Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All that said, I really recommend the Westmalle Dubbel. I liked it a lot more than the Tripel (which is still a really good beer).

Wasn't huge on the wit, but have gotten a lot of legs out of the Abt 12. That beer is ridiculous.

Abt 12 is great. I also enjoyed their Christmas Ale.

St.B.jpg

All that said, I really recommend the Westmalle Dubbel. I liked it a lot more than the Tripel (which is still a really good beer).

I have access to that so I'll try it.

You probably have tried the Rochefort 6, 8, and 10. If not definitely seek it out.

Abt 12 is great. I also enjoyed their Christmas Ale.

St.B.jpg

I have access to that so I'll try it.

You probably have tried the Rochefort 6, 8, and 10. If not definitely seek it out.

Haven't had the Xmas - sometimes hard to find the seasonal beers where I am. Delerium Noel is available from time to time.

The Rochefort beers are glorious. I loved the 6 and 10, the 8 I found a bit confused. I think for some reason it doesn't carry the alcohol, but the 10 is so saturated with alcohol it works. Does that make sense? With how amazing the Westvleteren 8 was, I can only imagine how amazing the 12 must be.

Haven't had the Xmas - sometimes hard to find the seasonal beers where I am. Delerium Noel is available from time to time.

The Rochefort beers are glorious. I loved the 6 and 10, the 8 I found a bit confused. I think for some reason it doesn't carry the alcohol, but the 10 is so saturated with alcohol it works. Does that make sense? With how amazing the Westvleteren 8 was, I can only imagine how amazing the 12 must be.

We are like opposite beer tasters. I learned to like the Rochefort 10 (but it seemed extremely boozy when I first tried it) but I loved the 8 the most because of it's aroma. 6 was nice but it was too watered down. I never saw the Westvleteren 8 but I had the 12 and it was rich and delicious with champagne bubbles. It's probably the best beer I've had but Rochfort 8 is a competitor for me.

Here's the list:

Trappist beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still have quite a few I haven't tried:

Brasserie d'Orval
Brouwerij de Koningshoeven (La Trappe)
Stift Engelszell Austria
St. Joseph’s Abbey (Spencer)
Brouwerij Abdij Maria Toevlucht (Zundert)

We are like opposite beer tasters. I learned to like the Rochefort 10 (but it seemed extremely boozy when I first tried it) but I loved the 8 the most because of it's aroma. 6 was nice but it was too watered down. I never saw the Westvleteren 8 but I had the 12 and it was rich and delicious with champagne bubbles. It's probably the best beer I've had but Rochfort 8 is a competitor for me.

Here's the list:

Trappist beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still have quite a few I haven't tried:

Brasserie d'Orval
Brouwerij de Koningshoeven (La Trappe)
Stift Engelszell Austria
St. Joseph’s Abbey (Spencer)
Brouwerij Abdij Maria Toevlucht (Zundert)

You have to try Orval. Amazing. They print the bottle dates, so try and get a bottle with 3 or 4 years on it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wasn't huge on the wit, but have gotten a lot of legs out of the Abt 12. That beer is ridiculous.

Wits for me are Hoegaarden as a weekday beer (less than $1.70 a bottle in a case at Costco), and for something nicer the Blanche de Namur. If they put too much of the gruit in they can taste really soapy, and I seem to have a hyper-sensitivity to it in witbier.

I'm late to this thread and am not going to trawl though 50 odd pages so apologies if it's already mentioned, if you're after a wheat beer then hunt down 'Erdinger':drool:

I'm late to this thread and am not going to trawl though 50 odd pages so apologies if it's already mentioned, if you're after a wheat beer then hunt down 'Erdinger':drool:

Erdinger is good German beer, along with Weihenstephaner.

You have to try Orval. Amazing. They print the bottle dates, so try and get a bottle with 3 or 4 years on it.

Thanks for the tip. I may have seen the label before but didn't look for it specifically.

Orval is easily my favourite of the non-'icon' Trappists. (So not rochefort, Chimay or Westvleteren. Just a different drinking experience.

This is the worst beer I've had:

beer-chopsticks.jpg

Tsing Tao is like skunky urine.

Tsing Tao is drinkable, though yes, bad. Try Tappeto Volante and you'll agree the latter is much worse.

And I genuinely enjoy PBR. Don't ever buy it here because it's like $50 a slab compared with less than a dollar a 500ml can in the States, but yeah. Good cheap session drinking beer.

Tsing Tao is drinkable, though yes, bad. Try Tappeto Volante and you'll agree the latter is much worse.

And I genuinely enjoy PBR. Don't ever buy it here because it's like $50 a slab compared with less than a dollar a 500ml can in the States, but yeah. Good cheap session drinking beer.

God if it's worse than Tsing Tao then put it back in the horse!

Well I just found a new store that opened and have an excuse to go. I got an Orval and a whole bunch of other goodies. It didn't look like it was with a bottle date but it was the only one there. I'm still angry that I have to rely on eBay for California IPAs. Oh well, according to the staff I'm not the only one hooked on the Super Conductor Double IPA. :giggle: Good New Zealand beer! Hops and pine needles! It’s a good replacement.

De Molen Rasputin 3.5/5: Strange stout. It has stout qualities but the chocolate helps give it a Coca Cola texture. It's easy to drink. This got a 99 on Ratebeer. The bottle demands that it be served at 10 C. It doesn’t blow me away but that’s personal taste.

Orval 4/5: Very aromatic. It’s a like a formaldehyde grandmother with perfume…in a good way. Really funky and reminds me of some Belgian fruit drinks or French cider drinks without the fruit and the quality ingredients really come out. There is a bit of a banana note but not overwhelming. I can tell there’s some hops in there. It’s quite dry like a dry wine. It’s not my style to put it in the Rochfort and Westvletaren territory but I can see why people like it. It’s complex. It’s like funkiness and then perfume appears after the funkiness. It reminds me of smelling Jennifer Lawrence’s nails in American Hustle. The final swallow was actually quite good. I’m wondering if this is a beer that should be drunk slowly like a decanted wine.

Schneider Weisse Aventinus (Tap 6) 4/5: Rate beer has this as 100, whatever. It’s a BBQ sauce beer with cloves. It’s a little spicy and the cloves just come out and take over. I would love to drink this with Tony Roma’s ribs or a peppercorn steak. I’m not sure I would want to return to this beer but I can’t help but feel that the cloves and “tomato sauce?” are fun. BBQ sauce and tomato sauce.

I think I know my limit. 3 bottles of beer and I’m hammered. That might be pathetic but that’s how it is. :giggle:

Well I just found a new store that opened and have an excuse to go. I got an Orval and a whole bunch of other goodies. It didn't look like it was with a bottle date but it was the only one there. I'm still angry that I have to rely on eBay for California IPAs. Oh well, according to the staff I'm not the only one hooked on the Super Conductor Double IPA. :giggle: Good New Zealand beer! Hops and pine needles! It’s a good replacement.

De Molen Rasputin 3.5/5: Strange stout. It has stout qualities but the chocolate helps give it a Coca Cola texture. It's easy to drink. This got a 99 on Ratebeer. The bottle demands that it be served at 10 C. It doesn’t blow me away but that’s personal taste.

Orval 4/5: Very aromatic. It’s a like a formaldehyde grandmother with perfume…in a good way. Really funky and reminds me of some Belgian fruit drinks or French cider drinks without the fruit and the quality ingredients really come out. There is a bit of a banana note but not overwhelming. I can tell there’s some hops in there. It’s quite dry like a dry wine. It’s not my style to put it in the Rochfort and Westvletaren territory but I can see why people like it. It’s complex. It’s like funkiness and then perfume appears after the funkiness. It reminds me of smelling Jennifer Lawrence’s nails in American Hustle. The final swallow was actually quite good. I’m wondering if this is a beer that should be drunk slowly like a decanted wine.

Schneider Weisse Aventinus (Tap 6) 4/5: Rate beer has this as 100, whatever. It’s a BBQ sauce beer with cloves. It’s a little spicy and the cloves just come out and take over. I would love to drink this with Tony Roma’s ribs or a peppercorn steak. I’m not sure I would want to return to this beer but I can’t help but feel that the cloves and “tomato sauce?” are fun. BBQ sauce and tomato sauce.

I think I know my limit. 3 bottles of beer and I’m hammered. That might be pathetic but that’s how it is. :giggle:

It's ok I will drink the other 21 in the case for you. :drunk:

I have an empty bottle of Orval on my shelf, the only one I've drank. It's delicious.

Westmalle dubbel 4.5/5: Really good dark beer. This is very similar to the Rochefort beers. Aromatic dark beer. I'm eating a sandwich to get through the 4th pint + listening to Crystal Ballroom. :drunk:

Tsingtao is served everywhere in HK so I kind of got a taste for it there. Not the best beer, but far from the worst lager I've ever had, very refreshing in the right weather.

Yo Cobbs where are you getting your PBR because it's like $14 for a sixpack of pint cans at Dan Murphy's, perfect thing to bring somewhere. Not a massive fan but sometimes you gotta rock the look I guess.

Man, our beer is expensive over there. When we had Shepp Danny over, we bought a 12 pack of PBR for $9 for the occasion.

Glad you enjoyed the Orval. Was it date stamped? They use yeast that is infected with brettanomyces, which in wine comes form poor cleaning practices for the equipment, and makes it taste like barnyard refuse. In this yeast strain it occurs naturally, and is what adds the funkiness, but in a good way. It's weird. But once you acquire a taste, it becomes a real favourite.

Westmalle dubbel 4.5/5: Really good dark beer. This is very similar to the Rochefort beers. Aromatic dark beer. I'm eating a sandwich to get through the 4th pint + listening to Crystal Ballroom. :drunk:

Yep - I like this more than the Tripel. More going on in the flavours, richer, more intense, but the alcohol doesn't overwhelm. These Belgian monks can brew beer!

Man, our beer is expensive over there. When we had Shepp Danny over, we bought a 12 pack of PBR for $9 for the occasion.

our shit beer is expensive over there. i'm thinking damn, i wouldn't pay our prices for horrible piss water. are you guys importing the same swill?

i think i tried a rochfort something once, tasted like bacon.

Glad you enjoyed the Orval. Was it date stamped? They use yeast that is infected with brettanomyces, which in wine comes form poor cleaning practices for the equipment, and makes it taste like barnyard refuse. In this yeast strain it occurs naturally, and is what adds the funkiness, but in a good way. It's weird. But once you acquire a taste, it becomes a real favourite.

The only date stamp I see is August 2013 to August 2018.

That yeast sounds like something that will help my immune system if there's an epidemic.:ohmy:

8 Wire iStout 5/5: Great stout with a blend of hops and typical chocolate stout flavours. It's not too bitter and very smooth. It's quite sweet as well, but not overbearingly so. Ratebeer has it at 100.

The last of my beer haul:

Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA 4/5: The most floral beer I've ever tasted. It's like perfume because of the 7 different types of hops included. Very different from any other hops beers. I don't quite put it at a 5/5 category because it really can seem like drinking cologne. Rate beer has it at 98.

Rogue-Farms-7-Hop-IPA.preview.png

Don't know that one (and doubt I'd like it, I hate magic hat #9 because I don't like flowers in my beer), but Rogue Dead Guy Ale is :drool:

Don't know that one (and doubt I'd like it, I hate magic hat #9 because I don't like flowers in my beer), but Rogue Dead Guy Ale is :drool:

Agreed with every word. I can't fucking stand most IPAs because of their floral taste, it's really too pine-like for me.

And Dead Guy Ale is delicious.

That's all I drank for the two years I lived in China. I acquired a taste for it. It's not the best beer by any stretch, but I get nostalgic every time I drink it.

I consumed quite a bit of $0.50 Tiger beer when in Vietnam earlier this year. Again, not a very good beer, but you can't beat that price.

Agreed with every word. I can't fucking stand most IPAs because of their floral taste, it's really too pine-like for me.

And Dead Guy Ale is delicious.

I still like IPAs that have more of the pine needles and grapefruit taste but that Rogue Farms IPA was like drinking Terre D'Hermes. :lol: It was still very drinkable with good ingredients but I prefer hops mixed with something like a stout or malts. iStout was awesome. Hennepin is a more refined beer with hops, kind of like old world fruit in wine versus fruit bombs California wines.

Back
Top Bottom