Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post

This made me happy!

Old 10-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Welcome, former @U2ers!

The first time I heard THAT WORD bandied about casually was, no lie, on some older U2 fan/bootleg site. I don't remember the name of it, but it was pre-torrents (?) and was a site where you could download bootlegs through FTP sites or something? It feels like eons ago.

I just remember that was the first place I really started chatting with U2 people, and one of the site runners was in Scotland, and I was all WTF IS THIS when he threw down the word.

The cultural difference was quickly explained to me. Heh.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:34 PM
I live in the U.S. and I honestly don't recall ever even hearing of that word at all until a discussion of its offensiveness was mentioned on some TV show I saw once. Even after that, though, it's just not a word that's ever come up in my daily life in general. The only time I ever seem to come across it nowadays is in online conversation (not directed at me, though).

So because of my limited exposure to the word, it doesn't bother me on the same level it does other people...but at the same time, I echo Cori's sentiments on the use of the word, and totally get where it would bother some out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphorn View Post
As a midwesterner, I find it deeply offensive that you think we're beige I think we're quite more colorful and interesting than that.

However, it was ridiculous to be banned for that.
Fellow Midwesterner/Plains resident (we kind of seem to be lumped into both categories here), and seconding this entire post .

Also echoing the hi to any @U2ers joining the party ! Make yourselves at home and hope you have fun here .
Old 10-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

One last thing on The Word - I'm not trying to censor anyone, people can say what they want - what do you think we are, @U2 forums? (They may get called out for using it, and that's the way it goes.)

I just wanted people to understand why there's such a strong reaction to it, it's not just us being prissy prudes.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #110
The Fly

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Should probably clarify that I use middle America in the cultural/political respect ie the simple (some may say lazy) depiction of family value oriented side of America with safe, conservative tastes. I'm not casting a net over vast swathes of your country and insulting the places you call home. By no means (although try explaining that to the moronic mods on @U2)

No offence intended.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Words only have the power we give them. When you let someone offend you with their insulting words you give that person a kind of power over you. And someone who wants to insult you is the last person you should give dominion over your head space.

That doesn't mean people should be running around calling each c*nts, or any other nasty names, we can't have a nice society that way. Just saying maybe we shouldn't take such offence when they do. So if someone from OZ or NZ or the UK uses the C word in a way that’s natural for them and you’re offended by it, you can tell them so and ask them to stop. Then absent moderation, what they do is up to them. If they persist, then it’s up to you whether to continue to be offended.

That said, while I'm all for the vigorous debates and heated arguments we have around here (I've participated in my share) I can't say I have much use for personal insults. I think the worst thing I ever said to someone was when I called BVS (or maybe it was Headache) a fucking idiot for espousing a convoluted argument about how I was a troll sympathiser (and to be fair, I doubt I'm capable of offending BVS). So I definitely distinguish between personally insulting someone in a way meant to degrade them, which in most cases isn't cool, with saying something someone finds offensive.

I remember once I had an avatar here that mashed up a pose Bono did with Hitler doing his Nazi salute. That managed to cause a bit of a meltdown among some here who took offense and Sicy gently asked me to consider removing it. I dunno. Given that Hitler was one of the worst mass murders in history but at the same time endlessly used for comic material, I sorta thought it was funny (to say nothing of Bono's penchant for cozying up to human rights abusers). But offensive the avatar was, so down it came.

Come to think of it, maybe I should have tried to see how that avatar would have gone down @U2.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchBay View Post
Should probably clarify that I use middle America in the cultural/political respect ie the simple (some may say lazy) depiction of family value oriented side of America with safe, conservative tastes. I'm not casting a net over vast swathes of your country and insulting the places you call home. By no means (although try explaining that to the moronic mods on @U2)

No offence intended.
Oh, yeah, totally got that. No worries .

(Honestly, I'll freely admit I probably personally fit the definition of "beige", so....)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

(Ehhhh never mind.)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Nick, are you directing that "oh, just choose not to be offended" at my posts from earlier today?
No of course not, I wasn't thinking of anything you wrote at all, and to be honest, I'm not even sure to which post you're referring.

I respect you write here, and even more for achieving the seemingly impossible feat of being the one Interferencer that everyone seems to like.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha ha, oh dear. Hope I don't fuck it up and end up the most hated. ;-)

I had edited my post to pull a "never mind," but glad I got a little huffy in my head over nothing.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #116
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Words only have the power we give them. When you let someone offend you with their insulting words you give that person a kind of power over you. And someone who wants to insult you is the last person you should give dominion over your head space.

Pretty easy to say for someone who has never had any lifetime experience that can be summed up with a single word like; nigger, fag, kike, etc.

But it’s interesting that you preach about how words only have the power we give them, yet you’re one of the first to fly off the handle when someone doesn’t like what you say, and even had to bring someone else into the discussion and talk about how they hurt you saying you sympathized with a troll.

Your post reaked of someone who knows all too well that words matter.

We analyze lyrics, we cherish books, we fall in love, we fight over, we study, we tattoo on our skin... words.

Words matter. Anyone who tells you differently is a fool.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #117
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
The better question... did you understand what either of them were saying?
I did!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Pretty easy to say for someone who has never had any lifetime experience that can be summed up with a single word like; nigger, fag, kike, etc.

But it’s interesting that you preach about how words only have the power we give them, yet you’re one of the first to fly off the handle when someone doesn’t like what you say, and even had to bring someone else into the discussion and talk about how they hurt you saying you sympathized with a troll.

Your post reaked of someone who knows all too well that words matter.

We analyze lyrics, we cherish books, we fall in love, we fight over, we study, we tattoo on our skin... words.

Words matter. Anyone who tells you differently is a fool.
Oh wow. You are a fucking idiot!

Oh, and I never said you "hurt" me BVS. That would be impossible. And no one said "words don't matter". So you suffer from reading comp issues as well as your above described predicament. So which is it? You either didn't I understand what I wrote, or you deliberately chose to lie about it (which would make a you a liar as well...and a humourless one at that).

No offense intended.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #119
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Does race take precedence over other prejudices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The point is that they are all words used to denigrate, not that one is "worse" than the other.
Good points.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Oh wow. You are a fucking idiot!

Oh, and I never said you "hurt" me BVS. That would be impossible. And no one said "words don't matter". So you do suffer from reading comp issues as well as your above described predicament.

No offense intended.

Always your goto right Nick; if someone disagrees with me they don’t understand. It’s almost as old as reminding everyone of your AB remaster days.

Didn’t say I hurt you, it could have been me or Headache, remember? Reading comprehension ftw.