Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
very nice to hear. I always think of the city as a little bland, but I dont know if it's because I'm so used to it. I love living here, but other cities seem to have more culture, in my eyes.
Interesting you bring up the architecture, too. That's one of the things I dislike most about Toronto. It's partially because we have such a young city compare to European cities, or even places like New York, but our buildings seem so meh to me. Too much glass, not enough style. What was it about the side streets that caught your attention?

Oh, and Diemen, I was going to buy some of the other Unibroue brews, but realized they're all 8 & 9%. I was drinking more than a couple that night and didnt want to get trashed, so I'll save them for another time

very nice to hear. I always think of the city as a little bland, but I dont know if it's because I'm so used to it. I love living here, but other cities seem to have more culture, in my eyes.

I agree with you and have been saying that for a long time. Nevertheless, I realize that in Canada, Toronto-bashing is taught at a very young age and is almost encouraged. So I try not to veer into the regurgitated stereotypes, and just speak to what I have observed over time.

Over the years, though, I have grown to really like Toronto. But shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to uphold. :wink:

I will have to work around the Toronto Fringe Festival for any potential beer get-together.
I love our local Fringe, and Toronto's is part of the reason we tacked on this show after Montreal.

I better like the city, I'll be back in October for the GreenBuild Conference, too. (added-- :wink: )

Last edited:
Oh, and Diemen, I was going to buy some of the other Unibroue brews, but realized they're all 8 & 9%. I was drinking more than a couple that night and didnt want to get trashed, so I'll save them for another time

A wise choice, JT. They're damn tasty, but not the best choice for throwing back a few. I kind of like that though - makes you enjoy the beer more if you're drinking less. Same goes for the authentic Belgian trappist beers. They're pretty much all at or over 8%.

Interesting you bring up the architecture, too. That's one of the things I dislike most about Toronto. It's partially because we have such a young city compare to European cities, or even places like New York, but our buildings seem so meh to me. Too much glass, not enough style. What was it about the side streets that caught your attention?

It might have been that the street on which we stayed had a lot of Chicago-esque brownstones, of which I have always been fond. It seemed a bit to me like a cross between the American Midwest and East Coast, without most of the uglier elements of those two areas. Queen's Park was also quite beautiful in the snow, and the streets surrounding the university had a multitude of independent shops and restaurants. I was drawn to all of those things.

On first impression, I preferred it to any American city to which I've been, with the exception of Chicago and perhaps San Francisco.

@Mark I can't see you not enjoying Toronto you seem fairly open-minded and level-headed and a good combo of the two is key for navigating Toronto. ;)

The AGO and ROM are really must sees especially for colder weather visits. I love skating at City Hall during the holidays for all the lights. There are tons of things in the summer to do but Harbourfront is always a great time, always something going on down there.

Unibroue beers are fantastic, my favourite is Fin De Monde my fiance also likes Maudite. Chambly is also nice.

I don't know how I missed this thread as I love trying different beers.

Top five in no particular order

Guinness
Picaroons Mans Best Friend (porter)
Mill St Tankhouse Ale
Moose Light Lime (yes, I know, a light beer.. but Moosehead did a good job with this one)
Fin de la Monde

I enjoy most of Moosehead breweries beer. They are a local brewery and the oldest independant brewery in Canada. Moosehead.ca

My favourite craft brewery would have to be Picaroons out of Fredericton, NB. They have a wide variety of beers, all organic, each with their own merit. I haven't met a Picaroons that I outright disliked. Favourites being Mans Best Friend (a porter), Timber Hog (stout), Dark and Stormy Night (hybrid of English ale and german dunkel), Maple Cream (seasonal) and Dooryard. Picaroon's Traditional Ales - Northampton Brewing Co.

Also enjoy Pumphouse beers. I used to be all about Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but their latest batches miss that succulent dark chocolate taste and I have lost interest. At 4 to 5 bucks a bottle, I'm not risking it. We also like trying Trappist ales. La Trappe being one of our favourites. It's about 8 bucks a bottle, but completely worth it.

Dundee craft brewery out of NJ also has a great selection of beers. We pick up their mix pack whenever we're in the states.

Had a Black & Tan tonight. Meh, not as good as I remember.

Also, had a Grain Belt Nordeast:
57402.jpg

Pretty good local, basic beer. Slightly think and malty.

The Sad Punk said:
I have one if I need to drive... Cascade Light actually goes alright.

I'll be irate if they bring in 0.02. It means my parents, who drink/drive responsibly and always have, can't have a glass of red each if they go out for dinner.

I'd love them to break down the stats for accidents/injuries/fatalities when driving under the influence of alcohol.

I'll be irate if they bring in 0.02. It means my parents, who drink/drive responsibly and always have, can't have a glass of red each if they go out for dinner.

I'd love them to break down the stats for accidents/injuries/fatalities when driving under the influence of alcohol.

Is that a real consideration?

I'd like to see them compare people's drunkeness. My 0.08 abilities are not the same as someone else's. Certainly, I'm not advocating drinking and driving anywhere near the legal limit, but a simple Blood Alcohol Level isn't absolute.

Is that a real consideration?

I'd like to see them compare people's drunkeness. My 0.08 abilities are not the same as someone else's. Certainly, I'm not advocating drinking and driving anywhere near the legal limit, but a simple Blood Alcohol Level isn't absolute.

yeah. it's getting bought up in the media every now and then, and i fear it's going to be one of those things where it's continually brought up until it's implemented.

had a few coronas last night... they went down really well. much better than i remembered.

A fantastic discovery from the pub last night:

kirin-ichiban-logo-for-web.jpg

Crisp, light, but still packed with flavor and body.

kramwest1 said:
Had a Black & Tan tonight. Meh, not as good as I remember.

Also, had a Grain Belt Nordeast:

Pretty good local, basic beer. Slightly think and malty.

The one and only time I went out on St. Pats (loser is me), I had one of those. I recall enjoying it the time.

at a music festival yesterday i was offered a can of Premium Cascade Light Beer by a chick. i declined (i wasn't drinking anyway) and then she said, "see!! even guys won't take it!"

Back
Top Bottom