Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I regret(?) to inform you guys that I have cut back my beer intake to two per week (at band practice).

I had gone otherwise dry since Canadian Thanksgiving but will probably bend a bit and also have a wee dram (or two) on a Saturday night. :wink:

Just trying it out!

I regret(?) to inform you guys that I have cut back my beer intake to two per week (at band practice).

I had gone otherwise dry since Canadian Thanksgiving but will probably bend a bit and also have a wee dram (or two) on a Saturday night. :wink:

Just trying it out!

:up::up::up:

I'm amazed if I hit 2 bottles of beer per week.
Now, 2 bottles of wine per week would be cutting back for me. :reject:

So, I drink some beer every now and then. I just realized that I am a lager guy, not so much an ale gut.
Because of this I wonder...
1. Does that make me less of a man?
2. How is Samuel Adams viewed in the beer world? I love it...

Not that I care because I'll get whatever I want tonight watching the Bears. I just wondered.

Do yourselves a favor. Get this beer soon.

Stone-Imperial-Russian-2011.png

So right down the street from me is undoubtedly the finest microbrewery that I have ever had the honor of patronizing: Revolution Brewing Co. Last night, I had their latest creation: the "Black Power," an incredibly smooth chocolate stout at nearly 9% alcohol. Any beer lover coming through Chicago should make an effort to stop at Revolution.

:tsk: No need to gloat.
:D

Yeah, that place has a lot going for it. Good beer, food, and people. When I was there in February, they had one on draft called First Year Beer. It's a hopped up porter. Keep an eye out for it this winter.

So right down the street from me is undoubtedly the finest microbrewery that I have ever had the honor of patronizing: Revolution Brewing Co. Last night, I had their latest creation: the "Black Power," an incredibly smooth chocolate stout at nearly 9% alcohol. Any beer lover coming through Chicago should make an effort to stop at Revolution.

:tsk: No need to gloat.
:D

Yeah, that place has a lot going for it. Good beer, food, and people. When I was there in February, they had one on draft called First Year Beer. It's a hopped up porter. Keep an eye out for it this winter.

:lol:

I walked home from the YWCA the other day and noted the time when I passed in front of Harriet Brewing. It is exactly a 30 minute walk from my house, although there is a bar in between as well (about half way :up: ). I could make the hike for a growler or two. :D

I went to a brewery/restaurant last night, which was fantastic. Got the sampler tray, so I was able to taste six beers. Not necessarily happy that I got all six at once, because I lost out on the head on all but one of them.

Foggy Loggy Lager... A smooth, malty, lager styled after the first beer brewed celebrating Prince Ludwig's marriage to Princess Theresa of Saxony in 1810. The celebration of their wedding continued every year after and became our modern day Oktoberfest.

This was a ridiculously easy beer to drink, if that makes sense. Could easily have found myself losing track of how many I had if it were readily available.

6th Anneverary Ale... A mild American Pale Ale made with over 40 pounds of fresh, "Wet" hops, picked just a few hours prior to use in Chesterton, Valparaiso and 3 Oaks, Michigan. The wet hops add a nice residual citrus finish to a clean, crsip ale.

This was terrible. Wasn't a fan at all.

Dont Panic English Pale Ale...Classic English style pale ale, medium bodied, lightly hopped to provide a slight citrus note to the finish of a malty start.
I wished there hadn't been so many pale ales, but the waitress walked away before I could say I didn't want the standard sampler. My mistake. This was also a very light, very easy to drink ale, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Benny's American Pale Ale... A West coast style ale, using all American grown hops and barley. The balance on this pale ale starts to lean towards the hops, with a citrus finish.

This! THIS was the worst of them. I hated hated hated it. It was only 5oz and it was still a struggle to finish it. I have never had such a bitter pale ale. Took me by surprise.

Beltaine Scottish Ale... The 2006 & 2008 World Beer Cup Silver Medal Winner for Scottish Ale. Beltaine celebrates the start of spring each year on May 1st. In Scotland, participants of the Pagen festival typically run around communal fires naked and take home some of the fire to their hearths. A rich amber color and hints of caramel make this beer extremely easy drinking.

This was fine, I didn't love or hate it.

Bavarian Bombshell... Known as Schwarzbier in Germany, a rather strong, but surprisingly smooth, black lager. Nutty, chocolate flavors on the front, with a smooth, velvet finish. A rare beer to find in America. Prost!

Bonnie, be proud of me! I absolutely loved this beer, and wanted more when I was done. Shame we were only stopping in for about an hour, so really this was all I had to drink.

And finally, I did not get to try this beer, but I really was dying to, which is why I was upset I didn't get to change the sampler. Oh well, just more to look forward to next time:

Singing Sands Oatmeal Stout...A tribute to the sands of the South Shore of Lake Michigan, starts with a tan, creamy head and a nice dark hue. Flavors of chocolate, coffee and oatmeal make this stout delicious.

I really hope they mass produce it. It was really good.

Eataly, a big italian restaurant/store type place next to Madison square park has s partnership with dogfish. They were completely sold out if faithfull ale in the store, but the bartender at the rooftop beergarden did say that they should have it on draft "soon"

Have you ever been to Vapiano around Union Square, Headache?

They usually have seasonal italian beers on draft and bottle with large happy hour specials as well.

I'm starting to think that chocolate stouts might be my favorite beer. They go down smoothly, and the good ones, like whatever the hell it was that I was just drinking, are surprisingly light.

Have you ever been to Vapiano around Union Square, Headache?

They usually have seasonal italian beers on draft and bottle with large happy hour specials as well.

If we are suggesting NYC beer places, The Ginger Man - Home needs to be mentioned. (I assume it is still a great place.)

When my good friends used to live in Brooklyn, they would go to the Ginger Man to write their Christmas cards. You could tell where you fell in the card pile by their increasingly sloppy handwriting and how much they would tell you they love you in the card. :D

kramwest1 said:
If we are suggesting NYC beer places, The Ginger Man - Home needs to be mentioned. (I assume it is still a great place.)

When my good friends used to live in Brooklyn, they would go to the Ginger Man to write their Christmas cards. You could tell where you fell in the card pile by their increasingly sloppy handwriting and how much they would tell you they love you in the card. :D

The half pint & rattle and hum are my two go to beer bars in NYC

God Tier:
Franziskaner
Weihenstephaner
Leavenworth Whistling Pig
Lindemans Framboise (what? you know it's good!)
Paulaner

Casual stuff for the weekends:
Harp
Newcastle
Blue Moon
New Belgian 1554
Pyramid
Mac & Jack's
Maritime Portage Bay

Highly recommend Tap House Grill in the Seattle area. Lots of beers there to try.

God Tier:
Franziskaner
Paulaner

:up:
I love a good hefeweizen (especially on draft!), and I alternate between these two as favorite. I also think the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is almost as good as those.

Speaking of SN, this is a great new beer from them. It may be a seasonal, but I hope not.

399488_10150577166363974_637533973_10938123_2036289353_n.jpg

:up:
I love a good hefeweizen (especially on draft!), and I alternate between these two as favorite. I also think the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is almost as good as those.

Speaking of SN, this is a great new beer from them. It may be a seasonal, but I hope not.

399488_10150577166363974_637533973_10938123_2036289353_n.jpg

They had that at my health food store! So I got it. I have yet to try their hefeweizen. Sadly, the store did not have it. My cat seems to approve though. It's pretty good, I like it.

6854846281_2b35675f2a_z.jpg

6854820435_b2b2cfbdcb_z.jpg

I got one for this weekend:
6854830319_6aa4c41a2b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom