20 a day minimum I used to cycle around 40kms a week and walk/jog another 30km or so, so I'm trying to gradually get back there.

Now I do around 25 pushups most nights, use weights at home and try and run/walk for around 4km three or four nights a week (though most of it's walking).

It doesn't help that I still smoke and drink.

I was looking for a decent freestanding punchbag (I live in an apartment, so can't really hang it off the ceiling), but was informed that the cheap ones are crap and the good ones very expensive, so I was thinking of maybe trying a boxing club, but I don't know if boxing clubs have defillibrators.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

^ try pole-dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrun View Post
*cough*pole*cough*

Going to start hot yoga this month, too. Will keep you posted.
Amazing. Total hot yoga convert.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I was looking for a decent freestanding punchbag (I live in an apartment, so can't really hang it off the ceiling), but was informed that the cheap ones are crap and the good ones very expensive, so I was thinking of maybe trying a boxing club, but I don't know if boxing clubs have defillibrators.
Have you been trained before, or is this your first time boxing? If the latter, I recommend joining a club. A trainer there can help show you the proper technique, then you can do your own stuff at home when you know how to avoid injury.

However, if you've done it in the past, then go ahead and get the good one, knock that sucka out, and take pics.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Now I do around 25 pushups most nights

It doesn't help that I still smoke and drink.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only exercise I do these days...if I remember I will do somewhere between 30 and 40 push ups before bed. They're quick and easy and strangely fun and I've always been pretty good at them.

And same here with the second part. I don't live a very healthy lifestyle in that regard, the smoking and drinking. And I probably eat too much pizza. But I think I'm still in decent shape.

A bunch of my friends have begun running over the last year or so. Doesn't really appeal to me as a form of exercise, I don't know.

Basketball and tennis are two sports that I absolutely love to play and they're both good workouts, but I don't get out and play them nearly as much as I did when I was younger. Oh well.