Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that local?

I tried He'Brew for the first time the other night. Bloody good stuff.

Yeah I think so. You can get 2 Brothers at a few places around Melbourne but I've only found the Kung Foo Rice Lager at two places. I don't know how to describe it but I think maybe it's a golden ale?

Does it taste like someone soaked one of the kindergarten orange and cloves arts and crafts things in your beer? That's what I think of when I've had golden ales. No idea if anyone in this thread ever made those when they were a kid, so there may be a lack of point of reference here...the things where you'd make faces and stuff on oranges sticking cloves into them.

hofbrau-oktoberfest.jpg

Beer review: This is my first Oktoberfestbier. It's a little sweet and honeyed. Perfect beer for food. Yet it's not competitive with more dense rich beers 3.5/5.0

Ever have the Spaten Oktoberfest? Really good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I try to wait until it feels a little more "fall-like" to break out the October beers, but, since it's never going to feel "fall-like" here, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pick up something this weekend :hmm:

Super Conductor 8 wired Brewing company 4.5/5: Good crisp double IPA. It's from New Zealand but tastes like a California IPA. It's just a little too bitter. The hops have a grapefruit quality but there's also some pine needles in there. Still it's above average.

5/5 IPAs for me are Pliny the Elder, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and Firestone Walker Union Jack.

ayinger-okt-fest.jpg

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen 3.5/5: Richer beer than the other Oktoberfest I tried. The honey factor is even more pronounced. There's more flavour so it doesn't have that watered down quality of the Hofbrau.

Semiconductor Sessions IPA 3.5/5:
8_Wired_Semi_Conductor.png

It's okay but the double IPA is miles better. It's refreshing and drinkable enough.

Westmalle Tripel 5/5: One of the best beers. Pale golden beer with what seems like some fruit and spices. There are hints of leaves, clove, banana. Beats the hell out of Budweiser.

beer_2204.jpg

Pretty sure I've had that tripel. Pretty sure I was too drunk to care wha it tasted like, though.

So many cool beers in the U.S. but is hard to get in Canada.

What am I enjoying now?

Trade Winds Tripel - The Bruery 3.5/5

Decent Belgian beer with asian rice. It's similar to the Westmalle Tripel but not quite as flavorful. Still pretty good.

506b118674c5b64b0a0014fe._w.1500_s.fit_.jpg

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang 4/5: Interesting dark ale. It tastes like ale with mint and licorice. I'm liking it because the licorice isn't too harsh. Strong yeast Belgian yeast experience.

ommegang-three-philosophers.jpg

Now the three philosophers is one I do remember trying. Ommegang makes some beer I like, that is not it.

I had the horrible misfortune of trying this beer on Wednesday night.

tappetovolante.jpg

Has anyone tried it? It is, BY FAR, the worst beer I have ever had. I am not being hyperbolic for the sake of it. I have had a lot of terrible beers in my time - Hahn Ice, Hammer n Tongs and Red Bitter immediately spring to mind - but they pale in comparison to Tappeto Volante. Those beers, whilst terrible, at least provide a hint of how a half-decent beer might taste.

Not Tappeto Volante.

I'm not a beer connoisseur nor aficionado, so I can't talk about hops and malts and all that crap, but what I can say is that never in my life have I had such a viscerally bad reaction to tasting a beer. The first sip alone was so horrible I wondered if it had gone off months ago and been put back in the fridge for an hour, and it got even worse from there. I pushed it well away but it the after taste continue to worsen at a rapid rate before finally disappearing after about 10 seconds.

Never had it, but the worst beer I've ever had is Brahma. Putrid dishwater.

I got on the tongs the other night, haha. Wasn't my plan.

Tried Resin recently. Basically the hep beer version of energy drink/bacardi mixers. Tasted shocking and threw me into a crazy loop. Worth a try!

I finally had a good pumpkin beer! Forgot to come in here and say something about it. But, seriously, that shit was legit:

Epic Imperial Pumpkin Porter
Malts

Muntons Maris Otter, Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt, Muntons Crystal, Weyermann Munic Malt Type I (light), Briess 2-Row Chocolate Malt, Weyerman Carafa III
Hops and Spices

Nugget, Perle, Tettnang
Pumpkin, Vanilla Bean, Allspice, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves
ABV 8.3%
Brewed in Salt Lake City
bgcr2q.png

Got it on tap, too. It actually tasted like pumpkin, not just cinnamon and nutmeg, which is fine for coffees, but for a beer, I really was looking for that pumpkin taste. This was the stuff.

I had the horrible misfortune of trying this beer on Wednesday night.

tappetovolante.jpg

Has anyone tried it? It is, BY FAR, the worst beer I have ever had. I am not being hyperbolic for the sake of it. I have had a lot of terrible beers in my time - Hahn Ice, Hammer n Tongs and Red Bitter immediately spring to mind - but they pale in comparison to Tappeto Volante. Those beers, whilst terrible, at least provide a hint of how a half-decent beer might taste.

Not Tappeto Volante.

I'm not a beer connoisseur nor aficionado, so I can't talk about hops and malts and all that crap, but what I can say is that never in my life have I had such a viscerally bad reaction to tasting a beer. The first sip alone was so horrible I wondered if it had gone off months ago and been put back in the fridge for an hour, and it got even worse from there. I pushed it well away but it the after taste continue to worsen at a rapid rate before finally disappearing after about 10 seconds.

I don't know what horrible must be to a guy who actually likes pbr.

I've never seen that beer, never mind drank it.

This has become my favourite beer.

kungfoo_624895169.jpg

I didn't mind it, wasn't overwhelmed.

I don't get to drink beer much because my wife hates it, and whenever we decide we want a drink, I open a bottle of wine, and then there's no room for beer.

Lately I've been on a mission though to try every Trappist beer in the world.

Anyone else done this? I'm at a loss for where I will find Spencer (only non-European Trappist beer) in Australia.

FWIW of what I've had, have LOVED a couple, and been totally underwhelmed by a few as well. The big winners have been Orval (was 4 years aged), and a 2011 bottling of Westvleteren 8 (yet to find the 12 in Australia).

Semiconductor Sessions IPA 3.5/5:
8_Wired_Semi_Conductor.png

It's okay but the double IPA is miles better. It's refreshing and drinkable enough.

Westmalle Tripel 5/5: One of the best beers. Pale golden beer with what seems like some fruit and spices. There are hints of leaves, clove, banana. Beats the hell out of Budweiser.

beer_2204.jpg

Are you a fan of the Westmalle Dubbel? I prefer it, though that is pretty much symptomatic of my like of dark beers over pale/amber beers.

95f66ebb.jpg

Not sold on this.

Don't give up on wits because of this. Hoegaarden is an acquired taste, but it is a totally different experience in a glass than out of a bottle. Before you write off witbier, get your hands on a bottle of Blanche de Namur, and pour it into a tall glass. Purvis in the city have it for $4 a bottle.

Instagram
There's a photo of it form my instagram feed

Are you a fan of the Westmalle Dubbel? I prefer it, though that is pretty much symptomatic of my like of dark beers over pale/amber beers.

I haven't had the Dubbel yet, but I like a larger variety now so it doesn't matter (light or dark) as long as it's good. I love Chimay. I love California IPAs.

On the Witbier discussion I would recommend St. Bernardus Witbier:

1_3942134_3.jpg

I haven't had the Dubbel yet, but I like a larger variety now so it doesn't matter (light or dark) as long as it's good. I love Chimay. I love California IPAs.

On the Witbier discussion I would recommend St. Bernardus Witbier:

1_3942134_3.jpg

Wasn't huge on the wit, but have gotten a lot of legs out of the Abt 12. That beer is ridiculous.

Wits for me are Hoegaarden as a weekday beer (less than $1.70 a bottle in a case at Costco), and for something nicer the Blanche de Namur. If they put too much of the gruit in they can taste really soapy, and I seem to have a hyper-sensitivity to it in witbier.

Back
Top Bottom