Closure of @U2 forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And of course context matters, but try and understand that it's not just some silly "ooh, that's a bad word reaction."

Please understand some of us might be "uptight" about it because if we are unlucky enough to be hearing it in person, it's being yelled to us by a guy whose catcalling or advances we've ignored, and now we are just thinking we should get the fuck out of there.

Use the word, don't use the word, whatever. But don't get all high and mighty about people having real life experiences with the connotation in which it is often heard here.

Would people be defending their casual use of any other offensive word but that one?

Say a really offensive racial word that men yell at Jews or African-Americans?

I mean, come on. Didn't everyone get the memo that it's totally trendy this week to listen to women about their experiences with misogyny/sexual assault/harrassment?

You can go back to casually dismissing us next week.

Would people be defending their casual use of any other offensive word but that one?

Say a really offensive racial word that men yell at Jews or African-Americans?

Woah, woah, this is some crazy false equivalence.

Cori's point, on the other hand, I take.

On the plus side, I probably wouldn't understand their accents well enough to know they said it. I'd just be there smiling and nodding.

I don't think so.

If Australians used "******" or "kyke" like they use "cunt", then came here and defended it as commonplace, then got all huffy when American blacks, Jews, or women called them out on it, would it be the same thing?

Its an interesting argument which already takes place to some extent. The use of the N word is prevalent by some African Americans amongst themselves, and its perceived as OK by them but completely verboten if a white dude (or woman, cause they do it too) were to use it, even in the same context.

I don't think so.

If Australians used "******" or "kyke" like they use "cunt", then came here and defended it as commonplace, then got all huffy when American blacks, Jews, or women called them out on it, would it be the same thing?

There is a world of difference between a swear word and a racial slur.

Does race take precedence over other prejudices?

Oh for fuck's sake. I'm not going to dignify this nonsense suggesting that Australians, because they view one word as less offensive than Americans, will be apologists for racism or sexism or any other discrimination.

You can continue this particular discussion without me.

The point is that they are all words used to denigrate, not that one is "worse" than the other.

The point is that they are all words used to denigrate, not that one is "worse" than the other.

This.

I've used that word before, when I was much younger, when I didn't realize just quite how offensive it was. I don't anymore out of respect. I don't see why it's such a hard concept to grasp.

Last edited:
Whether or not you find it ridiculous, it is still an asshole move to make it a point to repeatedly use a word you know someone finds offensive after they’ve told you they find it offensive.

Among the PI Aripuanã in Rondônia, "a**hole" is considered a mortal insult, and unless you're a venerable elder (i.e. over 35), using the term is punishable by death by poisonous dart.

Last edited:
We welcome any posters from the PI Aripuanã of Rondônia, and they are welcome to tell us to "knock it off" if we use a word that has a totally different meaning to them.

Well, it's no just Americans, even strapping NJ based Scottish manly men like me find the almost middle syllable of Scunthorpe pretty flipping loathesome most of the time, especially when there are far, far, far better insults like say... - fud, bawbag, shitegbbon, fanny, dobber, titbag and wankpuffin to throw out there instead.... :sexywink:

Och aye the noo.

Back
Top Bottom