Closure of @U2 forum - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I get annoyed when it's just a bunch of hyperbolic negative statements, and it gets old real fast, but whatever.

But a dog being castrated? As in, a dog starts singing catchy, innocuous pop songs while their balls are being cut off? I'd like to meet that dog, actually.
Such a happy-go-lucky pup.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:52 PM
Quote:
I'd like to meet that dog, actually.

Anyway, badly behaved posters is a really lame reason to shut down a forum. The mods there seem either weirdly intolerant or unable to do their "job." This place has plenty of nasty spats and unruly behaviour, but in general it all seems to shake out without over-moderation.

This is just mods trying to hard to micromanage and when things don't go the way they like they close down the playground.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:

But a dog being castrated? As in, a dog starts singing catchy, innocuous pop songs while their balls are being cut off? I'd like to meet that dog, actually.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 12:52 PM
It's all well and good that some dickishness is tolerated but some folks just repeatedly turn it up to 11.

There's really no need. Further, as I've protested in the past, new posters should be cut some slack so they don't immediately feel unwelcome.

That said, it's still the best U2 forum online and easily the most engaging.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Agreed on all three counts.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #36
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post

Anyway, badly behaved posters is a really lame reason to shut down a forum. The mods there seem either weirdly intolerant or unable to do their "job." This place has plenty of nasty spats and unruly behaviour, but in general it all seems to shake out without over-moderation.

This is just mods trying to hard to micromanage and when things don't go the way they like they close down the playground.
I think the dude running the place had this vision of building a 'church of U2' or something, and when the parishioners started arguing with each other and being 'mean', he decided the church needed to be burned down, or at least temporarily shuttered. It does seem like an over the top response but can't say I am shocked by it.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphorn View Post
Yes, to your comments in paragraph 2 above. (Sorry, I'm not going to repeat that word). That really turned me off, because the person who posted that word was called out on it and then proceeded to announce that he was going to repeat that word because it doesn't have a bad meaning in Ireland or wherever he was from, and then he did just that--over and over and over. I can handle a lot of language but, being a woman, I draw the line at that word. It was unnecessary.
Mate, if you don't want to encounter people from other countries who might use words a bit differently to you, I recommend not using the Internet in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
It's all well and good that some dickishness is tolerated but some folks just repeatedly turn it up to 11.

There's really no need. Further, as I've protested in the past, new posters should be cut some slack so they don't immediately feel unwelcome.

That said, it's still the best U2 forum online and easily the most engaging.
I reckon this is exaggerated. If somebody shows up and posts something dumb, then of course they're going to cop it from other posters. If somebody's been here for a decade and posts something dumb, then they're going to cop it too, and probably harsher because there's enough shared history to really push the buttons.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Yes, people from other cultures using words differently is all well and good. But if it's considered a very offensive word in another culture and people ask "Hey, maybe don't do that," it's a total asshole move to just keep doing it just because you think that's a dumb opinion.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 AM
I joined the @U2 forum when it was still pretty new, but they rebooted the whole thing at some point, so I don't think I'm technically still a member. There was a time when I was going to Zootopia, Interference, and the @U2 forum, and then I decided that was way too many forums to keep track of. I cut it back to here and Zootopia, and then Zootopia became Subscribers Only, so that left Interference. I still don't go to Zootopia, even though I have a U2.com subscription, probably because I'd rather stick with a forum I'm familiar with. Better the nutcases you know than the ones you don't!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
...it seemed to be over run by older fans that would literally shit on everything new that U2 did.
That's funny, because that's what I've always thought about Interference!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:48 PM   #41
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Yes, people from other cultures using words differently is all well and good. But if it's considered a very offensive word in another culture and people ask "Hey, maybe don't do that," it's a total asshole move to just keep doing it just because you think that's a dumb opinion.
Exactly.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

i think taking grievous offense to something as insignificant as a four letter word's presence on a screen is ridiculous no matter what cultural context anyone wants to put on it.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i think taking grievous offense to something as insignificant as a four letter word's presence on a screen is ridiculous no matter what cultural context anyone wants to put on it.

I agree with this, but I also feel as though there's absolutely no reason to go and instigate it if you know someone's going to be annoyed or upset by it.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:09 AM   #44
Refugee

Stranded (@U2 Forum Mix)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Yeah, this.

That said, I'm ridiculous in many ways, so each to their own, and I've not posted that word since that thread.

But for the record, not writing that word can be tough. I mean, how does one speak eloquently without a broad range of sophisticated cuss words... 😉

AtU2 was pretty much my internet wet dream 20ish years ago. But just never found the forums as diverse as here.
Still, weird that cuss words can shut down a U2 forum but rape-boasting can get you elected president... world's a weird place...