Bike advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
My bike got stolen last year but it was getting run down anyway. I need to start training one of my dogs for the "AD" (Ausdauerprüfung - a 12 mile ride for the human, run for the dog). A friend of mine into bikes said I can get something good that is used or a model that is not the current year for a good price. I'm hoping to not spend more than $200. I'm really not that into biking but don't want a Huffy from Walmart. I like the "hybrid" style bikes that are lighter with the thinner tires but can still ride off road. Usually the AD is all or mostly off road. It needs to be able to accommodate a Springer attachment or something similar. I also have this thing, I don't like straight handle bars. Otherwise I'm not really picky. Any suggestions on what brands or models to look for?

I honestly don't know that I could recommend anything really decent in the hybrid range for $200...though I never looked around at used bikes. Generally they start out at about $500ish new, so maybe it's possible.

You can't go wrong with a TREK, though I am really fond of a Canadian brand called deVinci, and I am leaning toward getting one of their bikes next (though not for another year).

I don't need new, don't even care if it's 5+ years old or refurbed. It just has to do easy road and trail riding for roadworking the dog. My old hybrid that was stolen was $350 new and I rode it 20 miles a day for years with no problems, it eventually got got damaged and rusty over the winter b/c I left it out on the porch too much and it was too exposed. That bike I got in 2004 and the same thing would work for me now (not sure how many "speeds" it had, but it was more than enough). Oh and the wheels have to be relatively easy to remove since I don't have a rack.

I see a lot of Diamondbacks, are those any good? What size do I need for 5'7" tall female?

I have a Torker U-District (for a bit more than you're maybe willing to spend at $320), and ride 70-100 miles a week. It's been a tank, other than a few flats, but that's to be expected. Really, really happy with it. Technically, it has road tires (700x28), though the frame is more of a mountain bike or hybrid type.

TORKER BICYCLES / COMMUTER LIFE / 2010 U-DISTRICT

Otherwise, this site is like the Craigslist of bikes only: http://www.re-cycle.com/

Cool, I edited, probably while you were posting, to add that used bike site; you should definitely check that out, then. Or do any of your local bike shops sell used bikes? I know there's a few in Minneapolis that do, maybe look into that as well?

I'll have to check. I've only been to one bike shop so far and they didn't have much, most of their stuff was really hardcore and expensive, not much choice for someone like me. I think the Schwinn shops do, I used to ride Schwinns and when I'd saved up enough paper route money for a new one, we'd trade in the old one, but I don't know how they stack up as a brand.

Yeah, I mean, it's hard to say. We don't have a Schwinn shop here anymore, but have tons of independent ones...probably because Minneapolis was recently named the best biking city in the nation, so we have more options. Cast a broad net is the best advice I have, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom