Books Part V, featuring Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Shit! I can't sleep. I wish I still owned a copy of war and peace, that book would put me to sleep in a heartbeat. Or I could just hit myself in the head and knock myself out with it, that would be less painful.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #182
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
My hands are shaking out of fear so badly that I cannot turn the pages anymore.
This happens to me sometimes when I'm doing a particularly rowdy baby and toddler story time.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
I'm reading The Iliad, but I haven't gotten very far. I'm having trouble getting into it, and I think it might be the translation I'm reading. It seems really dumbed-down and unpoetic. I thought that would make it a faster read, but it actually made it less interesting.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:53 PM
One weird side effect of reading Cloud Atlas is to have M83's Outro constantly in my head.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
I'm reading The Iliad, but I haven't gotten very far. I'm having trouble getting into it, and I think it might be the translation I'm reading. It seems really dumbed-down and unpoetic. I thought that would make it a faster read, but it actually made it less interesting.
Which translation are you reading, out of curiousity?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Which translation are you reading, out of curiousity?
It's the Signet Classics edition:

The Iliad (Signet Classics): Homer, W. H. D. Rouse, Seth L. Schein: 9780451530691: Amazon.com: Books

I have a small collection of Signet Classics and bought The Iliad and The Odyssey a while back since I had a gift card and thought they would look nice on my shelf.

I also have an old copy of The Odyssey that the library in my high school was giving away because no one was reading it, and it's a lot better. (I also got a collection of Leo Tolstoy's short stories that looked like it had never even been opened.) It says that it was translated by George Herbert Palmer and was published in 1962. It's been about seven years since I've read it, but I remember really liking it. I was hoping to find the same balance of epicness and modernized language in this edition of The Iliad.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Many people like Fagles for the Iliad and Mandelbaum for the Odyssey.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just finished the great Tolstoy short story the Death of Ivan Ilyich. This was the best representation of what it's like to face death without actually having to experience death. It basically asks the questions many people would ask when facing their own demise. Despite the heavy subject matter it's very readable. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. The depiction of certain family members being irritated by the inconvenience dying brings was accurate, funny at times, and cruelly sad at other points. Some people just don't care or would rather pretend everything will be okay. It's also a reminder to live life with meaning.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #189
Blue Crack Supplier

It's almost the only Tolstoy I wouldn't like to throw into a volcano with Mumford and Sons.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Many people like Fagles for the Iliad and Mandelbaum for the Odyssey.
Yeah, I was going to say Fagles or Graves would be good choices. I'm not familiar with Rouse's translation.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Just finished the great Tolstoy short story the Death of Ivan Ilyich. This was the best representation of what it's like to face death without actually having to experience death. It basically asks the questions many people would ask when facing their own demise. Despite the heavy subject matter it's very readable. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. The depiction of certain family members being irritated by the inconvenience dying brings was accurate, funny at times, and cruelly sad at other points. Some people just don't care or would rather pretend everything will be okay. It's also a reminder to live life with meaning.
I think that one is in my Tolstoy book. It creeped me out a little. There was also one called "Family Happiness" that made me want to stay single forever. I think it was about a girl who regrets getting married as soon as the wedding was over, or at least I think that's what it was about (it's been a long time).
Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
I think that one is in my Tolstoy book. It creeped me out a little. There was also one called "Family Happiness" that made me want to stay single forever. I think it was about a girl who regrets getting married as soon as the wedding was over, or at least I think that's what it was about (it's been a long time).
Yeah and the Ivan Ilyich story has another example of a destructive torturous marriage already.

From some of the negative reviews I'll probably hate Anna Karenina.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Family Happiness can go into the volcano.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Tolstoy seemed to like writing about marriage gone bad. I remember one story about a guy who was convinced that his wife was cheating on him, so when he found her at home talking to another man, he stabbed her. It described what it felt like to stab someone wearing a corset, and the guy didn't go to prison because he was a "wronged husband," so it was OK for him to kill his wife. It was kinda disturbing. I don't remember what that one was called, though.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I didn't like War and Peace at all. I think he's a great writer but a lot of what he does is create setups with no payoffs. Characters seem to disappear or plot strands are left unexplained. Then when this happens during long books it becomes too easy to put it down and almost impossible to pick it up again. Short stories from Tolstoy so far are more rewarding to me.