Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #466
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
what?
She's playing Rosemary, to be fair, so I suppose that character was in the book, but I think she had like, one line of dialogue in the entire thing.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #467
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
The meta-addiction angle certainly applies to me too. There's a reason I just bought four more of his books immediately nearing the end of this one. It also started off really slowly for me, then after a certain point I couldn't put it down or think of much else in the meantime. A great novel of contradictions - it's remarkably intellectual and unafraid to hide just how full of knowledge and just general stuff, minutiae it is, and yet completely down to earth, readable and unpretentious in its prose and form. Also seemingly completely free-flowing stream-of-consciousness, put together after the fact and yet feels 100% deliberate in its construction. I'm almost 100% on board with the ending now, especially in regard to how it almost immediately invites you to start over and the "Year of Glad" reveals itself to be a lucid epilogue stuck back on to the beginning. Really beguiling mobius strip structure that ultimately leaves me pretty satisfied, despite how many threads are left dangling, though that was never really the novel's main drive.
This is also an interesting interpretation of the ending (written by Aaron Swartz) and what happens between the first and final chapter:

What Happens at the End of Infinite Jest? (or, the Infinite Jest ending explained) (Aaron Swartz's Raw Thought)

I don't agree with every single conclusion made here, but it makes for a compelling wrap-up of the story.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #468
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Read that piece yesterday actually. I think it makes a lot of sense on the whole. And yeah obviously a lot of it is personal speculation, but the actual threads from the novel he ties together there are really quite revealing. The more I sit on this novel the more perfect I think it is at any rate.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #469
A childless dog

My first attempt to read Kerouac was a mixed bag. I started with Big Sur because I found the premise really interesting (I know On the Road is where most people start) and I figured I wouldn't be Cobblering it because a lot of people consider it one of his best.

Anyway, I enjoyed parts and disliked others. No perceptible effort was put into editing this, which is the point I guess, but I can't help but feel his potential as a writer wasn't reached here. His hallucinations were vividly depicted and I thought Billie was a very interesting, tragic individual that we got some disconcerting glimpses of. I just had a hard time following many of his exhaustive musings and failed to be engaged by the plot, which seemed to shift around aimlessly. Furthermore, for a book about self-imposed isolation, there wasn't much in the way of self-reflection. He really let himself off the hook more than I'd like. But if you know how he died, you know why that is.

I'll try an earlier work at some point. I get the impression that he's capable of greatness, but the alcoholism was eating him alive by this point and he was incapable of writing a focused novel.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #470
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:09 PM
RIP, Garcia Marquez. One of the giants.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:09 PM
RIP. I'm waiting to improve on my Spanish reading skills so I can delve into his work.

I'm reading 2666 now, along with Ulysses. It's weird enough that I actually find 2666 easier to read, despite the fact that my English is hundred times better than my Spanish.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #472
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:09 PM
I disliked "Love in the Time of Cholera" when I read it a few years ago. But when I said so in an older version of the books threads here, I got slammed for missing the point of the whole book. So I rented the movie to understand it, and also save time. I'm glad to say I bought a new copy of that book soon after

RIP
Old 04-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #473
Blue Crack Supplier

I got a copy of 100 years old solitude for my birthday about 15 years ago. I've still never read it.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #474
A childless dog

About 100 pages into the Hunger Games.

Could someone explain to me why Katniss writes like a 40 year-old English major when she's a 16 year-old from Bumfuck, West Virginia (District 12)?

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #475
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
I got a copy of 100 years old solitude for my birthday about 15 years ago. I've still never read it.
I haven't read it in decades, but it was amazing when I did read it.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #476
Blue Crack Distributor

I've read both GGM's big books, but damned if I can remember anything about either. I need to read them again.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #477
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:39 AM
I started A Hundred Years of Solitude a while back and couldn't really get into it. Might be the time to give it another shot.

Just finished Americanah, the second Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie novel I've read this year (the first was The Thing Around Your Neck, her short story collection - probably a weird place to start but hey). Loved it. Now I gotta get onto Half of a Yellow Sun before the flick comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
About 100 pages into the Hunger Games.

Could someone explain to me why Katniss writes like a 40 year-old English major when she's a 16 year-old from Bumfuck, West Virginia (District 12)?
Because the future
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #478
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, because it's the 75th anniversary this year, I finally decided to read The Grapes Of Wrath, seeing as how it's IMPORTANT and all.

No, I never had to read this for school, oddly enough. Or any of his work, come to think of it. But on my own I've read Cannery Row and its sequel Sweet Thursday, both which I liked a lot. This is heavier material obviously so I imagine it's going to be a big tougher going.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #479
Blue Crack Distributor

I love that book.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier

i hate that book, and you are a lucky bastard for not having to read it in school.