Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've actually been told that Guinness is the only brewer that cleans all it's own lines. If a pub has it on tap, the company has someone that cleans the lines for them(I assume when they deliver the kegs). I havent actually looked into it myself though, so who knows

Picked up a six pack from Kroger since we've been talking about this so much lately. Fair mix of name brand and microbrews:

Blue Moon - Which for some reason I've never tried. I always got the impression it wasn't so great, I guess just because I've seen it so much? I don't know.

Guinness Extra Stout - Because of Reggo's mentioning and because I always see it and have no clue how it's going to taste.

Shiner Bock - I just love this shit and haven't had it in a long time.

The only Dogfish Head I could find (per Lance's mention) was Indian Brown Ale. I've never had a Brown Ale either so, we'll see how this goes.

I can't recall what the other two are, I'll post whenever I get around to them. One's a pale ale (because, fuck, why not? Love those) and the other...was some kind of wheat? I can't remember. I suck. Anyways, I'm trying to round out my education, we'll see how this goes.

Plus, this means my bottle collection grows larger. Thank you Kroger.

This is the shit, guys. Coffee and beer were apparently M2B:

large_beer.jpg

Picked up a six pack from Kroger since we've been talking about this so much lately. Fair mix of name brand and microbrews:

Blue Moon - Which for some reason I've never tried. I always got the impression it wasn't so great, I guess just because I've seen it so much? I don't know.

Guinness Extra Stout - Because of Reggo's mentioning and because I always see it and have no clue how it's going to taste.

Shiner Bock - I just love this shit and haven't had it in a long time.

The only Dogfish Head I could find (per Lance's mention) was Indian Brown Ale. I've never had a Brown Ale either so, we'll see how this goes.

I can't recall what the other two are, I'll post whenever I get around to them. One's a pale ale (because, fuck, why not? Love those) and the other...was some kind of wheat? I can't remember. I suck. Anyways, I'm trying to round out my education, we'll see how this goes.

Plus, this means my bottle collection grows larger. Thank you Kroger.

i think oneblood and i discussed blue moon in a random music thread. i don't like it very much, but most of my friends do. i'll drink it if it's the best option on tap, but i don't really go anywhere where it isn't. kinda how i feel about sam summer.

brown ales are yummy. even new castle is better than certain other beers.

only boch i've had tasted like bacon. i think it was supposed to, as i vaguely recall there being a pig on the label. i know a lot of people seem to think everything is better with bacon, but beer is definitely not one of those things. sort of soured me against anything calling itself that.

i think oneblood and i discussed blue moon in a random music thread. i don't like it very much, but most of my friends do. i'll drink it if it's the best option on tap, but i don't really go anywhere where it isn't. kinda how i feel about sam summer.

We did, indeed. Blue Moon + orange slice. :drool:

Other favorites:

IMG_3362.jpg

franziskaner%20pint.jpg

3326185838_f60891af25.jpg

23051-bigthumbnail.jpg

Btw, my avatar is my favorite beer in the world - Anchor Steam. I highly recommend taking the Anchor Brewery tour to anyone that's ever in San Francisco (it's free, but call ahead - books up about 2 months in advance). It's an excellent tour with a terrific free tasting session afterward. And Anchor also makes a superb bock, not to mention their other varieties: Liberty Ale, Anchor Porter, Anchor Small Beer, Old Foghorn (barleywine), Anchor Summer Beer. Their Christmas Ale, which changes every year, was especially delicious this year, and if you're a hophead look for Humming Ale. They also have a new one, Brekle's Brown, which I have yet to try.

Welcome to Anchor Brewing

This is the shit, guys. Coffee and beer were apparently M2B:

large_beer.jpg

This makes me very happy. It's fantastic. I'd suggest trying the 90 minute IPA next. Then probably the other two I posted in the RH thread if you can find them. The Punkin is a seasonal brew, so you might not have any luck with that for a while.

Also, I love Guinness. Though I definitely prefer the original over the Extra Stout. One of the best drinks I've ever had was called a "Dufresne" and was merely a pint of Guinness with a hot double shot of espresso dropped into it. Heaven.

I had Guinness out of a can last week and did not enjoy it, though I assume that's because it was in a can.

The cans are actually better than the bottles for that, surprisingly. Provided you get the ones with the little widgets inside and spouts on the lid. Pours better. Still, it really doesn't compare to the draught, no.

If I'm buying beer, more often than not in the winter, I'll get Guinness draught in a bottle. True, not as good as actual draught, but still pretty damn good

Do you remember the days before the cans had widgets? There were little rubber nipple things on the underside of the can that they would inject the nitrogen into. weird

Btw, my avatar is my favorite beer in the world - Anchor Steam. I highly recommend taking the Anchor Brewery tour to anyone that's ever in San Francisco (it's free, but call ahead - books up about 2 months in advance). It's an excellent tour with a terrific free tasting session afterward. And Anchor also makes a superb bock, not to mention their other varieties: Liberty Ale, Anchor Porter, Anchor Small Beer, Old Foghorn (barleywine), Anchor Summer Beer. Their Christmas Ale, which changes every year, was especially delicious this year, and if you're a hophead look for Humming Ale. They also have a new one, Brekle's Brown, which I have yet to try.

Welcome to Anchor Brewing

Nice call. Anchor Steam is fantastic. I don't see it too often in the Midwest, which is a real shame.

Lancemc said:
This makes me very happy. It's fantastic. I'd suggest trying the 90 minute IPA next. Then probably the other two I posted in the RH thread if you can find them. The Punkin is a seasonal brew, so you might not have any luck with that for a while.

Also, I love Guinness. Though I definitely prefer the original over the Extra Stout. One of the best drinks I've ever had was called a "Dufresne" and was merely a pint of Guinness with a hot double shot of espresso dropped into it. Heaven.
I'm going to take a look at a few other places their website listed as local carriers and see what else I can find.
PhilsFan said:
I had Guinness out of a can last week and did not enjoy it, though I assume that's because it was in a can.

Like everyone else is saying, did you drink it from the can or pour it ?

the guinness draught bottles have the little widgets as well... they are very good. the draught bottles are made to be drank straight from the bottle... the draught cans are made to be poured.

why did i have to fall in love with a beer that was so darned picky?

feel like a joke about high maintence women and a correlation needs to be made but i can't think of a good way to word it

Beer always tastes differently from a can. And never does it taste as good as out of a bottle or, optimally, from tap.

that's because it's not actually beer. citrus-flavored pisswater is still pisswater.
:laugh: I've also had just Budweiser. Not awful, not good. Did a bunch of shots of 99 Bananas afterward, so the taste is kind of erased from my brain.

brown ales are yummy. even new castle is better than certain other beers.
:drool: I've only heard good things about Newcastle and want to try it so bad. Have to take a trip to the liquor store soon. Yes, the liquor store. Stupid Utah.

I guess Ashley's post didn't quote, but for Guinness:

Can: Open, wait ten seconds, then pour into a glass.
Bottle: Open and drink it up, no pouring required.
That's the rule of thumb on Guinness' website and wikipedia.

i like newcastle. i know people who bash it, but i've never heard them provide a valid reason why.

Back
Top Bottom