Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's that? Like a beer retail store? We only have the government run The Beer Store and LCBO. There are no private sellers of alcohol in Ontario

Does anyone know if they have Kona Beer at Kona Grill Restaurants?
I haven't been to our local Kona Grill, but that would be an extra incentive.

What's that? Like a beer retail store? We only have the government run The Beer Store and LCBO. There are no private sellers of alcohol in Ontario

I still can't get over that. At least the selections look pretty good.

That varies by city ordinance in Minnesota. I like the gov-run stores for the most part. They almost never have sales, just consistently good prices.

Ya I have no problem with the government run stores either. They're all over the place and are always well stocked with a good variety and are clean. Even in recent years, they've started having sales which they never did in the past The only real issue is that once they close for the night, you're pretty much out of luck. .

I currently live in Alberta and there is no shortage of privately-run beer and liquor stores, and some of which close at 2 a.m.

But I'm a Quebec native and I'm used to being able to buy beer and wine at my neighbourhood convenience or grocery store. It just made everything so convenient - bread, milk, and beer all in one location.

I currently live in Alberta and there is no shortage of privately-run beer and liquor stores, and some of which close at 2 a.m.

But I'm a Quebec native and I'm used to being able to buy beer and wine at my neighbourhood convenience or grocery store. It just made everything so convenient - bread, milk, and beer all in one location.

This is as good a place as any for a warning. People come to Minnesota and buy beer in our grocery stores and don't think anything of it because they can where they come from. But, our grocery stores are only allowed to sell 3.2 shit--Looks like only 6 states still do that.

(Nevermind that the beer in our grocery stores is mostly shit to begin with)

The only real issue is that once they close for the night, you're pretty much out of luck. .

There's a similar situation in Madison, WI, albeit resulting from corporate motivations rather than governmental ones. The tavern association pressured the government to disallow stores from selling alcohol past 9 PM, of course so that people have to go to bars.

Do you guys have a BevMo up there? They'll prob have it.

Aww man... I miss BevMo.

Laz, you should see if your BevMo carries Rauchbier ("Smoked Beer")
germany_accht.jpg

Really tasty stuff - when I was still in the bay area I'd pick up a bottle occasionally and always loved it - they make an Urbock and a Marzen - both definitely live up to the "smoked beer" title, but the Marzen was the best.

Last edited:
I've seen that a few times, but never tried it - I'll have to pick it up next time I see it.

Another good German beer: Spaten Optimator
spaten-optimator.jpg

Dark, roasted malt flavor goodness. And pretty widely available, too. :up:

I was in Texas when I turned 21, so I got used to only having beer in grocery stores.

What a shock when I got back to Indiana and realized that even CVS has a huge supply of beers and liquor.

I think I've gone to a liquor store twice since I've been home.

Breakfast at the pub this morning with a bowl of Irish stew. :up:
I hadn't tried this before and it was very good.
(I don't normally have beer with breakfast! But I made an exception today. :shifty: )

KilkennyIrishred.jpg

I was flabbergasted when I went to a Walmart somewhere and found grog on the shelves. Here you can get it at grocery stores as well but it's all in the actual grog shop, like another little store inside the big store.

Right, I've seen some stores like that, but most of them here, it's just on the other side of the pop aisle.

Here in NB, Canada it's all government owned atm. My little village has a gas station/movie rental/liquor store lol. They've been talking more and more about privatization but I honestly don't mind the ones we have. Wouldn't mind a bit more variety, but they do try to bring in new and different beers.

cobl04 said:
I was flabbergasted when I went to a Walmart somewhere and found grog on the shelves. Here you can get it at grocery stores as well but it's all in the actual grog shop, like another little store inside the big store.

That's some straight up pirate talk right there. What the fuck, cobbler?

So I'm in Manhattan this week and was out at the pub last night. My friend bought me a bottle of Blanche De Chambly and low and behold, it tastes nothing like the Blanche De Chambly back home! Weird. Checked the label and it's imported from the same place. I actually didn't like it as much as what we have. Far too sweet and not citrus-y enough. It had more of a flowery scent than an orangey one. The picture on the bottle looked a bit different too. So if any of you Americans try it because I said it was good, but you think it tastes like ass, it's not my fault

For comparison
Our bottle:

687863.jpg

American bottle:

31.jpg

Jive Turkey said:
So I'm in Manhattan this week and was out at the pub last night. My friend bought me a bottle of Blanche De Chambly and low and behold, it tastes nothing like the Blanche De Chambly back home! Weird. Checked the label and it's imported from the same place. I actually didn't like it as much as what we have. Far too sweet and not citrus-y enough. It had more of a flowery scent than an orangey one. The picture on the bottle looked a bit different too. So if any of you Americans try it because I said it was good, but you think it tastes like ass, it's not my fault

For comparison
Our bottle:

American bottle:

You're in nyc? Come to canal room tonight for Unforgettable fire!

As for beer... check out the half pint in the east village

JT: I think we only get the American bottle here, too. That's probably why I'm not as keen on it as you are. Now I only want to head over there even more.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
You're in nyc? Come to canal room tonight for Unforgettable fire!

As for beer... check out the half pint in the east village

Bah, if I just didn't read this I'd be down. Tell you what. Do you like UFC? One of the guys I'm with and I are looking for somewhere to watch tomorrow. You seem like a cool guy. You down?

At least your drunkposts aren't totally embarrassing...:uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom