Calvin & Hobbes Appreciation Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Cheers to the smartest, funniest comic stip ever created!

imgres

imgres

imgres

imgres

imgres

calvin-n-hobbes.gif

Calvin_n_Hobbes.gif

calvin_hobbes.jpg

So many greats---can't post them all!!! The last one still gets me every time I read it...:sad:

I love the revival of the snowmen strips every winter...One day, when I have a lot of time, snow and help, I'd love to recreate some of them!!:bow:

Sports.gif

Hitbycar.gif

HotWater.jpg

Best cartoon ever... right up there w/Bloom County! :love: I'll have to see if I can't find one of my favorite C&H's ever online. If not, I'll just scan the newspaper clipping I've kept all these years!! :ohmy:

:drool: The Far Side.... got a couple old clippings of those too! Gimme' a sec & I'll get them scanned.

snowbunny00774 said:
... cartoons haven't been the same since the Far Side and C&H were retired :(

:up:

So true, they were classic. I don't think anything's come close at all in recent years to matching such creativity and originality.

I adored Calvin & Hobbes when I was younger. My aunt gave me one of those thick treasury books when I was a kid, and I was instantly hooked with the magic and wit. Along with just being damn funny, there was also a lot of heart, and very pointed social commentary.

I also loved the fact that there were so many winter scenes...being from a place where it's winter a lot, I identified strongly with that. :wink:

0836218833.jpg

:heart:

Oooookay... here's the C&H that I clipped years ago. 1992, according to the date on the clipping.
Ms.jpg

And on a quick sidebar, just a few of my many favorite Far Side panels!
FarSidepolarbears.jpg

FarSideMoses.jpg

FarSidehospitals.jpg

FarSideegg.jpg

:love: Calvin & Hobbes is by far my favourite! My brother and I used to read these all the time when we were growing up. We gave him the Complete collection for his birthday. I hope to get that some day. :)

I have every single Calvin and Hobbes collection kicking around at home. My favourite comic strip by far! If I had any with me at the moment, I'd scan in some of my favourites. One that makes me laugh every time... Calvin is banging nails into the coffee table with a hammer. His mom comes running into the room, screaming something like "CALVIN WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THE COFFEE TABLE?!" So he looks up and says "is that some kind of trick question?" :lol: Classic! Or the one where he buys a record made by a satanic metal band that glorifies violence and demoralises women. Hobbes says something like "your mother will go into conniptions when she sees that lying around" to which Calvin responds "well, I certainly didn't buy it for the music" and tosses the record into the rubbish bin, keeping the album sleeve. :lol:

Oh, and...

SPACEMAN SPIFF!

^ :lol:

Some of my faves:

- Calvin transmogrifies into a mini-Hobbes. He comes out and looks so adorable and small and says something like, "Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, too" or something. (this one didn't link up well)

- Calvin's chewing bubble gum & it pops all over his face and he exclaims: "I've blown my face off!"

- Calvin sits in the toilet & flushes, sending him into a twirlie....then he walks past his mom and she says, "Did you take your bath?" to which Calvin replies, "Yup!"

:lol:

Utoo said:

- Calvin's chewing bubble gum & it pops all over his face and he exclaims: "I've blown my face off!"

- Calvin sits in the toilet & flushes, sending him into a twirlie....then he walks past his mom and she says, "Did you take your bath?" to which Calvin replies, "Yup!"

Calvin & Hobbes are GREAT. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! My all time favorite ones are the snowmen series BluRmGrl posted. I laugh so hard at those I cry. Every time. :lmao: :lmao:

Utoo said:
^ :lol:

Some of my faves:

- Calvin transmogrifies into a mini-Hobbes. He comes out and looks so adorable and small and says something like, "Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, too" or something. (this one didn't link up well)

That one was great! :lol: Calvin as a mini-Hobbes is so cute. Gosh, that particular strip brings back memories. I was still in primary school when I first saw that one!

Calvin's dad is EXACTLY like my own and in the worst way possible. Getting a stomach bug? It builds character. Failing an exam? It builds character.

Am I the only one who tried playing Calvinball as a kid? :reject:

best comic strip ever.

my very first screen name/email address was calvhobs something or other. in fact, i still use it now (too lazy to change it. i've had it since i was 15).

Popmartijn said:
I appreciate! :heart:

I still want to buy The Complete Collection, if I can still find it in the shops. It's expensive, but probably sooooo worth it! :drool:

Amazon has it for $99. Expensive, but less so than the original price of $150.

My mother-in-law got it for us last Christmas. We thought she was crazy--since we already own all of the other books that came out---but I'm glad we have it anyway. :D

GibsonGirl said:

Nope! We played it too! In our version it got quite violent, so my mom kiboshed us ever playing it again. :lol:

Some more of my favourites: the snowmen series, the Transmogrifier, Hampster Huey and the Gooey Kablooey. :lol:

Don't forget G.R.O.S.S. led by Supreme Dictator Calvin and President and First Tiger Hobbes!

Calvin & Hobbes contains so much hidden wisdom too. Awesome comic strip!!

Far Side and Bloom County were my favourites too.

GibsonGirl said:

Nope! :drool:

How about the Horrendous Space Kablooie, Calvin's much jazzier version of The Big Bang...I love that.

In the collection my aunt gave me, she wrote a little note inside, saying how I reminded her of Calvin--probably because I was always draping blankets over chairs and end tables, pretending to be in a space capsule that was travelling off somewhere.

Spaceman Spiff...my hero! :love:

spiff42.jpg

Back
Top Bottom