Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
So, it seems that I'm not the first one who thought of reading Gravity's Rainbow after Infinite Jest. I miss Infinite Jest a lot right now - that was a delight to read. I'm 70 pages into GR and I'm already well past caring to figuring out what exactly is going on, but this is not what is bugging me. Pynchon seems very inconsistent to me in his writing style - some parts are admittedly brilliant, others are just way over-the-top and not the least funny to me. Unlike DFW's sense of humour, which worked for me 100%, Pynchon seems to try way too hard. We'll see how it goes. The themes are certainly intriguing, the research done behind the book is admirable, and the whole thing brings back Blood Meridian flashbacks in terms of how difficult it is to read, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #332
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Does (or has) anyone used Audible.com? I realize I have a fairly large chunk of my day stuck in my car listening to the radio. The local indie station isn't nearly as good as they once were, so I've been considering doing some audio books. I've never done audio books of any sort, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:33 AM
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

This is retelling of The Iliad, where Achilles and Patroclus are actually lovers. It started off well, and I loved the poetic prose in this book! I also liked how Achilles' mother, the goddess Thetis, was a good antagonist here. She was really something to be nervous about. But when I got to the actual Trojan War, I started to get bored. I don't know if Miller was really basing this part solely on The Iliad (I read The Odyssey in high school), or this was her idea, but to have 10 years when nothing really happens but constant fighting made me roll my eyes. I was also really rolling my eyes when Achilles and Patroclus have their first real fight after 15 years together. Really, 15 years of total loving bliss? Riiiiight! Their relationship started off well, but eventually those two got annoying with Achilles trying to be humble yet becomes arrogant overnight, and Partoclus all dreamy and lovey-dovey.

But overall, it was a good retelling of an Ancient Greek classic.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #334
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:33 AM
I started reading Infinite Jest. Got 30 pages in with the first sitting.

We'll see how it goes. I may aim for about 100 pages per week, and read other things in between. I can tell I'm going to need to focus a lot harder with this one than I do with other books, so that might work okay for me.

Also going with the paperback instead of the Kindle version so I can easily jump back and forth for the footnotes.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Have fun! The Infinite Jest wiki has been a huge help for me in terms of vocabulary and obscure references, so I highly recommend it.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #336
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe it'll go faster than I thought; I'm just about 100 pages in already, although it's starting to feel like a slog, which means it's time to put it down and come back to it later.

There are some sections/characters I'm more interested in than others, but we'll see how it all pans out.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #337
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:33 AM
600 pages into The Goldfinch, the new one by Donna Tartt.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #338
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Maybe it'll go faster than I thought; I'm just about 100 pages in already, although it's starting to feel like a slog, which means it's time to put it down and come back to it later.

There are some sections/characters I'm more interested in than others, but we'll see how it all pans out.
I hope you've been laughing a lot, at least.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #339
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
600 pages into The Goldfinch, the new one by Donna Tartt.
How is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I hope you've been laughing a lot, at least.
I have had a handful of "HA!" moments so far, yes.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm 230 pages into Gravity's Rainbow and it is somewhat easier now than the first part of the novel which has to be the closest thing to a shroom experience I had. It is certainly fascinating and the prose is undeniably beautiful.

My major problem is that I don't find it funny. I see that there are many sections that attempt to be humourous, and I know that many fans of the book consider it hilarious, but I don't see it. Perhaps it was Infinite Jest that had spoiled me.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #341
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've been keeping an eye out for Infinite Jest at used book stores, but no luck so far.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 AM
The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind: Daniel J. Siegel, Tina Payne Bryson: 9780553386691: Amazon.com: Books

Great read.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #343
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
How is it?

I finished.

Well, I mean, she can write, that;s for sure.

I found aspects of the main character to be very annoying, but this is due to subjective factors. I found other parts of the book to be pretty engrossing….and I found yet another thread to be incredibly touching to the point of awakening some dormant feelings in me and causing tears at least twice. So, mixed reaction but more good than bad. Much more, actually.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #344
Blue Crack Distributor

I picked The Book Thief up at a garage sale over the summer after having grown tired of confusing it's cover art with a YA Fiction book that I really loved. Didn't end up reading it, but now that every commercial break on television is talking about this "Triumph of the human spirit" picture coming out, I figured I'd start reading it. Anyone else here have an opinion on it? I'm only about 30 pages in but I'm finding it difficult to really follow the flow of things at the moment. I assume I'll grow more accustomed to the narration soon enough and it will be easier to read.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^ That's another one that I couldn't find on my book shopping excursion.