Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:35 AM
When I was a kid I used to be scared off by books that were over 300 pages because I thought they would take me forever to read. The lengthier novels that I read at the time had taken me forever to read, but then I read some books over that particular page count that I actually liked, and realized that the number of pages has far less to do with the amount of time I'll spend reading it. Much more a factor is how much I like the book, and how easy it is to get into the story/hard it is to put down. Given that a large portion of the novels I've read lately are part of trilogies, I'm not so much intimidated by 1000 page books when I know I'm coming up on that number after the series is over. The only real downside in my mind now is small, thick paperbacks that are hard to hold open without wrecking the spine and beating them up some.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:35 AM
I'm trying to think of 1,000+ page novels I've read or tried to read. I don't remember The Witching Hour being that long, but I loved that sucker.

I tried reading a historical novel about Sacagajewa because I remember my mom reading it when I was little, and barely got 100 pages into it. That was a long sucker.

Infinite Jest continues to languish on my bookshelf and on my Kindle.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I'm trying to think of 1,000+ page novels I've read or tried to read. I don't remember The Witching Hour being that long, but I loved that sucker.

I tried reading a historical novel about Sacagajewa because I remember my mom reading it when I was little, and barely got 100 pages into it. That was a long sucker.

Infinite Jest continues to languish on my bookshelf and on my Kindle.
The Stand or It? Not sure if they're 1,000 but they're long and were widely read.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, duh. Yes, I read both and loved The Stand.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Oh, duh. Yes, I read both and loved The Stand.
And you read The Passage which was 800-900 pages, depending on whether it was hardcover or paperback.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

just dropping in

Hopefully in a few months my life will be more balanced and can try reading more books again.... mostly i read my "touchstone" books.

Infinite Jest, cori? NOT laughting at you at all, it was sort of I "recognized" it once you said it ....as one of those around 1,000 page books.

I first thought of Gravity's Rainbow.

huh...one or 2 more are scincillating at the edge of my conciousness.... probably from the years I was buying the Sunday NY Times and reading The Book Review section (among other things)!

I suppose running through the Trilogy of Lord Of the Rings at 12 yrs doesn't count.

On a different note i think i might have mentioned him before SF author David Brin's>
The Uplift Universe books: 1 stand alone (earlier in the "history"); 2 that are sort of stand alone but occur in same time period and events reference and sometimes effect each other in the 2 books; and the "latest" (as in he plans to return to that universe...) 3 are a definate trilogy.

The worlds/Civilization and universe he creates is mind-bending and time-spanning. Serious science (he's a physisist) fascinating sapients with full personalities, same for his humans, lots of humur too. The Uplift concept is no space-faring species gets that way alone. Some other race has "uplifted" them: patrons and clients.

Except no one knows who uplifted us Earth/Terrans. We insist we did it ourselves. We escappe being clients because we have our own clients: the neo-dolphns annd neo-chimps.

I highly reccomend it!
We are for the next piece of the puzzle!

PS:
Googling (images) for what i think were the original Covers paperback releases for SK's "Dark Tower" series.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Aha! Mystery solved! Unexpectedly.

Found several opf the (SK's) The Dark Tower series covers doneby Michael Whelan-- triggered by talk of The Stand. A great cover illo by an artist who knows enough about the book to either create an overview piece
or a well-realized major event from the book that will stay with me to I did recognize several covers when i saw them. BUT....

...there was one i could not find at all. Dawned on me that maaaaybe it was because it was th same artist, different author!
That is... the 4(?) book series by Tad William's called Otherland.

Three of the covers i remembered as part of being in that series were there; and the one I thought was with TDT was with this series instead.

The book is OL: Moutain of Black Glass.
Now I see why I mixed them up! Pretty much way in the the background with only the sky behind it was a tall dark "Tower". That was cool initself
though it was not the same outline (relooking more closely) of the other tower in TDT illos MW did.

It's everything in front of the tower that forms this amazing cover!

Anyway if anyone has read either The Dark Tower Series, or the Otherland series please post your experience!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

You know what I haven't read that's +1000 pages? War and Peace. I've red parts of it in English, parts of it in Russian, but never have I or will I ever read that entire book. I hate Tolstoy.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
And you read The Passage which was 800-900 pages, depending on whether it was hardcover or paperback.
I've read lots of looooong books, but not so many 1,000 loooooooooooooong books.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Well I think I was mostly talking about loooooong books, didn't have to necessarily be 1,000 pages......oh, and I do agree that schlepping huge books around sucks but that's the price of literacy, capitalism, freedom and justice.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
I warned you about that speech. Glad you finished, though.

Your prize is that randians will embrace you now, whereas Rand haters will now despise you. Enjoy.
Hooray!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Speaking of long books, I caught a reference to a novel that piqued my interest, so I got a used copy off Amazon for $5 or so. It's called 2666 and the author is Chilean writer Roberto Bolaño. Apparently he has a fairly well-known work called The Savage Detectives but I'm not familiar with it.

He was very ill when finishing this masterwork and died before it was technically "completed" in terms of polishing and rewrites. It's divided into five parts (which he had intended to be published separately) and runs close to 900 pages.

I'm excited to plow through this one. Will report back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2666_(novel)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Speaking of long books, I caught a reference to a novel that piqued my interest, so I got a used copy off Amazon for $5 or so. It's called 2666 and the author is Chilean writer Roberto Bolaño. Apparently he has a fairly well-known work called The Savage Detectives but I'm not familiar with it.

He was very ill when finishing this masterwork and died before it was technically "completed" in terms of polishing and rewrites. It's divided into five parts (which he had intended to be published separately) and runs close to 900 pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2666_(novel)
Looks interesting.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Which 1000 page books have you read and found unworthy? And if the answer is "none" then this is a silly conversation. To each their own of course, but yeah, this just makes zero sense to me.
I wanted to read Haruki Murakami's IQ84 but a few I know who read it didn't think it was that great, just OK. However, I'm still intrigued by it and not because its very long. I may read it.

Cori - the copy of The Witching Hour that I read was a pocket size, so that's why it was 1000 pages. If it wasn't, it had to be very close to it.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Bolaño is fantástico! I read The Savage Detectives (LOVED) and some of his essays, and have been staring at 2666 on my bookshelf for nearly three years waiting for a chunk of time when I can focus on it. Maybe later this summer.