Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #526
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:45 AM
I'm looking forward to The Dead. I haven't read Portrait of the Artist, but it focuses on Dedalus who is probably my least favourite character in Ulysses. He's a fully fledged character, but his antics can get very tiresome. The Shakespeare chapter is easily my least favourite one.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #527
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #528
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Nearly finished with Jacob De Zoet, now. Took me a little longer than I'd've liked, with starting new jobs and what not. Anyways, it's fantastic. I don't know if I'd say I like it more than Cloud Atlas, but I will say that Mitchell is outstanding at writing scenes and moments that absolutely wrap you up in everything that's happening in the book and sucking you right in.

He did the same thing with the last letter of Frobisher's, but I think the way the last chapter of the 2nd part of De Zoet ends may have been some of the best writing I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

Probably going to finish the book tonight, if not tomorrow. Then I'll try to get back to House of Leaves, if I can find it in all of these boxes.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

Checked out the only three volumes of The Sandman they had at the library: Preludes and Nocturnes, A Game Of You, and Endless Nights.

Also checked out King's Pet Sematary and a book about the 70s UK punk scene that had a cool looking cover.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #530
Blue Crack Distributor

So...I finished De Zoet, and right up until the last chapter or so, I was going to give it a 4.5/5.0, but then I just...did not care for the way it ended...at all. I finished it right before I went to bed and I've been digesting it all day and the more I think about it, the more miserable I get.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #531
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Checked out the only three volumes of The Sandman they had at the library: Preludes and Nocturnes, A Game Of You, and Endless Nights.
My favorite Sandman collection is A Season Of Mists. Definitely track that one down.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 AM   #532
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Yep, pretty convinced Laz is my little brother in disguise.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #533
Blue Crack Addict

Have you guys discussed Lovecraft? Haven't read any of his shit but just had a friend tell me that some of his stories are pretty damned scary.

On a horror fiction kick lately.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #534
Blue Crack Distributor

I have a collection of his work, but have only read two stories. Both were very unsettling, though, fwiw.

Cthulhu
Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

I've bitten off more than I can chew, I think.

Currently I have the aforementioned Sandman volumes, the A Song Of Ice And Fire books that I bought, and I also just picked up The Stand, 'Salem's Lot, and The Gunslinger to go along with Pet Sematary just so I can be inundated with King.

I have no fucking clue what to focus on. I want to read all of this stuff, but I feel like just picking apart each of the books a few chapters at a time and moving on to another one, and then coming back, etc. Probably a terrible way to read, but I'm just sort of in one of those moods.

Read the prologue to 'Salem's Lot just now and it seems pretty cool. I'm about nine chapters into Pet Sematary and it's cool, too. The Stand almost seems TOO big to tackle right now.

Luckily, The Sandman volumes are very very quick reads.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #536
Blue Crack Distributor

I have voiced this opinion before, but I'm going to throw it out there again. I would never recommend anyone read the full version of The Stand. It was abridged for a reason, and the "full" version is super disjointed because of the newly written material that King added decades later. He isn't the same author he was then, and it just shakes up the story. That's just my opinion, of course, but, there you have it.

'Salem's Lot is a very enjoyable and "easy" read. I think I blew through that one in a couple of days.

If you're going to read The Gunslinger, just realize that there are 6 progressively longer novels that follow it and, you being you, you'd likely find A Song of Ice and Fire a more rewarding journey. That's probably my favorite book series, so I'm, of course, going to champion it.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #537
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, I'm going to share this, because book nerds and/or Cori gossip hounds might dig it.

I had been dating a guy for a short while, and I just called it off. I was disappointed that I didn't get to meet his mom, because his mom is Annie Fucking Proulx. She just recently moved to the area from Wyoming.

Oh well.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #538
She's the One

Well damn on all accounts.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #539
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Have you guys discussed Lovecraft? Haven't read any of his shit but just had a friend tell me that some of his stories are pretty damned scary.

On a horror fiction kick lately.
I'm a big Lovecraft fan, actually. If you have a Kindle (or the Kindle app), there are some enormous compilations of his stories / novels for a few next to nothing. Here's a great one that's $1:

Amazon.com: The Definitive H.P. Lovecraft: 67 Tales of Horror in One Volume (Halcyon Classics) eBook: H.P. Lovecraft: Kindle Store

Guillermo del Torro has been wanting/trying to make a film of At The Mountains of Madness (for which I bought the above $1 compilation a number of years back) for quite some time, which would be incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I have a collection of his work, but have only read two stories. Both were very unsettling, though, fwiw.

Cthulhu
Read more.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #540
Blue Crack Addict

I don't have a kindle. I like to hold real paper books.

These are the two Lovecraft books I checked out from the library. They were the only two Lovecraft books available to check out at the branch I go to:

The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft: 9780739489017: Amazon.com: Books

H. P. Lovecraft: Tales (Library of America): H. P. Lovecraft, Peter Straub: 9781931082723: Amazon.com: Books

Are these cool? Haven't even looked at the contents very closely, although I think that one of them contains At The Mountains Of Madness.