Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #481
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:35 PM
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

I'm not sure how this book ended up on my list. The title had been stuck in my head for many years after seeing brief bits of it on Masterpiece Theater while growing up. I must have read a recommendation for the book somewhere along the way

Was not expecting to love it as much as I did.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #482
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:35 AM
So, Ulysses.

I thought Gravity's Rainbow was difficult. I've just read the Sirens chapter and I let it wash over me without any care of understanding what the hell was going on. It's an interesting feeling. Of course, I've read the summary afterwards and got pissed how I didn't manage to get what exactly was going on at a particular moment.

This is a strange masochistic trip I'm taking with this novel. But I like it. Bloom is a fascinating character and you do get a feel of the place, of the smell, of the people, which is what Joyce had in mind when writing the book, being in exile from Dublin. Since I'm planning to visit Dublin soon, this is my attempt at an ingenious preparation for the trip. And it is funny in a charming sort of way. The experiments with prose and language (I love The Wandering Rocks, and I've recently seen Linklater's Slacker and I was wondering if Linklater was influenced by it in any way) are fascinating and I can only imagine how revolutionary it all seemed in 1922.

I'll keep trudging on.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #483
Blue Crack Distributor

There was something about reading it in Ireland that felt right, and I was more or less kind of enjoying it.

But I only got about halfway through, and when I got back to the US, I pretty much skimmed the whole second half. Oh well.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #484
A childless dog

Finished Hunger Games (7.5/10) and Catching Fire (6/10) and returning to Under the Volcano is like reading a different language entirely. Suzanne Collins really is one of the laziest authors ever as far as description goes. Catching Fire must have been written in a weekend.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:35 PM
I'm reading Ender's Game. Not bad so far, but the main character doesn't act like a six-year-old at all. I suppose it's because he's a genius, but still.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #486
Blue Crack Distributor

I loved that book a lot. It is weird to picture him as a small child, but, yeah, he's not exactly normal.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #487
Blue Crack Supplier

Anyone ever read anything by Indian/Trinidadian writer V.S. Naipaul? Always was curious upon seeing his work in bookstores, and finally picked up one that appears to be highly regarded: Bend In The River.

Also, recently I finished one of the best books I've read in a while. John Crowley's Engine Summer, which reads a bit like fantasy but is in reality post-apocalyptic sci-fi, where the culture has gone back to forms of paganism and something resembling Native American. Comparisons have been made to Tolkien and Bradbury, though this novel is far more oblique than the works of either. He throws you headfirst into the world and only slowly do you understand it. The ending is quietly devastating but beautiful like everything that precedes it. I've now moved on to Crowley's more famous work Little, Big.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #488
A childless dog

Ask the Dust by John Fante seemed to be the perfect book for me at this point in my life and, yes, I thought it was great. While set in a very different time period and economic situation, it still resonated with me. It did a wonderful job of describing the emotional rollercoaster of an artist while providing a very realistic (and exhausting) romance.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #489
She's the One

Mo' Meta Blues: The World According To Questlove, by Questlove (duh).

Cori had recommended this on her FB (thank you!) and I fetched it from the library. I loved it. It's all about music and creativity and the music industry and hip hop. It's really good and anyone who loves music would enjoy it. Those of you who are hip hop fans would find it especially interesting.

One caveat: it really suffers from a lack of proofreading. It's full of usage errors that anyone should have caught and circled in red pen. Many of these mistakes are the kind that even show up on word processing applications. That shit drives me nuts.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #490
Blue Crack Distributor

Is that the one with the anecdote about Prince in it?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #491
She's the One

Roller staking Prince.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #492
Blue Crack Distributor

Is there anything near as good as that story in the book? Cause if there is, I really need to pick it up.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #493
She's the One

I dug the whole book. He talks about all kinds of popular music, and he really had thoughtful things to say about hip hop. He's ten years younger than me, so the mysic he remembers from his childhood is music I remember from junior high. There's a great KISS story from his childhood. Get a library card and check it out.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #494
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, that was a great book! I have a Spotify playlist now full of music/artists he mentioned. I'm not expecting to fall in love with anything because I'm not a big hip-hop fan, but I just want to hear what he was talking/raving about.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #495
She's the One

I can always, without qualification of any kind, recommend Dave Chapelle's Block Party movie.