Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #451
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Because I hate watching movies for books I haven't read, I've finally read The Giver for the first time. I enjoyed it, can see why so many other people have as well. Wish I had read it when I was younger, probably would've blown my mind, or something. As it is, I found it to be a very good young adult sci-fi/dystopia novel and I am terrified of this movie coming out.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #452
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Speaking of movies and books, I just finished reading The Bonfire of the Vanities, a good book that led to a pretty bad film. It was quite a bit better than I expected. Wolfe has a distinct voice and the writing is often energetic, which I didn't really expect from a page-turner like this, even if his style gets a repetitive after a while. The subject matter - 1980s New York class warfare, basically - was quite interesting, though, and matched his gritty approach to the subject. I generally prefer authors that love their characters, but Wolfe seems to despite all of his characters equally, which was somewhat charming.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #453
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Because I hate watching movies for books I haven't read, I've finally read The Giver for the first time. I enjoyed it, can see why so many other people have as well. Wish I had read it when I was younger, probably would've blown my mind, or something. As it is, I found it to be a very good young adult sci-fi/dystopia novel and I am terrified of this movie coming out.

We read this book for my 8th grade class, and we were all mind blown by it. Even the kids who hated reading and usually goofed off in class got into the book. Shows that Lois Lowry did something right!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #454
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll fully confess that I never read that book as a kid because of the cover. Yeah, yeah, I know. But maybe sometimes when you write a book that takes place in some crazy future universe, you shouldn't give it cover art that makes it look like the touching story of a young boy who befriends a dying old man.

In other news, I've give up on Les Miserables for now. Back to House of Leaves.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #455
Blue Crack Supplier

House Of Leaves (shudder)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #456
Blue Crack Distributor

40 pages in...only took me three hours
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #457
Blue Crack Supplier

It probably hasn't got super weird/scary yet. But believe me, when it does, you are going to freak.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #458
Blue Crack Supplier

Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew

Quote:
That's one book I would rather not like to see as a movie. Which is neither here nor there, since I'm sure I'll never see it anyway. There are books I've read in the last five years that were so forgettable I can't remember more than the basic plot, whereas I last read that in 4th grade and remember practically everything.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Better brace yourself; you are not prepared for what's about to happen.
Yeah well shit, I wasn't prepared. I'm not sure I know what happened. I have already gone back and read the first 17 pages again though and already clarified a number of things.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #460
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
It probably hasn't got super weird/scary yet. But believe me, when it does, you are going to freak.
It's already pretty unsettling. But, no, it's not super scary yet, the house is just getting bigger. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
That's one book I would rather not like to see as a movie. Which is neither here nor there, since I'm sure I'll never see it anyway. There are books I've read in the last five years that were so forgettable I can't remember more than the basic plot, whereas I last read that in 4th grade and remember practically everything.
I saw a lot of people on the IMDb board kind of saying the same thing: After Ender's Game, it's just impossible to hope that any good YA adaptation is ever going to happen again. It didn't help that the trailer for this film was in full color. No one can make sense of that, as it does say in the tech specs that it will be in both B&W and color. So the question is, now, whether the trailer was a bait & switch.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 AM
But Taylor's in it!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Yeah well shit, I wasn't prepared. I'm not sure I know what happened. I have already gone back and read the first 17 pages again though and already clarified a number of things.
There was a rumor that because the book was so long, the editor asked him to whittle it down, and instead he just hacked off 100 pages or so from the end of the book.

Can't find the source on that though.

It's funny because after finishing it I went to a withdrawal of sorts, having become addicted to a book about addiction, with no closer. An ironic trick.

So what are your final thoughts?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #463
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
There was a rumor that because the book was so long, the editor asked him to whittle it down, and instead he just hacked off 100 pages or so from the end of the book.

Can't find the source on that though.

It's funny because after finishing it I went to a withdrawal of sorts, having become addicted to a book about addiction, with no closer. An ironic trick.

So what are your final thoughts?
The meta-addiction angle certainly applies to me too. There's a reason I just bought four more of his books immediately nearing the end of this one. It also started off really slowly for me, then after a certain point I couldn't put it down or think of much else in the meantime. A great novel of contradictions - it's remarkably intellectual and unafraid to hide just how full of knowledge and just general stuff, minutiae it is, and yet completely down to earth, readable and unpretentious in its prose and form. Also seemingly completely free-flowing stream-of-consciousness, put together after the fact and yet feels 100% deliberate in its construction. I'm almost 100% on board with the ending now, especially in regard to how it almost immediately invites you to start over and the "Year of Glad" reveals itself to be a lucid epilogue stuck back on to the beginning. Really beguiling mobius strip structure that ultimately leaves me pretty satisfied, despite how many threads are left dangling, though that was never really the novel's main drive.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #464
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
But Taylor's in it!
As a made-up character
Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #465
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote: