canada is different from america... how, exactly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard somewhere that they don't have Hickory Sticks in the US. Is that true? Those are sooo good :drool:

I heard somewhere that they don't have Hickory Sticks in the US. Is that true? Those are sooo good :drool:
I guess not. What's a hickory stick? Google is just giving me stuff about golf clubs :confused:

I swear I've never meet anyone who says such a thing.

Do Aussies say "throw a shrimp on the barbie" constantly or is that akin to this?
Some probably do it ironically. I have a Canadian friend that says "aboot" and the like, to be funny.

My first time in Vancouver, my then-boyfriend and I asked a local on the street for directions, and he had such a thick accent, I could barely understand him. It was like he had the stereotypical Canadian accent, times ten.

I've heard some Canadians say "oot" and "aboot," but have heard just as many who don't. Then again, those Minnesotans and northern Wisconsinites sure talk funny, even without the "oot" and "aboot."

this article pretty much confirms what i already knew.

pathetic. what the fuck are canadians learning in school other than the french were victims of the english?

globeandmail.com: D'oh Canada!

This kind of emphasizes my earlier point:

Washington, D.C. -- According to a Gallup/Harris poll released Monday, a full 37 percent of American citizens are incapable of identifying their home country on a map of the United States.

Of the 1,400 residents surveyed, the most common incorrect responses placed the more than 230-year-old territory in the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans (19 percent), the space where Mexico would appear were it in fact included on the map (10 percent), and inside the word "America" written just above the northernmost states (6 percent).

This kind of emphasizes my earlier point:
Did they just survey 1400 really dense individuals? I can see where some less intelligent people might get confused if shown a map of JUST the United States and then being asked to point to the U.S. You'd think it would be obvious, but if they weren't sure of the shape of the country, and the individual states weren't outlined/marked, they might get confused and think maybe it was a trick question, and the big shape in the middle isn't the U.S., because that would be too obvious.

I hear tale of Americans not being able to find America on a map, but that just seems so unfeasible to me. If they've ever looked at a weather forecast, then they'd know the general shape of the country.

That said, certainly not all Americans are completely clueless about the world around them. The idiots just get pointed out a lot more than us informed people.

Street meat.:up:

Yes, the TO street meat is far superior to what I like to call "dirty water hot dogs" - i.e. those things served in NYC.

However, NYC has all the other street food that is sooooo good.

According to Michael Moore, in Canada, they leave their doors unlocked. In the US, we're a door locking folk. I guess we have to. Sadly, home invasions have become all the rage here in the States. :sad:

I guess not. What's a hickory stick? Google is just giving me stuff about golf clubs :confused:

c7wrfp2m_small.jpg

:drool:

Sorry, I know plenty of people in Gatineau and none of them leave their doors unlocked.

Maybe you're referring to Abitibi. :shrug:

Yeah I'm no longer in Gatineau and I'd never leave my door unlocked over there. But over here it's not a problem :)

According to Michael Moore, in Canada, they leave their doors unlocked. In the US, we're a door locking folk. I guess we have to. Sadly, home invasions have become all the rage here in the States. :sad:

We also have almost as many registered firearms as people (and god knows how many unregistered) and yet we're not killing each other at gas stations and what not.....well at least outside the GTA :sad:

I swear I've never meet anyone who says such a thing.

I know! I've never heard that either...

AngelorDevil - I hear you about the ketchup; correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Pineapple Crush really popular in Nfld (I *think* you're from there :reject: ); my colleague for my Secret Santa is from Newfoundland and he's mentionned wanting that a few times...I can't find it anywhere!

I know! I've never heard that either...

AngelorDevil - I hear you about the ketchup; correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Pineapple Crush really popular in Nfld (I *think* you're from there :reject: ); my colleague for my Secret Santa is from Newfoundland and he's mentionned wanting that a few times...I can't find it anywhere!

You are correct--I am from there! I've definitely seen that drink, though I don't drink it myself. Are you asking me to pick you up a can? :wink:

pineapple crush? as in orange crush, etc? i've seen that one time here, in wal-mart of all places. they're the only place i've seen here that sells any flavour of the crush sodas.

You are correct--I am from there! I've definitely seen that drink, though I don't drink it myself. Are you asking me to pick you up a can? :wink:

Yeah, can you fedex it to me in time for my Christmas party on Tuesday?
:wink:

I googled it and came across a facebook page for Newfoundlanders and their beloved pineapple crush!!
I just learned there's a store near my house called "The Newfie store" so surely they must stock it...

pineapple crush? as in orange crush, etc? i've seen that one time here, in wal-mart of all places. they're the only place i've seen here that sells any flavour of the crush sodas.

We need photographic evidence! :D

Yeah, can you fedex it to me in time for my Christmas party on Tuesday?
:wink:

I googled it and came across a facebook page for Newfoundlanders and their beloved pineapple crush!!
I just learned there's a store near my house called "The Newfie store" so surely they must stock it...

That’s great news! Hopefully that place carries it. Meeting that Tuesday deadline would be a stretch for me. ;)

I actually had no idea that Pineapple Crush was as beloved here as it appears to be! There must be pockets of Newfoundlanders who crave the stuff--maybe it becomes a community thing, and spreads. Historically, there’s been a slight cultural divide here between people living in the outports and urban dwellers, like me.

I did a random survey last night, because I was so interested in finding out if I was the only one oblivious to the provincial craving for this drink. The storekeeper next to my place had never heard of the story—even though she sells it. I was buying a newspaper, when I started in with, “Hey, did you know…?” I think she thought I was on drugs, or slightly crazy. Next up was the taxi driver, on the way to a Christmas party. After we’d discussed his resume, and various jobs he’s had around the world, I popped the same question (I felt much more comfortable asking this time). “I didn’t know that,” he responded. "It’s great stuff, hey? Just comes in tins though, right? Not bottles.”

Those were my profound discussions of the evening...

* As a token of my appreciation for the new U2 album announcement--and a way to strengthen the bond between our two countries--I will happily send a tin of Pineapple Crush to every Interferencer residing in Canada and the continental US. (Note: responses must be received over the next five minutes: 5:30 p.m. EST.)

Back
Top Bottom