Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I really hated beer for the longest time. And while I'd still probably have a rum and coke or a glass of wine, I've really come to enjoy a few varieties of beer.

Guinness and Samuel Adams pretty much own me when it comes to beer. The Guinness took some time for me to enjoy, but Sam I enjoyed from the first glass.

Favorite Sam varieties:
Hefeweizen
Honey Porter
Boston Lager
Summer Ale
Cherry Wheat

Still have yet to try the Octoberfest and Winter Lager. I look forward to it, though. :drool:

What kinds of beer do you enjoy?

Last edited:
I'm kinda the same. I'm 17, and was a fierce hater of beer, but now I've come to like some forms of the stuff. If there's spirits lying around I'll drink those instead however.

I love beer.

Being from Boston, I love Sam's and am proud of how popular it's gotten lately. I must try Sam's Hefeweizen. Hefeweizens are my favorite. (Paulaner! but from Germany, the imports ruin it.) Sammy's Oktoberfest is great, I have a six pack at the moment. I was just thinking about drinking one, but then, I just drank a Magic Hat Mystery Beer so I probably shouldn't. I don't really like Sam's Summer (too sour) or Cherry (too sweet) but the Winter and Oktoberfest are my favorites. The Winter is a little lighter than the regular lager.

Magic Hat by the way is brilliant. I also recommend Blue Moon. And Harpoon.

And if you can, do tours of beer factories. They're so much fun!

Miller???????

Heineken's good stuff.

For those who don't like beer, I recommend a Woodchuck cider, especially the Dark and Dry.

I love beer. Recently discovered a very nice Belgian beer cafe in Adelaide - it's expensive as the Dickens, but it's got an excellent variety. Worth a visit every month or so.

If I want to go cheaper, I'll usually get Lowenbrau, Carlsberg (particularly Elephants), Tuborg or Heineken (if only for its availability and that it's far superior to any other beer you can buy at Australian pubs). Though I usually buy something I haven't tried before, given the chance and a good price.

edit: I've never had any Buds or Millers. Absolute worst commercial beer IMO is Crown Lager (I think it's just Fosters overseas?). It's just urine.

Last edited:
Pure Blonde is my fave, or a good cold VB will do me.

I dont drink beer that often, i Shouldnt be drinking it anyway. :shh:

Guinness

Ommegang- Three Philosophers

Killians Irish Red

Used to like Sam Adams but once Genesee started making it locals
dropped it

I'm more of a straight liquor person myself, but I rarely drink that when I'm out.

I actually hated Guinness until I went to Ireland. It really tastes infinitely better there, and I have no idea why. Guinness from Ireland will always be my top choice. I try to drink it here but it hurts. :(

Magic Hat is my next favorite beer of all time. It has a little kick to it...I can't really explain the flavor but it really stands out from other beers. It is gorgeous.

I also love Yuengling. When I'm out and there's no Magic Hat, Yuengling is my next choice.

Followed by Woodchuck.

And if I'm low on cash, I think the best cheap beer out there is PBR.

Oh and for 40s, my top choice is Hurricane.

This is my favorite time of year for beers, because the darker, hoppier seasonal ones come out. My favorite beers are IPAs. Victory's Hop Devil is my favorite, but I also reall like Stone IPA. Blue Moon is good now and then, and I like Corona in the summer. I really can't stand Heineken. I always think it tastes skunky. I love Yuengling. I grew up about an hour from their brewery, and my dad and I have done the tour. Yuengling is a great quality for a cheap beer, too--I can get a six pack for less than $5. Theirs is one of the best light beers I've tried, too, and I also enjoy their porter.

Victory's Storm King stoudt is an ass kicker at 9% alcohol, but it's so good, especially in the winter months. It's expensive, but it's totally worth it.

I've been too sick to drink at all this fall, and it's looking like it will probably be another six weeks or so until I'll be able to enjoy that lonely Hop Devil in my fridge :(

I actually hated beer as well, then I started drinking Blue Moon (On a VERY hot day in the summer) and I started to acquire a taste for it.
Heiniken, I was never a fan of it.

Sapporo is great with sushi. Guinness is better in Ireland. :yes:

I really need to get more into Victory, I would probably like it.

For those who don't like beer, it's an acquired taste I think. Especially different types of beer.

the whole "guinness is better in ireland" thing is a strange debate. i haven't been to ireland (yet) so i can't really tell.

the actuall company line on the issue is that it's a mental thing, sort of like a placebo effect, and that the guinness that is shipped to america is 100% exactly the same thing as what is shipped to ireland.

some think it's 'cause the pipes are that much older in ireland that makes the difference. :shrug:

who knows. i tend to lean towards the mental thing.

or that those in ireland are more adept at the handeling of guinness... even here in the states there's a difference between pints depending on a) where you get it, b) who pours it. :shrug: who the hell knows

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the whole "guinness is better in ireland" thing is a strange debate. i haven't been to ireland (yet) so i can't really tell.

the actuall company line on the issue is that it's a mental thing, sort of like a placebo effect, and that the guinness that is shipped to america is 100% exactly the same thing as what is shipped to ireland.

some think it's 'cause the pipes are that much older in ireland that makes the difference. :shrug:

who knows. i tend to lean towards the mental thing.

or that those in ireland are more adept at the handeling of guinness... even here in the states there's a difference between pints depending on a) where you get it, b) who pours it. :shrug: who the hell knows

lmao guinness shipped to ireland?

I love the fact that in Germany you could drink a different beer every day for more than 16 years straight. :D
And then start with the international ones.

I'm not at all impressesd by the American beers like Miller or Budweiser.
The original Chech Budweiser is much better.

Local patriotism makes me enjoy Flensburger Pilsener the most. Colin Powell drinks that beer as well.
I like Heineken and several German beers, generally pils.

Australian beer was okay, but too watery/washy for my taste.
Carlsberg is enjoyable, but I don't like Tuborg at all. That stuff tastes like a beer that was left open for too long.

I'm not a fan of Weizen, not my cup of tea.

Beck's isn't great, either. Generally, those commercial beers are lacking in taste. Exceptions would be Warsteiner or Krombacher.

That's it so far for beer.

I would prefer cider if it was available at bars and discos, but sadly it isn't.

Guinness used to be brewed in a plant in NY state for sale in the US but now we get ours from Ireland. A third of Guinness brewed worldwide comes from Nigeria.

Guinness joke I found:

This story takes place at a beer festival in Ireland, where the various Presidents from different breweries were sitting in a pub for a beer.

The Corona President says to the bartender: "Senor, I'd like the world's best beer -- a Corona". Bartender grabs a dusty bottle from the shelf and hands it to him.

The Budweiser President says: "Bartender, I'll have the King of Beers, a Budweiser."

The Coors President: "I'd like the only beer that's made from pure Rocky Mountain Spring Water, a Coors".

The Guinness President says: "Bartender, I'll have a Coke." The other Presidents then ask him: "Hey, why aren't you drinking a Guinness?" To which, he replies: "Well, since you guys aren't drinking beer, neither will I."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom