canada is different from america... how, exactly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As an American all I really have to go on is a few road trips through Ontario and Quebec, but based on that I'd say Canada seems different in having A) consistently less commercial overdevelopment and B) a subtle but noticeable sense of still having one foot in Europe culturally in a way the US doesn't. But I've only seen those two provinces, so I'm not sure I'd apply those generalizations everywhere. And of course both countries are huge and very diverse, so in both cases, if you live within a couple hours of the border, chances are there are places in your own country that'd feel "more different" to you than a brief excursion across the border would.

But it's not like it's a bad thing to feel a strong degree of cultural kinship with your neighbor, is it?

I'll have to try this poutine stuff sometime! After seeing GibsonGirl sing it's praises for years and years, I just have to try it! :wink: even though the thought of soggy fries is not very inviting. :no:

no, chips are not supposed to be crispy! crisps are crispy, chips are fat and potatoey. that's another thing, americans, french fries are criminal. cook your chips in the oven! then drown them in lovely gravy made with no animal products, no salt, no fat.
:drool:

... not sure about this cheese biz. cheese really only belongs on wedges with sweet, sweet chili sauce.
:drool:

Then show me where.

:wink:

churchsign.jpg

Some differences are cultural, some differences are historical. How are Austrians that different from Germans? Flemish from Dutch? French from Walloons? Australians from New Zealanders? The historical context has created a certain divide between Canada and the US, which has resulted in differences in character and culture. But there are still strong similarities, of course.

Yet it really surprises me that after 6 pages, no one has mentioned the French-English duality. The coexistence (I use this term loosely) of two different cultures has shaped the country, and still does. Canadian politicians must speak French if they have national ambitions. About 20-25% of the population speaks and lives in French. One could argue that this says more about the difference between French Canadians and Americans, yet I believe that it has an impact on the country as a whole.

Canada is a wide country, and this duality is not clear everywhere. I was born and raised in Québec, and work in the Ottawa region. Here, you have a mix of English and French working together, in either language (...). It's quite interesting to see, and it definitely gives a specific flavour to the country. But it definitely is not the case in, say, Toronto or Calgary.

This country is indeed very difficult to define. For outsiders, both countries can indeed seem very similar. But saying that we are the same as the U.S. is, in my opinion, quite inaccurate.

I'd like to mention the French-English duality. :wink:

The French element is certainly a unique feature, as it’s ingrained in our constitution. I’ve actually heard people say that both Quebec and Newfoundland are the two definitively distinct regions in the country. I’m sure that people in Nova Scotia or British Columbia might put up a fight about that, but when you still have people signing petitions against the construction of a KFC on a downtown street for heritage reasons, you know that you’re in a somewhat separate head-space.

I think that Zoomerang’s question actually hits on the most distinguishing Canadian feature of them all: the wondering and analyzing about just what it means to be Canadian. This is both a blessing and a curse. It’s good to question, but also good to just get on with things and do them. Except for a few ill-advised war maneuvers, I think that latter point has been an American strength.

A couple of other differences: violent crime has been historically lower in Canada; the actual ‘fear of crime’ itself is probably a great separator, as well. How about the whole ‘culture of celebrity’ thing? I think that’s much more profound in the US than it is here in Canada.

Some do. I think that's what makes poutine so spectacular, flavour aside -- the dual sogginess and crunchiness of the fries.

That's just an awesome description. :lol: In the end, perhaps poutine really is the ultimate Canadian symbol--full of beautiful contrasts and contradictions. (He said, from his very foggy, and soggy Canadian city.)

what's the difference? They're both potatoes!

:shrug:

:wink:
:lol: like zoots said, fries need to be crispy. i'm the person who always orders fries extra crispy. plus, it's just too much between the gravy and cheese curds. it's drowning in it, i like tons of ketchup with my fries but i like dipping rather than pouring liquids over my fries.

You guys, I tried poutine yesterday. Our team at work was taken out for lunch by the consulting firm we work closely with, and on the menu was, sure enough, poutine. I had to try it (someone else in the group ordered it as well).

The fries were perfect, there wasn't too much gravy, and the cheese were tiny pieces of cheese curds fresh from the cheese shop just two stores away in the Pike Place Market.

I was expecting more of a pile of fries slathered in thick gravy and some cheese in there, and was pleasantly surprised by what I got. I couldn't eat a lot of it, but I gave it a thumbs up.

I suppose you will all tell me it wasn't "real" poutine. ;)

I should read the whole thread before posting this, because I'm sure someone already has, but:

At least one major difference has to be gun-related crimes and deaths. Tons of Canadians own guns, but how often do you read about gun-related murders. Here in the US, you cannot watch the news in a major metropolitan area without hearing about gunshot wounds.

Then again, the US is the world-wide leader in gun related crimes and deaths, so every nation under the sun can claim this as a difference.

Wow, on this very page AOD mentions crime. See? Canadians are smart, Americans are useless. :reject:

Here's a picture of the deliciousness:

poutine.jpg

Could use a wee bit more gravy-slathering, but you're certainly on the right track! :up:

Wow, on this very page AOD mentions crime. See? Canadians are smart, Americans are useless. :reject:

:lol: Self-criticism, self-deprecation...poutine! We're slowly converting and corrupting you with our Canadian ways.

Back
Top Bottom