Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #781
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:43 AM
I almost rented it when I was looking for a good scary book a couple months ago, and then I put it back because it just kinda sounded a little, uh...dull. But maybe it just wasn't a good description.

I'm reading Raw Shark Texts right now, which I didn't like at first but am now very into, with some trepidations cause it's kinda getting too strange again

Old 07-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #782
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:43 AM
I'm not sure a book description has ever sounded interesting in the history of books. Gotta read a chapter or something to ever get a sense if it's worthwhile.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #783
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 AM
If I've mentioned this book before, forgive me, but one of the better books I've read the last year or two is Philipp Meyer's The Son.

Check it the fuck out.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #784
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
The Son

Lance?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #785
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Norwegian Wood felt different than the other books of his that I've read. Was pretty straight forward, not much in the way of surrealism, etc. I'm not sure what to read next when it comes to his books. I've read the Windup-Bird Chronicle and A Wild Sheep Chase, both of which I liked a lot. I usually go in order with authors but that's already fucked, so, who knows.
Agreed on that. Definitely not as many flights of fancy.

The one I just finished, Dance Dance Dance, is a loose sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase, with some of the same settings and characters (and the same narrator). So if you liked that one I imagine you'll enjoy it to some extent.

My favorite is Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which was also the first of his I read. Definitely more sci-fi than the others, so you should def check that out. The only other one I've read that you haven't is Kafka On The Shore. I remember liking it, but my memory keeps mixing it up with David Mitchell's Murakami homage Number9Dream so I can't tell you much more about it.

Quote:
Laz, this makes it all the more inexcusable that you have not read one fucking Gene Wolfe book yet. Unless you did, hated it and neglected to mock me for it.

Read the Book of the New Sun already. FFS.
It's on my shelf, on my "to-read" list. Haven't given up.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #786
Blue Crack Addict

I've only read three so far, but Sputnik Sweetheart is far and away my favorite Murakami so far. And Norwegian Wood is pretty damn great. The former seems to take a lot of inspiration from Antonioni, particularly L'Avventura. Sublime, really.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 AM   #787
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Blood Meridian is a must. Incredible book.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #788
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I've only read three so far, but Sputnik Sweetheart is far and away my favorite Murakami so far.
That's also my favorite Murakami. I've said this before but I'm a big fan of his. I also bought The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles today, along with Mitchell's The Bone Clocks and To Kill A Mockingbird.

At the moment I'm reading Infinite Jest. I didn't expect it to be such a difficult book. There are some passages, mainly the ones the use some sort of slang, that are a struggle. But it's definitely worth it for some of the other funny and even touching parts. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud at a book but I did reading those movie descriptions. I do feel that some jokes might go over my head as I definitely don't understand each word or even sentence.

As you might notice this thread is my main source of books.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #789
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
I don't think I've ever laughed out loud at a book but I did reading those movie descriptions.
That's definitely the funniest part, right after that would be the student commentators of the Eschaton games.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #790
Blue Crack Addict

Eschaton reigns supreme
Old 07-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #791
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Infinite Jest is definitely the funniest book I've ever read. The filmography and the Eschaton are some of the more famous highlights, but wait 'til you get to the Eric Clipperton chapter.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #792
Blue Crack Addict

So I haven't picked up a book in a few weeks after reading Gone Girl. Holy cow, what a crazy ass book.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #793
Blue Crack Distributor

I liked Gillian Flynn's previous two books much more than Gone Girl. I mean, it was very readable and fun, but not THAT great.

In other news, that Southern Reach trilogy (Jeff Vandermeer) I mentioned on the other page turned out to be disappointing. Boo.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:06 AM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Finished Underworld.

Like most big novels, this one was all over the place. Unfortunately, unlike many of the "Great American Novels" that often get mentioned next to this book, such as Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest, it never got that cohesive to say that the sum was greater than its parts.

Its structure reminded me to an extent to 2666 (in terms of splitting it into distinct parts signifying a certain period of time and degrading indifference of society) - but what made Bolano's masterpiece so brilliant is that the brutally honest and haunting themes of the novel were permeating to every single page, regardless of which character one was following or whether the plot took place in war-ravaged Crimea in 1941 or in the north of Mexico at the end of the 20th century.

This was not necessarily the case with Underworld. I always had the feeling that just as it started to take momentum, it slipped, stopped and ruined the pace with a new chapter (or a new part) that involved unsympathetic characters spewing cheesy lines - I feel that DeLillo especially has problems with conveying natural male/female dialogue.

On the other hand, DeLillo's beautifully written and carefully designed prose cannot be ignored. I thought that the epilogue - and not the famously celebrated prologue - was the highlight of the book, ending it on a sombre and visually fascinating note, filled with powerful symbolism, and it gave certain characters an extra dimension that wasn't there before. There were some hilarious parts over the course of the book, but it was never as consistently funny as White Noise was. DeLillo did well in describing and depicting the paranoia and the chaos of the Cold War America and made compelling parallels to its neurotic and obsessive characters. It's only a shame that the person that was closest to a main character only started to get interesting 700 pages in.

I'd recommend it, but with certain reservations.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #795
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Finished Underworld.

Like most big novels, this one was all over the place. Unfortunately, unlike many of the "Great American Novels" that often get mentioned next to this book, such as Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest, it never got that cohesive to say that the sum was greater than its parts.

I read it back when it came out, but this pretty much sums it up.

Not one of my favorites of DDL, despite having a lot of great stuff in it.