Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may have my wife grab a growler of this tomorrow:

DarkAbbey-label.png

Harriet Brewing
Dark Abbey is our Belgian-style Dubbel. It pours deep ruby-brown with an off-white head. Rum-raisin and dried fruit flavors derived from the malt and sugar are accentuated by fruitiness and subtle spiciness from the yeast. Medium-bodied, smooth, and effervescent.
~ 25 IBU
~ 7.5% ABV

Since DFH pulled out of my state this past year, I like to think that the last bottle of Raison in Tennessee is sitting in my fridge waiting for a special occasion. Good stuff.

Hmmm, good porters. Some widely distributed breweries that make good ones are Samuel Smith (Taddy Porter), Sierra Nevada, and - probably my favorite - Anchor.

Some others that are worth checking out if you can get them:

Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Wasatch Polygamy Porter - really good to be so kitschy

Hmmm, good porters. Some widely distributed breweries that make good ones are Samuel Smith (Taddy Porter), Sierra Nevada, and - probably my favorite - Anchor.

Some others that are worth checking out if you can get them:

Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Wasatch Polygamy Porter - really good to be so kitschy

Thanks! I'll check some of these out :) I wish I would have had time yesterday to stop for something. Unfortunately I can't buy any today because the liquor stores are closed on Sundays because it's still the 1800's here. Stooooopid law.

Pretty good.
I may have ruined my tasting by having a Summit Great Northern Porter first. :shrug:

I love it. I think it's my favorite from Summit. But before I spend all my time drinking GNP, I want to try some others first.

I may have my wife grab a growler of this tomorrow:

DarkAbbey-label.png

Harriet Brewing
Dark Abbey is our Belgian-style Dubbel. It pours deep ruby-brown with an off-white head. Rum-raisin and dried fruit flavors derived from the malt and sugar are accentuated by fruitiness and subtle spiciness from the yeast. Medium-bodied, smooth, and effervescent.
~ 25 IBU
~ 7.5% ABV

that sounds good too....easy to find at any local store?

Pumpkin beer sounds like it would be fucking disgusting.

I've only tried the Blue Moon version (in recent memory) and it has no hint of the taste of actual pumpkin whatsoever, if that's what you mean. But it did taste pretty good.

I love it. I think it's my favorite from Summit. But before I spend all my time drinking GNP, I want to try some others first.

It's fine, but I think it overpowered the subtleties of the Dark Abbey. I didn't drink any water in between to change flavors.

I wish the pumpkin beers I've tried actually tasted like pumpkin, I would then probably like then more.

I'm assuming Czech beer is better than Slovakian beer?
(As an ignorant North American, I find I only care that they are separate countries when it comes to their hockey teams. :reject: )

117101003-MIKKELLER-1000-IBU-beer.jpg

I tried one of these yesterday. If you're a beer nerd you've probably seen/heard of/tried this before. A pale ale would be about 30 IBU (International Bitterness Units), an IPA about 60-70 or so. This is 1000 IBU. And it's really damn nice. Most of the bitterness doesn't come immediately, it's gradual and not quite the masochistic experience you'd expect. Certainly not something you'd want to start off a night with - this is a palette killer - but if you've got the money and feel like something hoppy, check it out. And yes, it comes in its own paper bag.

I tried another bitter beer the same night - 8 Wired Hopwired IPA, from NZ. I actually liked it more than the 1000 IBU, it's got this beautiful citrus/punchbowl thing going on, and it is the most orange beer I've ever poured. If you find it, I definitely recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom