Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guinness in the states is perhaps the most disgusting thing I have ever had beer-wise. I thought it was because it is pasteurised here, but not in Ireland?

my tops are Heinekin, Stella, Spaten, Hefeweizen, Oktoberfest and Hoegaarden with a lemon.

Alexander Keith's from Nova Scotia now drunk Canada wide. It's one of the oldest breweries in North America, the other one being Molson in Quebec in 1786.

My favourite bitter would have to be London Pride.

i've tried several beers. i've tried umm, i forget what brand but it was probably a sip of something ian had and hated it. i even went to a microbrewery and tried their sampler thing. a shot glass worth of like six or seven beers, ranging from the super light kinds that look yellowy all the way to dark stouts. they all made me want to puke.

am i destined to hate beer forever? i really do want to like it.

best beer ever:
carlton-dry-fishbowl.jpg
worst beer ever:
n4015l.jpg

Guinness in the states is perhaps the most disgusting thing I have ever had beer-wise. I thought it was because it is pasteurised here, but not in Ireland?

my tops are Heinekin, Stella, Spaten, Hefeweizen, Oktoberfest and Hoegaarden with a lemon.

The only place Guinness Draught is brewed is in Dublin. The kegs that leave the plant and head for America are the exact same kegs that leave for pubs in Dublin.

It's a busy time of year for Guinness brewmaster Fergal Murray, as you might imagine. Not only is he tasked with ensuring the quality of every batch of beer at Dublin's St. James Gate Brewery (which produces approximately 4 million pints each day), but he serves as the globetrotting brand ambassador for the company.

Arriving Tuesday in Dallas from Denver, Murray made several stops during his whirlwind day-and-a-half tour of the city and reprised his role as judge at Trinity Hall Irish Pub's annual pint-pouring competition -- won this year by Riley Paz of The Old Monk. Murray took off the following day for a visit to Milwaukee, followed by a jaunt to Chicago for Saturday's parade with the Emerald Society, then Kansas City. His trip will culminate in New York City Wednesday on St. Patrick's Day, where he's scheduled to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange.

But Murray found a few minutes to share his thoughts on the St. Patrick's Day holiday, explain the difference between Guinness served in Dublin and in Texas and to share some exciting news about the availability of Guinness Foreign Extra in the United States.

"It gets hectic this time of year, but I love it," Murray says between sips of an expertly poured pint of -- what else? -- Guinness on Tuesday night before the competition commenced. "It's our peak moment, and we're trying to extend it as long as we can."

Aside from an obligatory aside about the importance of responsible drinking, Murray insists that he thoroughly enjoys the American celebration St. Patrick's Day -- even if it sometimes borders on a caricature of Irish heritage that boils down to leprechauns, corned beef and booze.

"For Irish people, it is like your July 4, almost," he says. "We don't have the extensive partying like there is here. Visitors come to Ireland and it's almost like a Mardi Gras...We love watching you guys have a good time, as long as you're responsible."

Speaking of visiting Ireland, Murray also comments on the difference between a pint of Guinness Draught served at an Irish pub and one served at an American bar. His answer may surprise those with fond memories of a particularly delicious stout enjoyed during a visit to Dublin.

"There is no difference," he says emphatically. "It has to be perception. You'd expect it to be different, just like if you went to Tuscany and had wine, or Champagne in Champagne, or tequila in Mexico.

"This pint here is gorgeous," he says, tapping the side of his glass. "Better than I get at some places in Dublin."

The confusion may stem from the fact that Guinness Extra Stout -- the stronger, bitterer version of Guinness that comes in bottles -- is brewed in 49 breweries around the world. Those breweries add local water to extract, or "Guinness Essence," to cut down on shipping costs. Over time, local traditions and laws have led to differences between Extra Stout versions found around the world. The Guinness Extra Stout found in Texas is brewed in Canada and, at 5.5 percent ABV, is slightly stronger than the 4.2 or 4.3 Irish and European version.

"But the only place our draught beer is brewed is Dublin," he says. "The same kegs you'd get in Dublin are the ones you get here."

there are many reason why i believe people think the guinness tastes different has to do with perception and pour.

there's a perception that guinness draught is supposed to taste better in europe, especially in ireland, and that gets into a lot of people's heads. when you hear something enough times, you start to believe it.

but the biggest difference i think is the pour... there are many bartenders in the states who simply don't care enough to pour a pint of guinness properly. if i find myself at one of these places, i'll get something else. it's just not the same.

but those pubs, and more importantly, bartenders who take pride in their pour? who take the time to do it the right way, give it the proper time to settle, and hand you a perfectly poured pint with a rich, creamy head? those are some tasty ass pints of guinness.

Belgium%20Cantillon%20Brewery%20bottles.jpg

StoneSmokedPorter.jpg

Bass%20Ale.jpg

3757294601_29d9400ffc.jpg

Youngs%20double%20chocolate%20stout.jpg

chimays.jpg

i'm enough of a beer snob to know yes, the bass is out of place. however, that stuff is good. i don't care what anyone says. it sucks the bar up the street from work no longer has it on tap. but they have bbc steel rail and sam adams boston lager + whatever seasonal brew matches the time of year. so it's almost forgivable.

pretty much everything important i ever learned about beer i learned from this place:
The Moan and Dove :: Amherst, MA - Home

4697_menu_10572.jpg

4697_menu_10573.jpg

i've probably only ever had about half those beers (and consequently not finishing the list in a year's time is why i don't have a mug with my name on it), but that place is great. best thing about living in amherst. too far away now :( i've tried most of the belgian whites and goldens on there, and truly hate them. let's see...beer with oranges in it? no. beer with oranges and cloves? DEFINITELY no. same reason i don't like magic hat...#9 tastes like it has flowers in it. the oatmeal stouts are quality. actually, i probably like those better than the chocolate stout. dogfishhead ipas are tasty. yeah, i like beer.

i used to like guinness. back when i was afraid to try new things, i was served way too many of them at the above establishment to the point i actually asked the bar tender why he hadn't cut me off already. he said me and my buddy were still making a lot of sense, even if we were talking very loudly, and gave me another drink. that wasn't when it became where i could never drink the stuff anymore. that was another bar, another time. and even though it was several years ago, i still don't think i could face another pint ever again.

Just beer from a small, independent brewery. Often owned and operated by a handful of people who are very passionate about beer (more akin to a vineyard whereas the big breweries operate more like big softdrink manufacturers would). In my experience, they tend to have more interesting flavours than the big ones

I've never been a huge fan of beer :reject: I dunno, in my mind it just doesn't taste all that great (though if I had to choose, dark beers are the way to go), and if I'm looking to get drink on, I much prefer liquor (typically rum + coke)...

:drunk:

I'm not exactly a fan of beer. I tried Bud Light with Lime once and it made me want to puke. Heineken wasn't too bad, and I tried a local hefe-weizen that was so-so. The only beer I've liked so far is Guinness Extra Stout. :shrug:

Wow zombie thread back from the dead! I haven't been drinking very much beer lately, but I see that 3 and a half years ago I posted that I liked a beer I've now completely forgotten about. :hmm:

but the biggest difference i think is the pour... there are many bartenders in the states who simply don't care enough to pour a pint of guinness properly. if i find myself at one of these places, i'll get something else. it's just not the same.

but those pubs, and more importantly, bartenders who take pride in their pour? who take the time to do it the right way, give it the proper time to settle, and hand you a perfectly poured pint with a rich, creamy head? those are some tasty ass pints of guinness.

I think it's the pour and the lines. If they're not serving enough (turning over fresh inventory) and cleaning the lines properly, taste is compromised. I've had beautiful pints in the states and in Ireland. They care more about that one brand in Ireland so your odds are better. You can tell by looking at the head if its a good pint. If it looks like Root Beer foam you better walk away.

Back
Top Bottom