Closure of @U2 forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooh, fanny means vagina in NZ. Fanny is my new Interference cuss word.

May I too add my appreciation to Cori and others like her who are kind and empathetic on here. It makes this place a better place.

However, to me, without the 'vocal parasite' and other foul-mouthed opinionated fannys on here, Interference would be so much duller and less representative. I love the foul-mouthed fannys.

I said "FUCK" there once and got a warning
I said "FUCK" again - casually, not even as an insult - and got banned. For life.

That's a U2 forum for children run by children.

They banned political discussions! When the fuck did that happen? :lol:

It's an unbelievably stupid rule to ban talk of politics on a U2 forum.

Its an interesting argument which already takes place to some extent. The use of the N word is prevalent by some African Americans amongst themselves, and its perceived as OK by them but completely verboten if a white dude (or woman, cause they do it too) were to use it, even in the same context.

because they are re-appropriating it and disarming it for use amongst themselves. a non-black person can never use it because of the different meaning it carries (slaver, subjugation, centuries of legislated and cultural discrimination). The K word carries the weight of genocide, exile, pogroms, millennia of violence and persecution...the C word carries none of the weight of those words. Which isn't to say that women haven't been treated unfairly because they obviously have been and are, but there isn't a single word tied to that subjugation the same way as there is for blacks, Jews, etc

I was briefly a member of @U2 but the moderation on it was pathetic to be honest - giving me a one week ban for saying the band should stop chasing the beige preferences of middle america because it was 'deeply insulting to middle Americans'.

I often sneek a peek a couple of times a week to see what they're discussing but I have seen recent discussions that make me think 'yeah - probably does deserve shutting down' not least the thread started where one user claimed this week that U2 should come out and make a statement expressing sorrow with regards to the horrific Harvey Weinstein allegations because a song they recorded was used in one of his films. I don't know what sort of obsessive/uber critical mind feels compelled to link U2 into this particular story but I'd suggest they take a step back from the band and realise they aren't that important nor culpable or capable of preventing all the ills in the world.

To be honest, for that thread alone the @U2 forum deserves to close down. The terrible moderation on that site has probably only fed such ridicule which is a shame because I'm sure it was an excellent forum in it's own right at one point in time. A mess entirely of the mods own making.

Good riddance? Probably.

Last edited:
I was briefly a member of @U2 but the moderation on it was pathetic to be honest - giving me a one week ban for saying the band should stop chasing the beige preferences of middle america

Ohhhhh, you naughty naughty fanny!

But seriously. You got banned for an informed and reasonable opinion? That's actually ridiculous.

Ohhhhh, you naughty naughty fanny!

But seriously. You got banned for an informed and reasonable opinion? That's actually ridiculous.

Clearly one of the mods had a Trumpite streak in them - basically thrown the book at me for being 'anti American' because I dared to offer such a view was ridiculous but after reading a lot of the posts on it I can't say I'm surprised. There's a very 'little America' (is that a thing? Like 'little Englander' in the UK?) feel to some corners of that site - evangelic and very sensitive.

Last edited:
We should just create one word that offends everyone.

I understand different words are used differently in different cultures, but at the end of the day there’s something to be said about someone who is respectable to their surroundings enough to modify certain behaviors. Once you’ve been told the volume of your music is bothering someone, you have choices at that point; politely turn it down, move to a different area of the park, use headphones, or be an asshole and turn it up.

Last edited:
Yes, people from other cultures using words differently is all well and good. But if it's considered a very offensive word in another culture and people ask "Hey, maybe don't do that," it's a total asshole move to just keep doing it just because you think that's a dumb opinion.

Thank you.

And for the poster that said if you get offended don't use the internet, FYI, it wasn't just garden variety bad language that you'd hear everyday on the street, the person was repeatedly asked to stop, and it was EXTREMELY offensive.

I think a lot of things said about Interference are exaggerated, but a few bad experiences can certainly turn someone off.

I saw a reference to the "Please don't say 'cunt' / omg who cares if I say 'cunt' get over it" thread, and honestly, that would have turned me off as well if I'd popped over here to see what was going on.

This place can certainly be hard to get into as a newbie. I urge everyone to be nice to new posters and just, you know, follow the golden rule of Don't Be an Asshole.

When I worked and studied in Glasgow I was often called cunt but in friendly terms. Received a text message once by a friend asking 'you about ya cunt?'

Maybe the only place in the world where that word is used in a casual/friendly manner. Being called a 'dick' in Glasgow is probably far worse and carries greater threat!

Please understand some of us might be "uptight" about it because if we are unlucky enough to be hearing it in person, it's being yelled to us by a guy whose catcalling or advances we've ignored, and now we are just thinking we should get the fuck out of there.

Use the word, don't use the word, whatever. But don't get all high and mighty about people having real life experiences with the connotation in which it is often heard here.

:applaud:

I have a feeling a lot of opinions on this issue depend a whole lot on whether you are male or female. I can swear with the best of them, but there is certain language that just doesn't belong anywhere on the internet. (Yeah, I know, I'm naive).

And for the poster that said if you get offended don't use the internet, FYI, it wasn't just garden variety bad language that you'd hear everyday on the street, the person was repeatedly asked to stop, and it was EXTREMELY offensive.

Don't want to keep relitigating this - Cori has made a good point, made it well, and I and the other Aussie/Kiwis all seem to have respected that.
But please could y'all stop being so ethnocentric - the word in question is NOT particularly offensive here in NZ. It IS garden variety bad language. It IS heard everyday on the street.

None of that changes Cori's (and others) informed argument/request. But please can we all accept that the USA interpretation of that particular word bears no resemblance to its interpretation elsewhere.

I'm not trying to be a fanny - just sayin

When I worked and studied in Glasgow I was often called cunt but in friendly terms. Received a text message once by a friend asking 'you about ya cunt?'

Maybe the only place in the world where that word is used in a casual/friendly manner. Being called a 'dick' in Glasgow is probably far worse and carries greater threat!

:applaud:

I have a feeling a lot of opinions on this issue depend a whole lot on whether you are male or female. I can swear with the best of them, but there is certain language that just doesn't belong anywhere on the internet. (Yeah, I know, I'm naive).

Yeah nah. It isn't gender here in Dunedin (which is a Scottish colony really - so there is that...). My wife uses that word all the time. And she's a highly educated business woman. It's got no gender connotations here - and like ChurchBay says, calling someone a dick is probably worse.

Ok ok, no more posts on this from me! Welcome, atU2ers etc etc

I was briefly a member of @U2 but the moderation on it was pathetic to be honest - giving me a one week ban for saying the band should stop chasing the beige preferences of middle america because it was 'deeply insulting to middle Americans'.

I often sneek a peek a couple of times a week to see what they're discussing but I have seen recent discussions that make me think 'yeah - probably does deserve shutting down' not least the thread started where one user claimed this week that U2 should come out and make a statement expressing sorrow with regards to the horrific Harvey Weinstein allegations because a song they recorded was used in one of his films. I don't know what sort of obsessive/uber critical mind feels compelled to link U2 into this particular story but I'd suggest they take a step back from the band and realise they aren't that important nor culpable or capable of preventing all the ills in the world.

To be honest, for that thread alone the @U2 forum deserves to close down. The terrible moderation on that site has probably only fed such ridicule which is a shame because I'm sure it was an excellent forum in it's own right at one point in time. A mess entirely of the mods own making.

Good riddance? Probably.

As a midwesterner, I find it deeply offensive that you think we're beige;) I think we're quite more colorful and interesting than that.

However, it was ridiculous to be banned for that.

Oooh, fanny means vagina in NZ. Fanny is my new Interference cuss word.

May I too add my appreciation to Cori and others like her who are kind and empathetic on here. It makes this place a better place.

However, to me, without the 'vocal parasite' and other foul-mouthed opinionated fannys on here, Interference would be so much duller and less representative. I love the foul-mouthed fannys.

FW5a.jpg

Welcome, former @U2ers!

The first time I heard THAT WORD bandied about casually was, no lie, on some older U2 fan/bootleg site. I don't remember the name of it, but it was pre-torrents (?) and was a site where you could download bootlegs through FTP sites or something? It feels like eons ago.

I just remember that was the first place I really started chatting with U2 people, and one of the site runners was in Scotland, and I was all WTF IS THIS when he threw down the word.

The cultural difference was quickly explained to me. Heh.

I live in the U.S. and I honestly don't recall ever even hearing of that word at all until a discussion of its offensiveness was mentioned on some TV show I saw once. Even after that, though, it's just not a word that's ever come up in my daily life in general. The only time I ever seem to come across it nowadays is in online conversation (not directed at me, though).

So because of my limited exposure to the word, it doesn't bother me on the same level it does other people...but at the same time, I echo Cori's sentiments on the use of the word, and totally get where it would bother some out there.

As a midwesterner, I find it deeply offensive that you think we're beige;) I think we're quite more colorful and interesting than that.

However, it was ridiculous to be banned for that.

Fellow Midwesterner/Plains resident (we kind of seem to be lumped into both categories here), and seconding this entire post :up:.

Also echoing the hi to any @U2ers joining the party :wave:! Make yourselves at home and hope you have fun here :).

One last thing on The Word - I'm not trying to censor anyone, people can say what they want - what do you think we are, @U2 forums? :wink: (They may get called out for using it, and that's the way it goes.)

I just wanted people to understand why there's such a strong reaction to it, it's not just us being prissy prudes.

Should probably clarify that I use middle America in the cultural/political respect ie the simple (some may say lazy) depiction of family value oriented side of America with safe, conservative tastes. I'm not casting a net over vast swathes of your country and insulting the places you call home. By no means (although try explaining that to the moronic mods on @U2)

No offence intended.

Words only have the power we give them. When you let someone offend you with their insulting words you give that person a kind of power over you. And someone who wants to insult you is the last person you should give dominion over your head space.

That doesn't mean people should be running around calling each c*nts, or any other nasty names, we can't have a nice society that way. Just saying maybe we shouldn't take such offence when they do. So if someone from OZ or NZ or the UK uses the C word in a way that’s natural for them and you’re offended by it, you can tell them so and ask them to stop. Then absent moderation, what they do is up to them. If they persist, then it’s up to you whether to continue to be offended.

That said, while I'm all for the vigorous debates and heated arguments we have around here (I've participated in my share) I can't say I have much use for personal insults. I think the worst thing I ever said to someone was when I called BVS (or maybe it was Headache) a fucking idiot for espousing a convoluted argument about how I was a troll sympathiser (and to be fair, I doubt I'm capable of offending BVS). So I definitely distinguish between personally insulting someone in a way meant to degrade them, which in most cases isn't cool, with saying something someone finds offensive.

I remember once I had an avatar here that mashed up a pose Bono did with Hitler doing his Nazi salute. That managed to cause a bit of a meltdown among some here who took offense and Sicy gently asked me to consider removing it. I dunno. Given that Hitler was one of the worst mass murders in history but at the same time endlessly used for comic material, I sorta thought it was funny (to say nothing of Bono's penchant for cozying up to human rights abusers). But offensive the avatar was, so down it came.

Come to think of it, maybe I should have tried to see how that avatar would have gone down @U2.

offended.jpg

Last edited:
Should probably clarify that I use middle America in the cultural/political respect ie the simple (some may say lazy) depiction of family value oriented side of America with safe, conservative tastes. I'm not casting a net over vast swathes of your country and insulting the places you call home. By no means (although try explaining that to the moronic mods on @U2)

No offence intended.

Oh, yeah, totally got that. No worries :).

(Honestly, I'll freely admit I probably personally fit the definition of "beige", so...:p.)

Nick, are you directing that "oh, just choose not to be offended" at my posts from earlier today?

No of course not, I wasn't thinking of anything you wrote at all, and to be honest, I'm not even sure to which post you're referring.

I respect you write here, and even more for achieving the seemingly impossible feat of being the one Interferencer that everyone seems to like. :)

Ha ha, oh dear. Hope I don't fuck it up and end up the most hated. ;-)

I had edited my post to pull a "never mind," but glad I got a little huffy in my head over nothing.

Words only have the power we give them. When you let someone offend you with their insulting words you give that person a kind of power over you. And someone who wants to insult you is the last person you should give dominion over your head space.

Pretty easy to say for someone who has never had any lifetime experience that can be summed up with a single word like; ******, fag, kike, etc.

But it’s interesting that you preach about how words only have the power we give them, yet you’re one of the first to fly off the handle when someone doesn’t like what you say, and even had to bring someone else into the discussion and talk about how they hurt you saying you sympathized with a troll.

Your post reaked of someone who knows all too well that words matter.

We analyze lyrics, we cherish books, we fall in love, we fight over, we study, we tattoo on our skin... words.

Words matter. Anyone who tells you differently is a fool.

Pretty easy to say for someone who has never had any lifetime experience that can be summed up with a single word like; ******, fag, kike, etc.

But it’s interesting that you preach about how words only have the power we give them, yet you’re one of the first to fly off the handle when someone doesn’t like what you say, and even had to bring someone else into the discussion and talk about how they hurt you saying you sympathized with a troll.

Your post reaked of someone who knows all too well that words matter.

We analyze lyrics, we cherish books, we fall in love, we fight over, we study, we tattoo on our skin... words.

Words matter. Anyone who tells you differently is a fool.

Oh wow. You are a fucking idiot!

Oh, and I never said you "hurt" me BVS. That would be impossible. And no one said "words don't matter". So you suffer from reading comp issues as well as your above described predicament. So which is it? You either didn't I understand what I wrote, or you deliberately chose to lie about it (which would make a you a liar as well...and a humourless one at that).

No offense intended. :)

Last edited:
Oh wow. You are a fucking idiot!

Oh, and I never said you "hurt" me BVS. That would be impossible. And no one said "words don't matter". So you do suffer from reading comp issues as well as your above described predicament.

No offense intended.

Always your goto right Nick; if someone disagrees with me they don’t understand. It’s almost as old as reminding everyone of your AB remaster days.

Didn’t say I hurt you, it could have been me or Headache, remember? Reading comprehension ftw.

Back
Top Bottom